Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 07-11-2019, 11:57 PM   #1
MciMc8
MciMc8 can teach chickens to fly.MciMc8 can teach chickens to fly.MciMc8 can teach chickens to fly.MciMc8 can teach chickens to fly.MciMc8 can teach chickens to fly.MciMc8 can teach chickens to fly.MciMc8 can teach chickens to fly.MciMc8 can teach chickens to fly.MciMc8 can teach chickens to fly.MciMc8 can teach chickens to fly.MciMc8 can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3
Inkpad 3 issues

Started how with fast battery depletion on my Inkpad 3. Tried different combinations of settings and finally did a factory reset as suggested by Pocketbook support.
Now my inkpad freezes after a few minutes of reading and I just tried playing some mp3-s and it froze after about 5 minutes. The only way to get it restarted is to plug it into a power source.
I am getting constant file system error notification but doesn't seem to be an error and no problems when running through repair procedure.
When the inkpad restarts it takes me back to the beginning setup process.
I am wondering if firmware and software are the same on the inkpad??
Can I reinstall the firmware? How do I get to the root files on the Inkpad?

It doesn't appear that anyone has had as many issues at the same time as I am having. Nor have I seen any solutions -- seems to be a dearth of answers.
Pocketbook support doesn't seem to have answers which is surprising or is there a way to get their attention. Can't find if they give a one year warranty so I can send it in for repair or replacement?

I haven't mentioned a number of little glitches that appear with the major ones. Reverts to default font and size after freezing. Doesn't remember the page I am on when it freezes so it reverts to the last 'known' font.
It will stop charging before it reaches 100%. Even though I have shutdown after x minutes turned off it will still turn off randomly.
Help greatly appreciated. I have emailed Pocketbook support again.
thanks,
MciMc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 02:07 AM   #2
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
Have you also tried formatting the internal memory?
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2019, 12:50 PM   #3
MciMc8
MciMc8 can teach chickens to fly.MciMc8 can teach chickens to fly.MciMc8 can teach chickens to fly.MciMc8 can teach chickens to fly.MciMc8 can teach chickens to fly.MciMc8 can teach chickens to fly.MciMc8 can teach chickens to fly.MciMc8 can teach chickens to fly.MciMc8 can teach chickens to fly.MciMc8 can teach chickens to fly.MciMc8 can teach chickens to fly.

No -- haven't tried that one yet -- I would like to reinstall the firmware -- have you done this and with what result?
Old 07-12-2019, 01:05 PM   #4
MciMc8

I reformatted the internal memory. Thought there was some ilmprovement (display of library) but when I disconnect power I can only read for a few minutes before it freezes and won't restart unless I reconnect power.
Old 07-12-2019, 04:07 PM   #5
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
I think Forkosigan is a member here, too. He's from the Pocketbook support team. Write to him to ask about a repair under warranty.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2019, 04:11 PM   #6
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I'm not sure if this is as big a problem as it used to be long ago, but badly formed ebooks could cause similar problems to what you are seeing. There is an automatic process that searches the filesystems for ebooks, and then analyzes them and adds the details to the library database. It was possible for a badly formed ebook to cause the analyzing program to run at 100% for a long time, running out the battery and keeping the rest of the ebooks from being analyzed. The only solution was to remove the bad ebook from the device. So, you could try removing all your ebooks, and then adding them back gradually until you see the device acting up again. You might be able to find any bad ebooks that way if that is what is causing your problems.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 07:34 PM   #7
MciMc8

Right now I have only a few of my own ebooks left on my inkpad. Is there any way to tell if the program is stuck at 100%? And, do you know how to re-install the firmware so I can start completely fresh. I can clear my ebooks from the device and see if that makes a difference -- thanks for the idea, will update.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:50 PM   #8
MciMc8

updating

Last edited by MciMc8; 07-12-2019 at 07:53 PM. Reason: copy of last message
Old 07-12-2019, 07:52 PM   #9
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You need to run a command-line shell on the device. You can do that by installing pbterm and typing at a software keyboard on the device, or by installing a networked shell connection program like utelnetd and typing at an external computer. Once you have the shell running, you can run 'ps ax' to see what is currently running on the device. 'top' will work if you are using the networked connection (not sure that pbterm will work with a dynamically updating program like top).

If you're desperate, you can right a shell script that runs 'ps ax' and writes the output to a file on the SD card. If you give the script the '.app' suffix and put it in the Applications directory, then you can run it from the Applications tab.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:29 PM   #10
MciMc8

At 100% charge inkpad thinks it is out of power and shuts down -- not freezing. I am waiting for someone to tell me how to re-install the firmware and hopefully start fresh. I found a thread on the INkpad 2 for installing firmware -- holding power button or both page buttons -- something like that but is it the same for the inkpad 3? I don't want to brick it.
So, hoping that somebody can tell me whether it is possible to reinstall the firmware and if so, how to do it.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:30 PM   #11
MciMc8

Does this work on the inkpad 3?
Go to the Pocketbook International website (here) and download the ZIP file for the v4.4 firmware.
Open the ZIP file and find the BIN file.
Copy that BIN file to the root folder of your InkPad.
Unplug the InkPad from the USB cable and press and hold the power button until it turns off.

To install the firmware, press and hold both of the page turn buttons. While holding them, press the power button to turn on the InkPad.

You'll know the process started if you see small lines of text in the upper left corner, and you'll know the process worked if, after about 3 (ish) minutes of small lines of text appearing on the screen, the InkPad reboots and the screen looks something like the photos I posted above.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:04 AM   #12
rkomar
Wizard

I don't have an Inkpad 3, but those are the correct instructions for my Inkpad 1 and every other PocketBook device I own. You can always go to their website and download the user manual for your model if you want to be 100% sure. However, the v4.4 firmware is an old version for the Inkpad 1. You need the latest for the Inkpad 3 (v5.19). See here: https://www.pocketbook-int.com/us/su...tbook-inkpad-3
Old 07-13-2019, 11:20 AM   #13
MciMc8

Yes, thanks for the answer. It is the 5.19 version I want to install. I do have the user manual and will check it.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:50 PM   #14
MciMc8

Stuck -- Thought re-installing the firmware would fix it but it looks like the battery is dead even though it can show 100 percent, or more likely, the device thinks the battery is dead and powers off. I read for about 12 minutes before it shut down.Battery charge showing 95 % but it will not stay on when disconnected from power. Just tested again -- shut down at 89 %. Question is what is causing it to be stuck in this loop?
Old 07-13-2019, 05:07 PM   #15
rkomar
Wizard

Perhaps it's a bad battery and needs to be replaced. I doubt that it is a software issue.

Tags
battery, battery replacement, firmware, freeze, inkpad