Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 05-14-2020, 05:34 AM   #1
Jimbr
Jimbr began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara
Hello

Hello from Jim Jimbr.
Sorry to bother you all you all. I bought my wife a Kobo Clara ebook reader because she has been out of action after two bouts of major surgery and the the Covid19 lock down.
I was hoping she could down load ebooks from our local library. However our library does not support overdrive. This been the case I downloaded Calibre onto the computer in an attempt to get her some ebooks. Neither of us especially my wife are computer people.
The problem I have is this. If I find her a book she would like to read they usually end up on Amazon, Kobo or Google books. The down load option is not available, you have to go to their store and purchase the book unfortunately they down load directly into their own reading app and not into the Calibre app. How can I get these purchased books into Calibre? Also I have trouble with the search field it only accepts authors or book title cannot do a search on topic. Cannot find any free ebooks to download and again can only shearch on authors or book titles. I am an old author codger and am totally frustrated.
Kind Regards Jim.
Jimbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 11:33 AM   #2
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/Oasis 2/Oasis 3/Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8''/Kobo Libra H2O
Hello and welcome to MobileRead!

Your wife should be able to purchase and download books from the Kobo store directly on her Kobo Clara. As you say you are not computer people, that's certainly the easiest way for her to obtain books.

As to Amazon books, they cannot be read on a Kobo without removing the DRM (which is illegal in many countries) and converting. It's not allowed to discuss the DRM removal in detail here. Visit the Apprentice Alf's blog (https://apprenticealf.wordpress.com/) to learn more if you want to read Amazon books on the Kobo.

Free books are mostly public domain (i.e. their copyright has expired) and can be downloaded from Project Gutenberg or from the ebooks section here (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=132).

Hope that helps.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 10:11 PM   #3
Jimbr
Jimbr began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Hello and welcome to MobileRead!

Your wife should be able to purchase and download books from the Kobo store directly on her Kobo Clara. As you say you are not computer people, that's certainly the easiest way for her to obtain books.

As to Amazon books, they cannot be read on a Kobo without removing the DRM (which is illegal in many countries) and converting. It's not allowed to discuss the DRM removal in detail here. Visit the Apprentice Alf's blog (https://apprenticealf.wordpress.com/) to learn more if you want to read Amazon books on the Kobo.

Free books are mostly public domain (i.e. their copyright has expired) and can be downloaded from Project Gutenberg or from the ebooks section here (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=132).

Hope that helps.
Thank you Sir tel we are able to download Kobo
Books OK. I am trying to download other books using Calibre it is supposed to be a good program however it is beyond me.
Kind Regards Jimbr
Jimbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 04:57 AM   #4
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/Oasis 2/Oasis 3/Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8''/Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbr View Post
Thank you Sir tel we are able to download Kobo
Books OK. I am trying to download other books using Calibre it is supposed to be a good program however it is beyond me.
Kind Regards Jimbr
Calibre is not really a program for downloading books. It's a program for managing books you already have. Just use your regular browser to buy and/or download books, not Calibre.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote