Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-07-2020, 06:51 PM   #46
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Anathema seems overly strong, but obviously mileage varies. My top reason for liking audiobooks is that I get through more content and they serve as entertainment when I’m otherwise occupied. Win/win. I can’t read and drive, more’s the pity.

I find the exact opposite. It's hard to pay attention to an audiobook while actually accomplishing anything else. If I just lay about and listen, well, I read faster than audiobooks get read, so I get through much LESS content with audio. NOT a win at my age!

And it's less fun. I'm big on not just story lines, but HOW authors use the English language. Audio means I have to reverse to listen to something over again, which I find cumbersome, where reading, I can quickly re-savor a great sentence.

So, although I've tried a couple audio books and can enjoy listening to someone read, I vastly prefer a regular ebook. I feel more involved. The audiobook is pretty close to anathema for me. It is LAST RESORT.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 08:40 PM   #47
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Anathema seems overly strong, but obviously mileage varies. My top reason for liking audiobooks is that I get through more content and they serve as entertainment when I’m otherwise occupied. Win/win. I can’t read and drive, more’s the pity.
I'm going to have to disagree. I can read much faster than the ebook can be spoken. And I prefer the voices in my head especially for the majority of audiobooks where there is only one voice.

As for driving and audiobooks? The way I can get caught up in a story would make listening and driving a bit hazardous—probably more for the other drivers. Not as bad as a woman breast-feeding her baby while driving on the highway at 110 kmh (my passenger actually stopped texting to take a photo and we still had trouble believing it though Google showed quite a few examples).

In Canada, distracted driving is statistically responsible for more accidents and fatalities than DUI (both alcohol and marijuana). Listening to music/audiobooks/eating/looking at your passenger in the back seat are not quite up to texting as a distraction but they are unnecessary distractions.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 11:38 PM   #48
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I'm going to have to disagree. I can read much faster than the ebook can be spoken.
I listened to a podcast interview with a blind woman a while back. She manages to listen to audiobooks at 5x, and process the information. She's not ingesting it as a "performance", but as a visual-text replacement. I was mightily impressed at that level of audio processing skill.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 12:03 AM   #49
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I listened to a podcast interview with a blind woman a while back. She manages to listen to audiobooks at 5x, and process the information. She's not ingesting it as a "performance", but as a visual-text replacement. I was mightily impressed at that level of audio processing skill.

I'd be impressed too! But I'm a visual person, I couldn't do it.

The other thing with audiobooks, is anytime there is some kind of noise (say my uphill neighbor is having his tree trimmed or the downhill neighbor's kids are making a racket), it's going to make it harder to listen and hear the spoken word. I don't do well at all hearing with other noise around, never have. Whereas noise doesn't impede my visual reading much. Though I have to admit, during wildfire season, I might go through a lot more eye-drops....

Old 05-08-2020, 12:59 AM   #50
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
The other thing with audiobooks, is anytime there is some kind of noise (say my uphill neighbor is having his tree trimmed or the downhill neighbor's kids are making a racket), it's going to make it harder to listen and hear the spoken word. I don't do well at all hearing with other noise around, never have.
Noise-cancelling headphones?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 07:30 AM   #51
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I'm going to have to disagree. I can read much faster than the ebook can be spoken.
When you’re swimming? I bow to your superior abilities!

I read by preference when I can, but when I can’t, audiobooks are wonderful. They help beguile activities that are tedious in essence or have tedious aspects. I’ll add that some books are more suited to audio than others and that the narrator makes a huge difference. The right book and the right narrator make for excellent entertainment. And as far as driving goes, much less distracting than the news - which was the reason I started to listen in the first place. The news had become much too jangling during my commute.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 10:34 AM   #52
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I have a tendency to mentally tune out of speech after a while, whether it's a classroom lecture (taking notes helped me focus), talk program on the radio, etc. I expect with an audiobook I'd eventually zone out and then have a hard time finding my place again.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 10:37 AM   #53
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I have a tendency to mentally tune out of speech after a while, whether it's a classroom lecture (taking notes helped me focus), talk program on the radio, etc. I expect with an audiobook I'd eventually zone out and then have a hard time finding my place again.
It was a learned skill for me; I had to make the effort to focus and recall my mind to the book. It’s helpful to start with something light or that you’ve read before.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 11:45 AM   #54
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
When you’re swimming? I bow to your superior abilities!

I read by preference when I can, but when I can’t, audiobooks are wonderful. They help beguile activities that are tedious in essence or have tedious aspects. I’ll add that some books are more suited to audio than others and that the narrator makes a huge difference. The right book and the right narrator make for excellent entertainment. And as far as driving goes, much less distracting than the news - which was the reason I started to listen in the first place. The news had become much too jangling during my commute.
I currently don't have a waterproof set of earbuds or headphones to use while swimming. I did try a Sony set but I was not comfortable with using them in the pool since I like swimming along the bottom of the pool which exceeds their maximum 2M depth rating and most definitely not in the ocean. At this point, the ocean is currently my only option since pools are closed and somehow, I suspect that diving in salt water would void the warranty on any current audio player.

I admit listening to the radio while driving but it's an all traffic station. All accidents, all the time.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 07:50 AM   #55
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
I can't multitask with audiobooks on. Currently I've been listening to Anna Karenina, but though there's the novelty of the audio, I can't seem to grasp everything being narrated.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 01:07 PM   #56
graycyn
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Noise-cancelling headphones?

Headphones are always uncomfortable for me. I haven't yet found any I can stand very long.

Unless my vision gets to the point I can't read, I have no desire to do audiobooks. I did two, that was a great plenty. The second one I never finished, just kept tuning it out.