Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-08-2018, 03:35 AM   #1
Airlane1979
Airlane1979 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch 1
Windows 10 does not recognise connected Kobo Touch

I'm new to e-readers. I've installed Kobo Desktop, Adobe DE and Calibre, none of which sees the device. I turned off wi-fi on the Touch, connected it to my laptop using various cables and sockets and, when the Touch requests it, pressed Connect. The Touch screen goes black with 'Connected and charging' displayed. Windows does not see the device in Explorer. I contacted Kobo support, but they asked me to contact Microsoft to obtain a USB driver of some unspecified type. I don't think he had any idea what to suggest.

This is my second Kobo Touch, both of which had the same problem.
Airlane1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 11:23 AM   #2
ReaLx3m
Groupie
ReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura One, Pocketbook Inkpad 3 Pro
Support as usually, on the highest level .
Try a different pc, if it doesnt work there too, then youll know who to blame for sure.
ReaLx3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 01:47 PM   #3
LuckyL
LuckyL , Klaatu Barada Niktu!LuckyL , Klaatu Barada Niktu!LuckyL , Klaatu Barada Niktu!LuckyL , Klaatu Barada Niktu!LuckyL , Klaatu Barada Niktu!LuckyL , Klaatu Barada Niktu!LuckyL , Klaatu Barada Niktu!LuckyL , Klaatu Barada Niktu!LuckyL , Klaatu Barada Niktu!LuckyL , Klaatu Barada Niktu!LuckyL , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I have that long standing problem too - the Kobo will be recognised if you use a USB hub: it worked with an old portable hub as well if I connect the reader via my Surface dock. It will not be recognised if I connect it directly to my Surface Book.
The response you received from Kobo reflects my own experience of the poor support they offer in the light of a series of quality issues Kobo refuse to recognise. I returned my reader 3 times only to find that every replacement had the very same issues.
The only reason I stuck with Kobo at the time was that they were the only ones to offer large screen readers.
Since that is no longer the case, my next purchase will not be a Kobo for sure.
LuckyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:56 AM   #4
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Try USBDeview.

USBDeview is a free and small utility that lists all USB devices that currently connected to your computer, as well as all USB devices that you previously used.

Do not connect your reader and run USBDeview. Uninstall the Kobo device driver (or multiple Kobo drivers), and reboot the computer.

Connect the reader to the PC and wait until Windows detects and installs a new/fresh usb device driver for your Kobo reader.

Last edited by Anak; 07-11-2018 at 07:59 AM.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:38 AM   #5
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
that's unlikely to help. the problem will go away if you connect via a cheap unpowerd USB hub - and Windows will be using the same drivers - its not a driver issue.
my own Kobo Aura HD works every time when connected via a HUB and not at all when connected directly to a USB port. [ just like for you - the device says connected but it is invisible to windows and thus invisible to any Windows app, like calibre ]
(all my other USB devices work on all ports so its a Kobo bug , but Kobo are determined to pretend the problem does not exist )

Searching older threads here will confirm it happens for many users with several different Kobo reader device models and with several different versions of Windows
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 12:37 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
(all my other USB devices work on all ports so its a Kobo bug , but Kobo are determined to pretend the problem does not exist )

Searching older threads here will confirm it happens for many users with several different Kobo reader device models and with several different versions of Windows
Minor nit. Kobo ereaders are not the only devices to have problems with USB connections. For eInk ereaders, it's happened with Amazon Kindles. My issue was connecting directly to a USB 3.0 port on my laptop and the suggestion to try a USB hub was found in a discussion about older Android smartphones. Another discussion was about Microsoft Surface tablets and needing to use a powered hub since the Surface was marginal on it's power output.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 12:46 PM   #7
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
NIT accepted, but when I have had issues with older fire tablets, then working though al the various permutions of connect it when on ,connect it when off, connect it when asleep, connect when pc is off, asleep.. has always worked. And after it has worked once, it is usually ok ever after.
When my kobo aura hd developed its sulk, about a year ago, the only fix that worked was connecting via a hub
I keep a trailing usb cable always in the hub now as that one cable fits all my readers and tablets, except for my new usb c yoga Tab. I am keeping that one away from the pc having read horror stories of running usb c fast charge from old usb 2 ports. So anything I need on that goes via calibre companion or Dropbox, wirelessly
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:45 PM   #8
npr
Zealot
npr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo Glo, Aura, H2OE2, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
Try USBDeview.

USBDeview is a free and small utility that lists all USB devices that currently connected to your computer, as well as all USB devices that you previously used.

Do not connect your reader and run USBDeview. Uninstall the Kobo device driver (or multiple Kobo drivers), and reboot the computer.

Connect the reader to the PC and wait until Windows detects and installs a new/fresh usb device driver for your Kobo reader.
Thanks, that helped me.
Recently had a problem with my H2O E2 connecting after connecting my Aura 6".
Uninstalling all Kobo devices has allowed the H2O E2 to connect again.
npr is offline   Reply With Quote