Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 05-20-2020, 07:45 AM   #16
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Someone might want to look at why the books are 140GB and 152GB long respectively. They are rather (!) large.
Not GB - they are XXX Megabytes long!
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:44 AM   #17
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
thought so.

well my tests with 150Mb and 270Mb files worked ok. same CC app.

so i think its probably a google drive issue

unless someone can replicate the error outside of using google drive as the source
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2020, 08:46 AM   #18
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
My bad.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 09:05 AM   #19
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
thought so.

well my tests with 150Mb and 270Mb files worked ok. same CC app.

so i think its probably a google drive issue

unless someone can replicate the error outside of using google drive as the source
The error in post one says that CC is running out of memory.
Specifically
Code:
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: 
Failed to allocate 139,927,976 bytes
Free memory: 25,149,440 bytes
Memory until OutOfMemory: 53MB
max allowed footprint 170,714,096 bytes
growth limit 201,326,592 bytes
The important lines are Free Memory and OutOfMemory. IIUC that is saying that at most some 78MB (53 + 25) is available for an allocation of 150MB (not GB ). I don't recall if Google Drive supports paged fetching, which is required in this case.

My guess is that the OP's device doesn't have much RAM.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 01:09 AM   #20
malexherron
malexherron began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Sorry for delayed response, here is some input regarding main points discussed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Given that these books are illegal, I would say DO NOT HELP THE OP WITH ILLEGAL EBOOKS!
I own these titles in hardcover and keep PDF backups for personal ease of use.

Quote:
A screenshot showing the reported source file sizes of the files that CC cannot download may be a clue
I doubt he has a 146Gb Google drive !
These files are not really anywhere near 1GB in size. The two as shown in the logs are 67MB and 145MB respectively. I have used CC for quite some time to manage books quite a bit larger than these. This has only become an issue recently.

Quote:
if you can get those books ok via a different app, that will prove it is a CC issue, not a books issue
e.g. with moon reader, try connect directly to calibre OPDS server
another elimination proof would be to simply export/download the books from google drive to device, leaving out CC
The same titles downloaded to the device directly from the Google Drive app without any issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
The important lines are Free Memory and OutOfMemory. IIUC that is saying that at most some 78MB (53 + 25) is available for an allocation of 150MB (not GB ). I don't recall if Google Drive supports paged fetching, which is required in this case.

My guess is that the OP's device doesn't have much RAM.
I am using a SM-T580 which has 2GB of RAM. I would agree this is not much, but hopefully enough to grab a 150MB file

Looking through the other books I have used through CC+gDrive+same tablet and there are more than 5 titles of greater storage size than this.

Please let me know if I can provide any further details to assist.
malexherron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2020, 01:20 AM   #21
malexherron

forgot to mention that i also tested the current version by deleting a previously downloaded file and attempting to redownload. i was met with the same error.
Old 05-22-2020, 01:47 AM   #22
malexherron

also tried an alternate device (with slightly more memory and had never used CC before) and the same error occurred.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:25 AM   #23
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
I tried Google Drive twice and my Calibre library broke twice afterwards.
Google drive should be removed from the cloud connections.
It is not working correctly
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 03:31 AM   #24
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I tested with a 270Mb book and the same version of the app, on a 2Gb Ram tablet,& that worked Ok ( but not from G Drive) SO i think you need to eliminate G drive as a suspect.
I assume you have the big books in calibre library as well as in cloud - so can you connect CC to calibre content server or as a wireless drive and retest. if the error goes away but returns when you revert to G drive that will be a big clue. Maybe the API that CC uses for G drive needs attention.

as to G drive breaks calibre... " its been known for years that operating a live library in G drive will do damage, as will a live library in other cloud that is also background syncing while calibre is working. A COPY of calibre library in any cloud , for remote access when main library PC is off, shoudl be safe.
Old 05-22-2020, 03:40 AM   #25
stumped
Wizard

PS to be super thorough, you could redo all the tests but check the free RAM,. not the total RAM on the device before each test
even a very badly written interface should need no more than 2x the book file size - to copy and re-assemble it before saving
so my 270Mb book test should not need more than 540Mb RAM, probably less

& we all need to be clear on whether we suspect the 2 / 3 GB RAM or the 16/ 32... storage as being the problem area
Old 05-22-2020, 05:53 AM   #26
malexherron

downloading from local content server worked without issue. seems isolated to gDrive.

checking memory usage during download showed CC using ~225MB of memory, which went down slightly after the failure to save, but still used ~200MB.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:44 AM   #27
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by malexherron View Post
downloading from local content server worked without issue. seems isolated to gDrive.

checking memory usage during download showed CC using ~225MB of memory, which went down slightly after the failure to save, but still used ~200MB.
that's good detective work

what puzzles me is that I don't think the new developers have reworked Google drive access yet. must be somewhere else in the new code, if these sizes of books worked in the 2018 version

hopefully they will fix it for you quickly.
Old 06-18-2020, 09:20 PM   #28
malexherron

bump

any indication this might be addressed? perhaps related to outstanding gDrive issues?