Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 09-12-2016, 05:21 PM   #1
eggheadbooks1
Read, don't parrot.
eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kobo Touch, Aldiko for Android
Font embedding for Apple

I have discovered that Apple, as only Apple can, have complicated font embedding.

I did some research and discovered the following:

In order for the font to be recognized, add this to the metadata in the content.opf:

Code:
<meta property="ibooks:specified-fonts">true</meta>
Done.

The in a text editor (I used Notepad), create a text file with the following:

Code:
<display_options>
   <platform name="*"> <!-- allowed values for platform "iphone", "ipad", or "*" for all -->
     <option name="specified-fonts">true <!-- must be set to "true" for embedded fonts -->
   </platform>
</display_options>
Change extension from .text to.xml and add to the Miscellaneous folder. Done.

But then I found another site, newer date, that stated that for the above to work, I also had to change:
Code:
<package xmlns="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf" unique-identifier="bookid" version="3.0">
to
Code:
<package xmlns="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf" unique-identifier="bookid" version="3.0" prefix="rendition: http://www.idpf.org/vocab/rendition/# ibooks: http://vocabulary.itunes.apple.com/rdf/ibooks/vocabulary-extensions-1.0/">
This Sigil will not let me do.

Is this final step necessary for iBooks to read an embedded font in an ePub built in Sigil? If so, I can edit in Dreamweaver and rezip the file. But wondering if this is an ePub2 versus ePub3 thing.
eggheadbooks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 05:57 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Use my plugin to add the com.apple.ibooks.display-options.xml file.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=272241

It really goes in the META-INF folder (Sigil handles a prexisting com.apple.ibooks.display-options.xml file by showing it as being in the MISC folder), but you can't add files to the META-INF folder with the gui (manually adding it to the MISC folder will never work).

As for manually changing the package version, you can't do it. There's more to creating an EPUB3 than changing the package version to "3.0". And the package version is vital to many Sigil routines. That's why it can't be changed after the epub has been created.

Luckily there's an output plugin that can convert your EPUB2s to EPUB3s (though this is the first I've heard that embedded fonts will only work in iBooks with EPUB3s).
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=250566

As to adding:
Code:
 prefix="rendition: http://www.idpf.org/vocab/rendition/# ibooks: http://vocabulary.itunes.apple.com/rdf/ibooks/vocabulary-extensions-1.0/"
to the package tag, I'm not experiencing any trouble doing so. As long as you're not trying to change the package version at the same time, I have no trouble adding all that extra Apple stuff to the tag.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 09-12-2016 at 06:29 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2016, 06:45 PM   #3
eggheadbooks1
Read, don't parrot.
eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I did a test whereby I created the file as per my initial post, unzipped the ePub, added the xml file to the META-INF file, re-zipped, and renamed the extension. The ePub works in ADE so I am assuming I didn't break anything. Is there anything that doing it this way will not do correctly?

Quote:
...(though this is the first I've heard that embedded fonts will only work in iBooks with EPUB3s)...
I hope that is the case. Then I don't have to do anything more than the first two steps in my initial post (either manually or via your plugin), correct?

Also, your linked post on the first plugin states "Select a pre-existing (and iBooks valid) XML file using the file dialog..." How does one know if the file created is an iBooks-valid XML file? I made mine in Notepad (using the code provided on a blog post and reproduced above) but I could do it again in Dreamweaver.
Old 09-12-2016, 06:55 PM   #4
eggheadbooks1
Read, don't parrot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggheadbooks1 View Post
I did a test whereby I created the file as per my initial post, unzipped the ePub, added the xml file to the META-INF file, re-zipped, and renamed the extension. The ePub works in ADE so I am assuming I didn't break anything. Is there anything that doing it this way will not do correctly?
I just did an ePubcheck on the file in an attempt to answer my own question, and even though the file works, it fails validation because the mimetype file is not the first file in the archive. So I'll install your plugin.
Old 09-12-2016, 06:58 PM   #5
eggheadbooks1
Read, don't parrot.

Spoke too soon. I do not have Python nor any knowledge of how to use it. Is the plugin available simply as an install in some way?
Advert
Old 09-12-2016, 07:08 PM   #6
eggheadbooks1
Read, don't parrot.

Okay, figured it out:

1. Download zipped file at bottom of post.
2. In Sigil, Plugins > Manage Plugins.
3. Add Plugin. Add zipped file. (Uses bundled Python.)
4. Plugins > Edit > AddiBooksXML.

Lovely. Thank you.

P.S. I didn't see the attachment at first because I saw the link to GitHub so thought that was where I had to go to get the plugin. Panicked as soon as I read the page. Way over my head.

