Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 05-17-2020, 04:12 PM   #16
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashTash View Post
Hello,

yes I know I do. And I have tested it directly on Kindle device. And the popups do not work properly, the sentence lines get broken. See the picture I posted above in one of the replies.

Thank you,

Tash
But the file you're testing hasn't been through the PW (Publishing Workflow) yet, right? You are testing a mobi that you made, from an indd-generated ePUB?

Did you clean up the formatting, the HTML and CSS, of this ePUB?

And lastly--from your coding, I'm guessing the answer is no, but are you using a fixed-layout ePUB, and building your MOBI from that? You're not, right? (The lack of positioning spans in the footnote implies that, but..)

Lastly, remove the widows and orphans coding in your footnote paragraphs. That most certainly won't help you with endnotes, which is what these are.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 05:45 PM   #17
rez9000
rez9000 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Gen3
I'm a relative newbie and I'm not a designer, coder or ebook author or anything of that stripe. I thought I'd put my question in this thread just to save space.

I won't go into any major details yet, as an answer to an initial question may be sufficient:

The question is this: if I have, in an AZW3 format book, a footnote that consists of more than one paragraph, is it possible to markup the text of the footnote so that it displays it as multiple paragraphs within a popup footnote on my Paperwhite?

Just for some background, those who are familiar with the Discworld novels will know that there often lots of footnotes, some of which can take up close to half a page (in a print copy).

I have them all in print, but I wanted to also have them in ebook form, so I've been steadily buying them on Amazon. However, I'm not happy with the style and 'feel' of them, so I've been adjusting them to suit my own personal taste (like using custom fonts for the title page and the main text, etc.). It all works fine, but when it comes to the footnotes, the popup form won't behave the way I want it to - e.g. it doesn't use the font I've set in the css, it doesn't fully justify and it runs all the paragraphs together. So I want to know if it can behave the way I want it to at all.

In the footnotes file I have at the end of the book, in my Calibre editor preview page and on the reader itself, the page containing the footnote looks absolutely fine. But in the popup, instead of this:

"The shape and cosmology of the Disc system are perhaps worthy of note at this point.
There are, of course, two major directions (more text that covers a number of lines and on and on and on.
More text making up a third paragraph of maybe around ten in this single footnote."

It displays it like this:

"The shape and cosmology of the Disc system are perhaps worthy of note at this point.There are, of course, two major directions (more text that covers a number of lines and on and on and on.More text making up a third paragraph of maybe around ten in this single footnote."

I wanted to ask before posting any stylesheets and other info, whether it's even possible to adjust the layout of a popup footnote. If not, then that's that. If it is possible, then I can post my code and open it up for dissection and guidance.

Thanks in advance.
rez9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
error, footnotes, help mobi, incorrect, popup footnotes