Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-11-2022, 03:59 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Reinforcing this. Don’t let the thought of seven books daunt you; as with so many fantasy series, the quality tanks after the first three books. No reason not to do one and done, but I’d strongly advise not going past the third book at most.

Hildea’s right; there are issues with this series and it’s impossible to say whether you can live with them or whether you bail. The first time I tried to read Outlander, I didn’t get past the first few pages before I (literally, if memory serves) threw the book across the room. My pre-eink days. But some years later I wanted mindless entertainment and it fit the bill and I kept going after that. Now, they’ve become hate-reads, because the later books truly are awful.
My mother-in-law has read all of the Outlander books and she does like them. I didn't care for the first book.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 04:00 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
Six of Crows is considered a masterpiece by a small group of YA fans. Many others give the book at least 4 stars on GR. I gave it a half hearted try, and was surprised that my expectations were not low enough. DNFed after a few pages.
I'm not a fan of a lot of YA labeling. To me they are just novels.
Advert
Old 12-11-2022, 09:07 PM   #18
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Notable lacunae:

- Poul Anderson _The Broken Sword_ --- published the same year as _The Fellowship of the Ring_ it was quite influential (c.f., _The Merman's Children_ and _Three Hearts and Three Lions_), esp. on:
- Michael Moorcock --- at least one of his Eternal Champion books should be listed
- Mannly Wade Wellman --- his John Thunstone and Silver John the Balladeer books presaged urban fantasy by decades
- Roger Zelazny --- The Chronicles of Amber or one of the shorter fantasy works would be well worth reading
- C.J. Cherryh's Morgaine books --- notable for a female protagonist written by a female author

Arguably a few older classics should be included as well:

- William Morris was quite influential
- Lord Dunsany --- _The Charwoman's Shadow_ is a fascinating contrast to _The Lord of the Rings_
- David Lindsay's _A Voyage to Arcturus_ was a text which J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis (and the other Inklings) took note of
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 10:21 PM   #19
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Anyway, I've read either the first book of or the entire series of the items that are bolded in the list above. So, which of the ones that are not bolded should I try in the next year?
I've read six of the eight you haven't bolded. Three are classics and two of those are for children, so it depends how you feel about those. Of the classics the one I like most is the Dark is Rising sequence, a series of children's books. A Wrinkle in Time is beloved but is showing its age a bit IMO, and Watership Down is, well, Watership Down (and not really super fantastical).

Outlander is primarily historical epic romance, with a time travel element; I wouldn't call it primarily 'fantasy'. Northern Lights is a children's book, and it's fine but not 'best of all time' fine. I like The Night Circus, and it's a standalone if that is what you're looking for. Readers' reactions are mixed.

I have no plans to read Bardugo, but Gideon the Ninth is on my list for this year.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 04:30 AM   #20
Colonel Cathcart
Addict
Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
TL;DR No mention of Susanna Clarke's Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell?
I can't agree with that list.
Colonel Cathcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2022, 06:20 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

There are the books I would remove from this list and yes, there are plenty of other books that should be on this list.

A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin
The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin
A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L’Engle
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper

These books do not belong on this list. And many more do belong.

Last edited by JSWolf; 12-12-2022 at 06:27 AM.
Old 12-12-2022, 09:08 AM   #22
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

_A Wizard of Earthsea_ is notable as one of the first fantasy novels which was not a direct copy-paste from LoTR, and which had a non-white protagonist --- it deserves to be on this list, and I don't see what else could replace it.

_A Wrinkle in Time_ arguably should be on an equivalent SF list.

_The Dark is Rising_ is a wonderful set of books, which again, pre-dated the urban fantasy craze, and which I would argue makes the world a better place when folks read it.

Another missing text would be Andre Norton's _Witchworld_ books.

A chronological arrangement would be interesting to find other missing texts, and to help make clear why certain books should be included.
Old 12-12-2022, 11:24 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
_A Wizard of Earthsea_ is notable as one of the first fantasy novels which was not a direct copy-paste from LoTR, and which had a non-white protagonist --- it deserves to be on this list, and I don't see what else could replace it.
There are many many books that would replace this. It's terrible. Le Guin is an awful author.
Old 12-12-2022, 12:37 PM   #24
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
The Earthsea books are some of my favorites, especially the first two. The first has a fairly standard coming of age story but the setting is wonderfully unique. The second book though is where I think LeGuin shines. The perspective and empathy we get for the narrator is unrivaled.

I've never figured out why Jon hates LeGuin so much, maybe it's because she rarely writes thriller type novels. Her prose is excellent, without being overdone, and the stories are very unique and generally have a lot of social commentary. The Dispossessed, The Left Hand of Darkness, The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas, etc.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 12:49 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
The Earthsea books are some of my favorites, especially the first two. The first has a fairly standard coming of age story but the setting is wonderfully unique. The second book though is where I think LeGuin shines. The perspective and empathy we get for the narrator is unrivaled.

I've never figured out why Jon hates LeGuin so much, maybe it's because she rarely writes thriller type novels. Her prose is excellent, without being overdone, and the stories are very unique and generally have a lot of social commentary. The Dispossessed, The Left Hand of Darkness, The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas, etc.
She's way too wordy and her characters are not all that likable.
Old 12-12-2022, 03:04 PM   #26
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
If you think LeGuin is wordy, then you've never read a wordy author.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 04:00 PM   #27
WillAdams
Wizard

What novel would you put forth in the stead of _A Wizard of Earthsea_?

Needs to be:

- not an LoTR rip-off/extruded fantasy product
- written by a woman
- has a non-white protagonist
- written by someone in the Western canon
- pre-dates the publication of Earthsea: 1968

to properly take its place in terms of significance/milestones.

Tastes differ, and it's fine if LeGuin isn't to your taste, but it's hard to dismiss _multiple_ Hugo and Locus and World Fantasy awards, as well as a Nebula.
Old 12-12-2022, 04:21 PM   #28
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
If you think LeGuin is wordy, then you've never read a wordy author.
True. Generally I'm a fan of her SF & F, but hated The Lathe of Heaven.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 04:48 PM   #29
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Ha! The Lathe of Heaven is the first of her books I've read, and I loved it.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 05:59 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
What novel would you put forth in the stead of _A Wizard of Earthsea_?

Needs to be:

- not an LoTR rip-off/extruded fantasy product
- written by a woman
- has a non-white protagonist
- written by someone in the Western canon
- pre-dates the publication of Earthsea: 1968

to properly take its place in terms of significance/milestones.

Tastes differ, and it's fine if LeGuin isn't to your taste, but it's hard to dismiss _multiple_ Hugo and Locus and World Fantasy awards, as well as a Nebula.
I'm going to suggest Kindred by Octavia E. Butler. It's definitely good enough to be in the list. Other then the date, it fits all of your other criteria.