Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-20-2020, 02:26 PM   #151
SleepWithMachine
not meant sexually
SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nova Air C
Quote:
Originally Posted by psbernitz View Post
I always get notifications like "Google Play requires action" but I dont want to register my reader on google
So just turn it off when you dont need it ?
> settings > applications > enable google play >
SleepWithMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 05:09 AM   #152
Pinkelman
Pinkelman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
My Onyx Boox Nova 2 arrived a couple of days ago, and my first impressions are good.

One thing that surprised me, was the lack of support for fixed-layout epub3's by the built-in Neo app. I've tried a couple of other Android-apps for those, and the best option so far appears to be Google Play Books.

The built-in fonts seem to contain a lot of different-language versions of a font called "Noto", with serif-versions without serifs. Does anybody know a way to remove or hide those? That would make adding other fonts and navigating the font-menu a lot easier.
Pinkelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 06:38 AM   #153
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkelman View Post
The built-in fonts seem to contain a lot of different-language versions of a font called "Noto", with serif-versions without serifs. Does anybody know a way to remove or hide those? That would make adding other fonts and navigating the font-menu a lot easier.
No .
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 07:40 AM   #154
SleepWithMachine
not meant sexually
SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

I deleted most of the fonts, but the device must be rooted to do so
Old 05-21-2020, 12:25 PM   #155
Pinkelman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepWithMachine View Post
I deleted most of the fonts, but the device must be rooted to do so
Thanks, I will look into that.

(If Onyx-Boox-people read here: it would be great to offer users better font-management options.)
Old 05-21-2020, 01:50 PM   #156
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Thanks, I will look into that.

(If Onyx-Boox-people read here: it would be great to offer users better font-management options.)
And more/better formatting options in Neo Reader.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 11:41 AM   #157
psbernitz
Enthusiast
psbernitz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.psbernitz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.psbernitz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.psbernitz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.psbernitz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Onyx Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepWithMachine View Post
So just turn it off when you dont need it ?
> settings > applications > enable google play >
I have never activated google play, but I still get these notifications
psbernitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 02:43 AM   #158
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodfellha View Post
This is the official response from Onyx:

“Hi. News from our R&D team. Neoreader will pre-process to minimize the latency of note-taking. The problem you came across is due to the pre-response of the e-ink screen. An update pack for this problem will be released soon. And we think about developing a switch selection for our customers.”
I got this update, but I had to set the language to American English:

Version 2020-05-21.... 864,1 MB

Fix reboot problem
Optimize the dark spots under sunlight.

I could not test in the absence of sun.
But booting is now very fast in my opinion.

So now I had the sun shining - the second picture is from AlReader
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bug.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	319.8 KB
ID:	179503   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bug1.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	179504  

Last edited by ottischwenk; 05-25-2020 at 08:33 AM.
Old 06-18-2020, 08:44 PM   #159
Tomana
Tomana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Tomana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Tomana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: treo 650
Quote:
My Onyx Boox Nova 2 arrived a couple of days ago, and my first impressions are good.

One thing that surprised me, was the lack of support for fixed-layout epub3's by the built-in Neo app. I've tried a couple of other Android-apps for those, and the best option so far appears to be Google Play Books.

Mind enlightening me a bit on the deletion of the default fonts? there are too many duplicated fonts coming with the devices.

Thanks really lots.
Tomana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 03:19 AM   #160
Pinkelman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomana View Post
Mind enlightening me a bit on the deletion of the default fonts? there are too many duplicated fonts coming with the devices.

Thanks really lots.
I haven't tried it yet.
SleepWithMachine mentioned the device needs to be rooted before you can do it.
In another thread on this forum, rooting a Onyx Boox Max 3 is explained, and I assume the procedure for rooting a Nova 2 is similar. But I yet have to gather the time (and courage) to do that.
Old 06-19-2020, 02:16 PM   #161
SleepWithMachine
not meant sexually

root for the Nova2 is already available, i did it like 2 month ago

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...1&postcount=60
Old 07-01-2020, 05:36 AM   #162
kindle72
kindle72 began at the beginning.

Device: A7CC
Now with the much stronger sun I also see awful dark spots in direkt sunlight. Updated to the last version, doesn't helped.
It's there in every app. Just need to wait a bit, I don't need to scroll. If my head make a shadow on the screen, this part doesn't become dark/unreadable, sometimes after few seconds, sometimes after a minute. Nova 2 isn't much usable and limited with this behavior :-(
kindle72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 01:41 PM   #163
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindle72 View Post
Now with the much stronger sun I also see awful dark spots in direkt sunlight. Updated to the last version, doesn't helped.
It's there in every app. Just need to wait a bit, I don't need to scroll. If my head make a shadow on the screen, this part doesn't become dark/unreadable, sometimes after few seconds, sometimes after a minute. Nova 2 isn't much usable and limited with this behavior :-(
It is a problem with Wacom 7.8 inch screen. Likebook Ares has the same problem.
The only thing you can do is a screen refresh.
Old 07-02-2020, 04:26 AM   #164
kindle72
kindle72 began at the beginning.

Device: A7CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
It is a problem with Wacom 7.8 inch screen. Likebook Ares has the same problem.
The only thing you can do is a screen refresh.
Yes, will do that but it's annoying. Isn't it possible to disable Wacom feature? I don't use it when reading RSS feed, browsing and using Termux.
kindle72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:33 AM   #165
Sanchuan
Sanchuan began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova 2
How do you perform a screen refresh? Would it be a fast workaround in case of sun spots?

Also trying to find out if the stylus can be used for tapping and navigation purposes all across the system UI and any Play Store app (I understand it only writes/scribbles on Onyx apps).

Thanks in advance - Very appreciative of all the frank advice here and keen to give back as soon as I get my hands on one of these devices.
Sanchuan is offline   Reply With Quote