Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 10-31-2018, 06:18 PM   #301
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
Geoffrey Palmer is perfect as Eeyore.
Oh my goodness, he would be, wouldn't he?
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 08:04 PM   #302
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Count me in as another fan of the Silly Old Bear and his friends, especially Eeyore.

I used to be in and out of the E. P. Dutton offices when the original stuffed animals were displayed there, and it was always delightful to see them.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:21 AM   #303
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I just finished reading an intriguing novella that inspired an idea for a future theme: co-written.

I'm often intrigued by books written by two or more authors. As a writer I'm curious to know how they did it (I'm not a team player), and as a reader I'm curious see whether one voice or another is more apparent, and whether, together, the authors have made something unique in the combination.

So I'm just adding this here in the hope that if I forget, next time we're looking for themes, someone else might remember.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:46 AM   #304
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I just finished reading an intriguing novella that inspired an idea for a future theme: co-written.

I'm often intrigued by books written by two or more authors. As a writer I'm curious to know how they did it (I'm not a team player), and as a reader I'm curious see whether one voice or another is more apparent, and whether, together, the authors have made something unique in the combination.

So I'm just adding this here in the hope that if I forget, next time we're looking for themes, someone else might remember.
Oh, interesting! Just for starters, I know some co-writers take turns with chapters, others just pass it back and forth, some I suspect have specialties in regard to dialogue, description, character development and so forth. Not limited to those possibilities, either.

And sometimes if they don't make it evident, you might not be aware that it's co-authored at that.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:43 AM   #305
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Oh, interesting! Just for starters, I know some co-writers take turns with chapters, others just pass it back and forth, some I suspect have specialties in regard to dialogue, description, character development and so forth. Not limited to those possibilities, either.

And sometimes if they don't make it evident, you might not be aware that it's co-authored at that.
It is interesting to find out that some apparently singular authors are in fact two people. Our group might be able to raise some surprises in amongst the nominations.

My interest is particularly with those that write separately as well as occasional collaborations, I suppose because it gives more fodder for comparison and consideration. The aforementioned novella was selected on pretty much this basis; each had written some excellent short stories and I was curious to see what they'd do together.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:52 AM   #306
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
The Wife Between Us by Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen is set up with alternating sections with different POVs. The audiobook included an interview with them about how they collaborated. Pekkanen has written other novels alone; Hendricks hasn't.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 12:27 PM   #307
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Sorcery and Cecelia was written as an epistilary where the authors took turns writing to each other from their character's POV. They say they didn't coordinate either, just built on the previous letter. I haven't read the sequels but this one worked well.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 02:55 PM   #308
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

The NLBC is everywhere redux

Or, another synchronicity.

Shortly after I read in the November selection, Alias Grace, those lines from Tennyson's Maud:

Quote:
My heart would hear her and beat,
Were it earth in an earthy bed;
I read (heard) those exact lines quoted in Mr. Mulliner Speaking by P. G. Wodehouse.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:37 PM   #309
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Bookworm_Girl included her favorite NLBC selection in the main "best of 2018" thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
My most memorable books of 2018 were in no particular order:
My favorite MobileRead New Leaf Book Club selection was Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury.
Which is something I really should have asked about specifically. Fortunately I can edit that post...

For me, I have to go with The Scarlet Pimpernel for my favorite this year. Not the best writing, not the most epic story, not the most well-known, but definitely the most enjoyable read. I also really enjoyed The Old Man and the Sea and Dandelion Wine and both of our non-fiction selections which were good but flawed (seriously in places).

What was your favorite selection from this year?
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 11:13 PM   #310
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

My post on that thread had indirectly indicated my pick: Never Let Me Go. It wins for me on all fronts and is probably the only one I'm likely to read again any time soon (which is how I tend to judge most fiction these days).

Runners up: The Scarlet Pimpernel was fun, Passing was interesting and intriguing to study, The House on the Strand was entertaining and The Three Musketeers is now one of those "I've read that" achievements.
Old 12-20-2018, 01:38 AM   #311
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Good question Dazrin. Mine are:

Passing, Dandelion Wine, Never Let Me Go and The House on the Strand. It's hard to pick my top favourite from those four, but I think it was probably Dandelion Wine, though by a very short nose.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 05:48 AM   #312
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

I rated three of this year's choices with five stars at Goodreads, but I've read The Scarlet Pimpernel too many times and Dandelion Wine too recently to count them as this year's best, which leaves The Old Man and the Sea, which is also on my year's ten-best list. A masterpiece.

Honorable mention goes to Passing which was a terrific book to discuss to kick off the new club and The Three Musketeers for its wit and liveliness.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:59 AM   #313
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
The only book club book to make my top 10 this year was Dandelion Wine. I had never read it and I really, really enjoyed it. I don't count Never Let Me Go as it was a re-read for me, though I do love it.

Passing was a solid 4 for me, and I am glad I read it. But it didn't make my top ten. I read 110 books this year and only 10 of them got 5 stars from me.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 11:31 AM   #314
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
For me, The Old Man and the Sea was a favourite even though it was a re-read from fairly recently. Still powerful and satisfying, proving good books don't have to be 600 pages long.

Passing was another favourite, especially the Audible version. Read during a long trip with my DW, and thoroughly enjoyed.

What was more satisfying this year than the actual books read were the books discovered and read as a result of the themes. The list is long of books that I would not have read and thoroughly enjoyed were it not for the club.

When I get a chance later in the week, I'll try to post some of those.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 04:02 PM   #315
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
The Scarlet Pimpernel was a runaway favourite for me. I also enjoyed The Three Musketeers and The Old Man and the Sea.

The Radium Girls I found informative and moving. It was quite topical in that Ireland is facing ia similar type of medical scandal involving misdiagnosis of cervical cancer in a number of women—some of whom have died.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote