Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-20-2018, 12:00 PM   #61
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post
The second choice, the wrong one, now I understand. I have to unzip kobo-update-4.11.11982.zip and copy KoboRoot.tgz as it is. My doubt were that there are much other files in kobo-update-4.11.11982.zip, I think I shouldn't care of them?
Thank You for Your answer, may be I will try again later.

Let's say: I learned to do factory reset
A day when you learn something new is a good day. Good luck with the update.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 12:42 PM   #62
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Yes, having that in the config file will add the rotate icon to the top menu bar for all devices. [...] For the other devices, the choice is there all the time and whichever you choose is active all the time. So, the home screen, library lists, settings and everything else is in landscape mode. They work, but are by no means perfect.
Code:
[DeveloperSettings]
ForceAllowLandscape=true
The above definitely does NOT work on the KA2v1. Yes, you see the landscape mode (immediately). No, you are not able to leave that mode or even select anything from the menu bar or footer.

Its a pity
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2018, 02:19 PM   #63
bearymore
Zealot
bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma678 View Post
Has anyone installed this firmware on ka1? I did it and bricked mine, and I had to factory reset it.
I've got in on my KA1 including several patches and I had no problems. It works perfectly
bearymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 06:10 PM   #64
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
Code:
[DeveloperSettings]
ForceAllowLandscape=true
The above definitely does NOT work on the KA2v1. Yes, you see the landscape mode (immediately). No, you are not able to leave that mode or even select anything from the menu bar or footer.
I had that during the beta one time on the Clara HD. From memory, it cleared up after a reboot, but it wasn't with the released version. I do have it working correctly on a Touch, Glo, Aura H2O, Glo HD and Clara HD. All are with either 4.11.11980 or 4.11.11982.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 02:59 AM   #65
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Quote:
I had that during the beta one time on the Clara HD. From memory, it cleared up after a reboot, but it wasn't with the released version. I do have it working correctly on a Touch, Glo, Aura H2O, Glo HD and Clara HD. All are with either 4.11.11980 or 4.11.11982.
I do use 4.11.11982 and of course, tried a reboot but to no avail. It seems that the touch screen does not work properly as it becomes none-responsible for menu selections. Setting ForceAllowLandscape to false with a reboot did returned all to normal portrait mode. Strange
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2018, 04:08 PM   #66
rogerinnyc
Addict
rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma and Aura One; Kindle Voyage; Galaxy Note 10
For what it's worth, I've loaded 4.11.11982 on my KA1 (as well as my Forma) and have fully patched it and added the ForceAllowLandscape=true line to my .conf file. No problems or freezing at all. The patches applied to the KA1, particularly the tap anywhere to page forward, have now made it a harder decision whether or not to keep the Forma (assuming I even could return it at this point). Oddly, the Forma feels SO much lighter, but it's 7.0 ounces compared to KA1's 8.2 ounces. Wouldn't think that would make such a difference. The Forma's comfort light is also a lot more even and useful (at least for me)
rogerinnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 02:31 PM   #67
JaBu
JaBu began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Mini
Fullscreen not working

Since this version I don't have real fullscreen reading on my Clara HD anymore. I turned off title and footer in reading settings. They aren't visible since I turned them off but now I have margins in the size of the hidden title and footer.

The line in eReader.config is added correctly. Before I used 4.10.11655 and everything worked fine.

So, what's wrong here? Thanks for help
Jan

(Excuse my poor English - I'm from Germany)

My Clara is patched with these settings (same as with 4.10.11655):
libadobe —

libnickel
My 24 line spacing values yes
Custom left & right margins yes
custom font sizes yes
Freedom to advanced fonts control yes
ePub fixed/adjustable top/bottom margins yes
Custom kepub default margins yes
Set KePub hyphenation yes
Fix three KePub fullScreenReading bugs yes
Enable new homescreen yes
Force user line spacing in KePubs yes
Force user line spacing in ePubs 1 of 2 yes
Force user font-family in ePubs (Part 1 of 2) yes
Always display chapter name on navigation menu yes
Wikipedia Search language yes

librmsdk
Force user line spacing in ePubs 2 of 2 yes
Force user font-family in ePubs (Part 2 of 2) yes

nickel
Custom reading footer style no
Reading stats/Author name cut … yes
JaBu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 07:34 PM   #68
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaBu View Post
Since this version I don't have real fullscreen reading on my Clara HD anymore. I turned off title and footer in reading settings. They aren't visible since I turned them off but now I have margins in the size of the hidden title and footer.

The line in eReader.config is added correctly. Before I used 4.10.11655 and everything worked fine.

So, what's wrong here? Thanks for help
The full screen mode is no longer in the firmware. If the setting is in the config file, it will be completely ignored. The options to turn off the title and footer are the official way to get the full screen reading. Kobo have decided to put a margin at the top and bottom of the screen. These are larger than I would like, but use a lot less space than the title and footer. The margin at the top is two or three times larger than the top margin for epubs in previous firmware versions. The bottom margin is harder to judge due to the impact of font size, line spacing and other CSS setting on how far down the screen the text can reach. But, my impression is that it is probably about the same as the top margin.

If you are seeing more than this, it might be one of the patches. I'm pretty sure I saw some issues mentioned with reducing the top margin using patches.

If you still think there is an issue, please post a screenshot of the unpatched device so we can see what is wrong.
Old 11-28-2018, 08:11 PM   #69
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
The full screen mode is no longer in the firmware. If the setting is in the config file, it will be completely ignored. The options to turn off the title and footer are the official way to get the full screen reading. Kobo have decided to put a margin at the top and bottom of the screen. These are larger than I would like, but use a lot less space than the title and footer.
Thanks for the clarification that the old .conf edit is no longer required or useful.
On my H2O2 running 4.11.11982 I have the option to turn off headers and footers enabled. The pages look like this

Are these top and bottom margins considered large? The appear to be no more than one line of text each to me.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:04 AM   #70
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjmz View Post
Thanks for the clarification that the old .conf edit is no longer required or useful.
On my H2O2 running 4.11.11982 I have the option to turn off headers and footers enabled. The pages look like this

Are these top and bottom margins considered large? The appear to be no more than one line of text each to me.
They look to be what I am seeing. As to whether the margins are large, that will depend on who you ask. For some people, any margin at all is wasted space. For me, they are a bit big. I'd like about half of what you are seeing, but I can live with it like this.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:10 AM   #71
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
They look to be what I am seeing. As to whether the margins are large, that will depend on who you ask. For some people, any margin at all is wasted space. For me, they are a bit big. I'd like about half of what you are seeing, but I can live with it like this.
Thanks for explaining that. After reading some of the other posts I had a mental image of acres of white space. I had also wondered if the fact that I convert everything to kepub before sideloading might have made a difference. Now I know it didn't.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:36 AM   #72
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
I used to think the same, but after setting the left and right margins proportionate to the top/bottom ones and reading with it that way for ~30 hours, I don't notice it most of the time.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 07:50 AM   #73
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I've been toying with updating my Glo HD to the latest firmware and now I won't, so this has been very useful intel. Margins that you can live with on a larger device would start to take up way too much of the space on a 6" reader, it seems to me.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 12:26 PM   #74
JaBu
JaBu began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Mini
Smile Reduce footer margin - SOLVED

I had a double post of my question in the 'Instructions for patching ...'-Thread - I thought I deleted it ... but I got help there ...

jcn363 posted a solution to reduce the bottom margin here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...03&postcount=5

I deleted the fullscreen-string in eReader.config and put the suggested code by jcn363/GeoffR into nickel.yaml. Note: you have to enable the bottom margin to get the smaller margin without the text ...

I'm very happy with the result. The margin is much smaller, nearly as before. I can live with that.

Thanks for your help!
JaBu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 12:32 PM   #75
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
At top margin a lot of space and this issue is not resolved
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote