Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 12-19-2019, 02:27 PM   #16
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
If you want to read more of the pros/cons of all different methods of displaying tables, there's also the discussion in "How to Control Fonts in SVG Images of Charts and Tables?".
IMHO, the best way to use SVG tables, is the method described here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=10

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...0&postcount=12

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...0&postcount=16

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...2&postcount=18
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 05:58 PM   #17
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
IMHO, the best way to use SVG tables, is the method described here:
Remember discussing the cons of SVG tables all those years ago in that "SVG Tables" thread?

Compared to HTML, one of the largest is it doesn't follow user fonts/colors (many devices displayed black-on-black text).

Compared to images, then is no pan-and-scan support.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 07:54 AM   #18
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
Remember discussing the cons of SVG tables all those years ago in that "SVG Tables" thread?

Compared to HTML, one of the largest is it doesn't follow user fonts/colors (many devices displayed black-on-black text).

Compared to images, then is no pan-and-scan support.
If you read my previous comment, I didn't say that svg tables are the best. Just I said, that if the OP decides to use them, the best way to implement them is by importing a .pdf, built it with Excel, inside Inkscape. I don't dispute your assertions; moreover, I agree with them.
Old 12-21-2019, 01:21 PM   #19
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
If you read my previous comment, I didn't say that svg tables are the best. Just I said, that if the OP decides to use them, the best way to implement them is by importing a .pdf, built it with Excel, inside Inkscape. I don't dispute your assertions; moreover, I agree with them.
Anddddd...what is Hitch gonna say? (WWHD?)

SVG does not work for older Kindle devices, so if you go that route, you gotta use JPG or PNG or GIF tables as the fallbacks, with hidden.

Just a heads' up for poor victims that haven't tried this yet. As this is the workshop, I didn't want to presume that we were discussing ePUB format only.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 01:55 PM   #20
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Basically there isn't any universal solution for tables. It's very dependant on the content, number of columns and width of the table.
Some reformatting may be needed as has already been suggested.

Hence my approach, in creating content, rather than conversion from non-ebook sources, is to try and avoid them!

Also having two or more columns to simulate (or import) a magazine or newspaper is to be avoided. I noticed that early HP paper books had the newspaper extracts in twin column but later book(s) (or last?) use a single longer column.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 04:33 PM   #21
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Anddddd...what is Hitch gonna say? (WWHD?)

SVG does not work for older Kindle devices, so if you go that route, you gotta use JPG or PNG or GIF tables as the fallbacks, with hidden.
I don't dispute that either. My comment aimed about how to generate a svg table, in case of the OP would want to use them. If the user wants a "ring to rule all rings", an only solution for all kind of devices, he should use an image (I go with a .png or .gif). since K1 doesn't support tables.
Old 12-22-2019, 12:47 PM   #22
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
Basically there isn't any universal solution for tables. It's very dependant on the content, number of columns and width of the table.
Some reformatting may be needed as has already been suggested.
Indeedy.

Quote:
Hence my approach, in creating content, rather than conversion from non-ebook sources, is to try and avoid them!
Lucky you. I don't have that luxury, as I frequently lament, but of course, it is my vocation. :-) I have little business lamenting such things!

Quote:
Also having two or more columns to simulate (or import) a magazine or newspaper is to be avoided. I noticed that early HP paper books had the newspaper extracts in twin column but later book(s) (or last?) use a single longer column.
I'm still surprised at how often we're asked to do this and it must be from folks who don't use eReaders or who use iPads (fullsize) and don't use dedicated devices or read on smartphones. I mean..we've done it (and we've created reflowable sidebars) but to steal a line from Jeff Goldblum's character in Jurassic Park, just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

Quote:
I don't dispute that either. My comment aimed about how to generate a svg table, in case of the OP would want to use them. If the user wants a "ring to rule all rings", an only solution for all kind of devices, he should use an image (I go with a .png or .gif). since K1 doesn't support tables.
I know that sweetie. I didn't mean to sound as though I were chastizing you--I wasn't. It was simply one of those things that was obvious to those of us who've been doing this for a while, but was unsaid in the thread. I try to remember that newbies and first-timers, etc., won't know all the cruft we carry around in our heads and slap those warning labels on there, to save them some time, that's all. :-)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote