Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 05-16-2020, 09:37 PM   #1
MarjaE
Fanatic
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story HD, Amazon Kindle 5, and Amazon Kindle DX
How to reformat an epub so I can split it at each chapter?

Hi,

I have an epub which I can't split at each chapter. Reading previous posts, I need to add formatting before I can split it. What formatting, and is there any easy way to do this without too much formatting?
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 09:48 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT(Fixed,New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
I simply find a 'trap-able' phrase/sequence in the book and selectively insert
(the trap may be triggered in some other locations. Thus find or Replace next, is used)

My split 'trigger'
<div class="split_here"> </div>

Then I use the split at multiple locations on the trigger
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 09:55 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Clara HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Pro, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarjaE View Post
I have an epub which I can't split at each chapter. Reading previous posts, I need to add formatting before I can split it. What formatting, and is there any easy way to do this without too much formatting?
Are you trying to use the split at multiple locations tool by right clicking in the code pane? That tool does require that you set up an expression for where to split though the wizard is pretty decent at walking you through the procedure.

Or are you trying to use the split at cursor tool at the bottom of the preview pane? Using the split at cursor tool, I've split epubs at random points and no issues if the epub does not have pre-existing errors. If the epub has errors, fix them and then try splitting again
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 12:10 PM   #4
retiredbiker
Zealot
retiredbiker is faster than slow light.retiredbiker is faster than slow light.retiredbiker is faster than slow light.retiredbiker is faster than slow light.retiredbiker is faster than slow light.retiredbiker is faster than slow light.retiredbiker is faster than slow light.retiredbiker is faster than slow light.retiredbiker is faster than slow light.retiredbiker is faster than slow light.retiredbiker is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle KB, Oasis, Ubuntu, Jutoh,Kobo Forma
If the book already has a chapter heading with some unique style, there is no problem using the split at multiple locations tool. Even if there is some searchable way of finding such split points, it is easy to use regex S&R to put in splitable code, like looking for <p>"CHAPTER something"</p> and changing the <p> to <p class="chapter">, then using the split tool on that.

But if I have to search through the document for split points, it is easier to just split the file manually, using the preview pane tool, as I go through it to find the boundaries. This also has the advantage of letting me spot rocks I might miss trying a more automated approach.
retiredbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 03:20 PM   #5
MarjaE
Fanatic
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've tried cursor and multiple, neither one would work with the epub. Judging by earlier posts on the issue, ebook-edit requires more formatting, such as code for chapter breaks, and this one only has text and <br/>.

Even adding the "split here," the cursor split doesn't work, nothing happens, and I don't understand how to use the multiple to select the middle of that code.
Old 05-17-2020, 08:12 PM   #6
retiredbiker
Zealot
retiredbiker is faster than slow light.retiredbiker is faster than slow light.retiredbiker is faster than slow light.retiredbiker is faster than slow light.retiredbiker is faster than slow light.retiredbiker is faster than slow light.retiredbiker is faster than slow light.retiredbiker is faster than slow light.retiredbiker is faster than slow light.retiredbiker is faster than slow light.retiredbiker is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle KB, Oasis, Ubuntu, Jutoh,Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarjaE View Post
I've tried cursor and multiple, neither one would work with the epub. Judging by earlier posts on the issue, ebook-edit requires more formatting, such as code for chapter breaks, and this one only has text and <br/>.
If all you have is text and <br/>, no wonder it won't split. Probably the first thing to do is search for <br/> and replace-all with </p><p>. That will at least turn all chunks of text between the breaks into paragraphs. You'll probably have to add a <p> at the very start manually, and possibly a </p> at the very end. Then use the "fix html" and "beautify" tools to make it more readable, and catch any possibly remaining bare text.

Once you have that, you will find you can break it with one of the methods mentioned...the files can only be split on <p>s or <div>s or <hn>s, I think. And from there, you can style it any way you like.

Last edited by retiredbiker; 05-17-2020 at 08:21 PM.
retiredbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 11:50 AM   #7
MarjaE
Fanatic

Thank you, that fixes it.

Tags
ebook-edit