Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-23-2020, 10:06 PM   #1
RustyHelen
RustyHelen
RustyHelen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Problems with Calibre/Kindle connection

We have multiple Kindle readers and use Calibre as a library source. Have many books in Calibre. We have been using both the Kindles and Calibre successfully for many years, maybe 8 or 9 in total. Went to load books today and am getting a fault message. Calibre tells me that the "Amazon Kindle is detected" however also get a pop up saying "Error communicating with Device. calibre, version 4.17.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

Failed to access files in the main memory of your device. You should contact the device manufacturer for support. Common fixes are: try a different USB cable/USB port on your computer. If you device has a "Reset to factory defaults" type of setting somewhere, use it. Underlying error: [Errno 1] Operation not permitted: u'/Volumes/Kindle/driveinfo.calibre'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 90, in run
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 473, in _get_device_information
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/usbms/driver.py", line 163, in get_device_information
IOError: Failed to access files in the main memory of your device. You should contact the device manufacturer for support. Common fixes are: try a different USB cable/USB port on your computer. If you device has a "Reset to factory defaults" type of setting somewhere, use it. Underlying error: [Errno 1] Operation not permitted: u'/Volumes/Kindle/driveinfo.calibre'"

And the Kindle memory is not showing and nor is the icon to send books to Kindle. So I am unable to send books to the Kindle. I have reset the Kindle, I have used both the latest version of Calibre 4.17 and the prior Version that I had with the same result. I have tried multiple connection cords and I have been in touch with Amazon Help. We use an Apple Macbook as a desktop and have been using this for 7 years successfully.

This is a problem that has just popped up. Anyone got any suggestions? TIA Rusty
RustyHelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 12:33 AM   #2
RustyHelen
RustyHelen
RustyHelen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hi again All. Just in case someone stumbles across this and spends time trying to find an answer, no need. I found the issue. Another fallout from Apple updates. Eventually found that the Privacy rules in Settings on my Mac had been reset during an update and it excluded access to the Kindle memory. Changed this and all good again.
RustyHelen is offline   Reply With Quote