Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-16-2018, 09:50 AM   #31
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quite disappointing, they should have at least included some type of night light and upgraded the Oasis in that regard.
This is quite unappealing for most all of the people who own a more recent Kindle model.
Kobo doesn‘t offer cloud features outside of their store, Amazon doesn’t offer somewhat recent mainstream features in their devices.
I guess the ereader market is now officially the household appliance market.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 09:53 AM   #32
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
Quite disappointing, they should have at least included some type of night light and upgraded the Oasis in that regard.
This is quite unappealing for most all of the people who own a more recent Kindle model.
Kobo doesn‘t offer cloud features outside of their store, Amazon doesn’t offer somewhat recent mainstream features in their devices.
I guess the ereader market is now officially the household appliance market.

I don't think its unappealing, and I have an Oasis 2. For anyone who is looking to buy a Paperwhite its a good upgrade.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2018, 10:00 AM   #33
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I'm really getting tired of Amazon's naming scheme. It's so danged confusing. Every new model they introduce is always the "all-new" model. So how do you differentiate all of the previous "all-new" models?

Amazon considers this Paperwhite to be a 10th gen Kindle, even though it's a 4th gen Paperwhite.

Let's get with the program Amazon and keep it simple. This should be called the Kindle Paperwhite 4.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 10:21 AM   #34
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
No upgrading for me. I'm still quite happy with my Kindle E-reader, 6" Glare-Free Touchscreen Display, Wi-Fi - Includes Special Offers.

Any guesses as to which model I have?

Spoiler:
If you said it's a 7th gen Kindle or a 2nd gen Kindle Touch or a Kindle 7, you'd be correct
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 10:29 AM   #35
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threepwood View Post
Does Audible Support mean it features Immersion Reading?
I'm guessing not. I'm guessing it will be the same as the current Bluetooth support in the Kindle Basic (8th Generation) and the newest Oasis.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2018, 10:32 AM   #36
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Anyone know yet if the new software will be based on Android, or not?
Old 10-16-2018, 10:33 AM   #37
Shad Plante
Groupie
Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 6th Gen Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I wonder if that is due to patent issues or if they just want to save something for next year's model.
Don't you mean to save something for the 2023 model?
Shad Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 10:35 AM   #38
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad Plante View Post
Don't you mean to save something for the 2023 model?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 10:37 AM   #39
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Well, drat, I wanted an E-Carta screen for the Kindle Basic. Water proofing (if it's like the Oasis) means the battery wears out and you throw away the Paperwhite.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:45 AM   #40
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrf View Post
I’m glad Amazon didn’t buy into that gimmick.
I didn't think much of color changing light either until I had an ereader that has it.

Blue light affecting your sleep may be a bunch of bunk. But at night when I'm reading on my Aura and my better half is reading a Glowlight 3, the amber glow is much more pleasant and makes my low lit Aura seem like it's glaring.

I am cheered by Amazon selling a cheap 6 inch reader that is waterproof. Aside from the retired Glowlight Plus, if you want waterproofing you have to buy a larger, more expensive reader.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 10:52 AM   #41
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I am cheered by Amazon selling a cheap 6 inch reader that is waterproof. Aside from the retired Glowlight Plus, if you want waterproofing you have to buy a larger, more expensive reader.
I guess it's nice for those who want it — but I think "down the road" when the battery goes kaput, is it going to be impossible to replace, like the new Oasis? From my personal viewpoint, I would rather have a non-waterproof device where the battery can be replaced.

As for no "warm color" feature ... I'm really surprised they didn't add that. I really thought they would.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:55 AM   #42
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrf View Post
I’m glad Amazon didn’t buy into that gimmick.
I have the new Nook Glowlight with the colored light feature. I found that adding just a little bit of warmth to the light makes it a little nicer but the truth is I only notice it when comparing. While reading my Paperwhite or even my original Kobo Aura with it's splotchy light is just as good.

I do agree that the blue light thing is a gimmick, kind of like the 3D on the Amazon Fire phone. It's there because it sells units not because it makes for a better reading experience.

I think the most dramatic example of this kind of sales gimmick is the glossy computer screen. Matte screens look far better and are easier on our eyes and there's no real price difference but the customer in the store is attracted to the shiny screen so we have glossy screens for the most part.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 11:02 AM   #43
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I guess it's nice for those who want it — but I think "down the road" when the battery goes kaput, is it going to be impossible to replace, like the new Oasis? From my personal viewpoint, I would rather have a non-waterproof device where the battery can be replaced.
How far down the road do you want? My Aura that I bought refurbished in April 2016 is still humming along and shows no signs of slowing. So is the old Nook ST w Glowlight that I bought in 2013.

I'd rather have a waterproof reader that I can take worry free into the tub for five years than a reader with a replaceable battery (both would be even better, I suppose).
Old 10-16-2018, 11:06 AM   #44
xyzhou
xyzhou began at the beginning.

Device: kindle voyage
KP4 can be wrapped in one line....
https://medium.com/@zhouxingyu319/on...7c036e14baed4b
xyzhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 11:07 AM   #45
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I have the new Nook Glowlight with the colored light feature. I found that adding just a little bit of warmth to the light makes it a little nicer but the truth is I only notice it when comparing. While reading my Paperwhite or even my original Kobo Aura with it's splotchy light is just as good.

Barry
Barry, do you ever read in a completely darkened room? That's when I most notice the amber light.

I agree that the light on my Aura is perfectly adequate. So is the 212 ppi screen. But that doesn't mean newer features aren't notably nicer.