Last edited by eggheadbooks1; 09-12-2016 at 07:11 PM.
Old 09-12-2016, 07:16 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you have a recent version of Sigil, you don't need to have Python installed. Just make sure the "Use Bundled Python" option is checked (in Plugins->Manage Plugins) and download the plugin and install it (using the same Manage Plugins dialog).

Do not unzip or rename any Sigil plugin before installing it.

EDIT: I see you figured it out while I was typing my response.
Old 09-12-2016, 07:46 PM   #8
eggheadbooks1
Read, don't parrot.

Quote:
EDIT: I see you figured it out while I was typing my response.
I do try to be proactive while I await responses. Sometimes I actually manage to figure it out. (May I suggest that you edit your post on the plugin to draw attention to the attachment at bottom? I missed it at first and I suspect a few others like myself did too, going as I did first to GitHub and immediately hyperventilating.)

Thank you for your help. Problem has now been solved. Much appreciated.

*&^%$ Apple. This is just like them to demand nonsense like this. What was wrong with the standard font-embedding method?
Old 09-12-2016, 07:55 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
What was wrong with the standard font-embedding method?
The nih syndrome is endemic in IT circles

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:04 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
(May I suggest that you edit your post on the plugin to draw attention to the attachment at bottom? I missed it at first and I suspect a few others like myself did too, going as I did first to GitHub and immediately hyperventilating.)
I suppose I could. But nearly every author of every plugin would need to do the same thing. Attachments come at the end of the post ... always have at Mobileread (which is how most Sigil/calibre plugins are shared).
Old 09-12-2016, 11:12 PM   #11
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
*&^%$ Apple. This is just like them to demand nonsense like this. What was wrong with the standard font-embedding method?
Welcome to the club.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:58 PM   #12
eggheadbooks1
Read, don't parrot.

Quote:
I suppose I could. But nearly every author of every plugin would need to do the same thing. Attachments come at the end of the post ... always have at Mobileread (which is how most Sigil/calibre plugins are shared).
Yes, but then you have to deal with daft amateurs like me.
Old 09-14-2016, 09:41 PM   #13
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:

It really goes in the META-INF folder (Sigil handles a prexisting com.apple.ibooks.display-options.xml file by showing it as being in the MISC folder), but you can't add files to the META-INF folder with the gui (manually adding it to the MISC folder will never work).
Hell, we added ours manually for a few years. It worked okay. Not IN Sigil, of course; make the book, unzip, add, zip, etc.

Quote:
Luckily there's an output plugin that can convert your EPUB2s to EPUB3s (though this is the first I've heard that embedded fonts will only work in iBooks with EPUB3s).
<Snipperoo.>
You don't. We've embedded fonts for dogs' years, in eBook terms, and they have worked fine. Hell, kids, mostly, we're STILL not making ePUB3, except when we do FXL, for iBooks, and unless we've exploded into a big fiery ball and someone forgot to tell me (yeah, right, like THAT would ever happen...) our fonts are trucking along quite happily in ePUB2 on Apple's iBooks store.

We have embedded good fonts, bad fonts (repeat after me: The customer is ALWAYS right...); well-known foundry fonts, obscure fonts, and fonts that I never thought would work. (Viking runestones, anyone?). They all work cheerfully on iBooks. ePUB 3 is simply not a requirement, or...no. It's just not. AFAI can recall, even the xml file requirement was dropped...2 years ago?

Offered FWIW. (And less than that, even...)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 01:12 PM   #14
eggheadbooks1
Read, don't parrot.

DiapDealer:

Oh, dear, another problem. So after embedding the font and using your plugin to add the xml file, and adding the following line of code to the content.opf in the metadata section as dictated by Apple--

Code:
<meta property="ibooks:specified-fonts">true</meta>
--Apple have rejected the ePub due to that line of code. This code causes ePubcheck to invalidate the ePub, and my understanding was that I was to ignore this invalidation because that line of code is non-standard, specific to Apple, and just typical Apple bullshit. But Apple have rejected the ePub, citing the same errors as those returned by ePubCheck (see attached ss). Was I wrong in my understanding? Is that line of code ONLY for the .iba format?

I have sent a new file to my colleague with that line of code removed and suggested she try that and see whether or not iBooks recognizes the embedded font without it. In the meantime if you or others are around and can shed some light on this, that would be awesome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-2.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	213.4 KB
ID:	152054  
Old 09-30-2016, 01:23 PM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I've no idea, to be perfectly frank. Adding the xml file was the only thing I ever knew that had to be done for iBooks. This is the first I've heard of the opf metadata entry. It wouldn't be the first time they required non-standard stuff that won't pass IDPF validation, though.

That meta entry looks like it belongs in an EPUB3 to me, not and EPUB2 - which is what your epub appears to be.

Maybe someone who groks iBooks will have a better idea.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 09-30-2016 at 02:33 PM.

Tags
apple, embedded fonts, epub2