View Poll Results: Nook vs Kindle 3
Nook 121 52.84%
Kindle 3 94 41.05%
Other 14 6.11%
Voters: 229. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-30-2010, 03:37 PM   #16
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Kindle 3. At the end of the day, with ther Nook or the K3 will end up being fine and doing what you want them to do, which is read books. I still think that the Kindle is a better product.

Too much is made of EPub. Plenty of Kindle owners buy non-DRmed EPub books and put them on their Kindles. Plenty of folks borrow books from the library using their Kindles. The only time I was not able to buy a book I wanted for my Kindle is when Amazon was in a pissing contest with Penguin. Even then I knew of work arounds to get the book (register an address in London) but decided it wasn't that important to me.

I have the DXG and love the new Pearl Screen. I also love being able to organize my books into different folders using the collections options. I have some books in 2 or 3 folders based on where I want them placed. Having a device that does not need to be recharged regularly is great when travelling. I didn't have to worry too much about my K1 when flying to and from Australia. It would have been even better if I had known that I wouldn't have to worry about the battery the entire time I was gone (2 weeks).

I could care less about the color touch screen. I don't buy ebooks because of the cover or tolook at the cover and I don't think that it is hard to press a button to turn the page.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 03:58 PM   #17
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Plenty of folks borrow books from the library using their Kindles.
Would you mind telling me how to read borrowed library books in the Kindle? Please don't say that you need to strip the DRM protection since this is not only a huge disrespect to our public library but also, illegal in the eyes of the law.
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2010, 04:10 PM   #18
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There are libraries that have books using Mobi that you can download without stripping the DRM.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:38 PM   #19
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
There are libraries that have books using Mobi that you can download without stripping the DRM.
My libraries carries ebooks in Adobe ePub, Adobe PDF and Mobipocket eBook. I assume the Kindle can't read the Adobe ePub, but can it read the Adobe PDF or the Mobipocket eBook?
Old 07-30-2010, 07:46 PM   #20
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebo View Post
My libraries carries ebooks in Adobe ePub, Adobe PDF and Mobipocket eBook. I assume the Kindle can't read the Adobe ePub, but can it read the Adobe PDF or the Mobipocket eBook?
You can use the mobipocket books by running them through Kindlefix. It doesn't change the DRM, but makes them readable on the Kindle. The PDFs are encrypted with Adobe Editions DRM which the Kindle doesn't support.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2010, 08:04 PM   #21
Lastblade
Nookie are we
Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks with and without color
A bit biased in the nook forum....

I would still choose Nook because of epub format and LCD screen (over the keyboard). But the improved screen is very tempting.
Lastblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 03:03 AM   #22
Rebo
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
You can use the mobipocket books by running them through Kindlefix. It doesn't change the DRM, but makes them readable on the Kindle. The PDFs are encrypted with Adobe Editions DRM which the Kindle doesn't support.
Thanks for the clarification. I did some research on Kindlefix after I read your post. It seems on March 9th, 2009, lawyers of Amazon sent a letter to the community at Mobileread, demanding removal of all links to the kindlepid.py script. The implication of this demand was that Mobileread was potentially violating copyright protection laws even though the intent of the script in question is not to break DRM, but only to allow the Kindle to read electronic library books and other mobi-DRMed books. I don't necessarily agree with Amazon's action but it seems the use of Kindlefix might be a little uncertain as far as the legality is concerned.

Since Kindle doesn't support Adobe ePub, or Adode PDF and I'll need a tool that Amazon disapproves to make the mobipocket readable on the kindle, due to the lack of support for my public library books, I think Nook is clearly a better choice for me.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:51 AM   #23
dharh
dharh began at the beginning.

Device: nook,ipad,netbook
Unless you are already invested in a format (not library, since im a fervent supporter of DRM-less ebooks, one way or another...), then I suggest the Nook. Frankly whichever is cheaper and most advanced at the time you want to purchase is a good way to go. The Nook is still competative with the Kindle 3. Most of the time I find both libraries to be exact, so the only real reason to get one over the other is price and usability factor. That is still the Nook until the Kindle opens up to other formats, not being able to use epub is major issue imo.

If that one drawback doesn't matter to you though, then Kindle 3 all the way. It has better battery life (although the nook does have quite good battery in airplane mode) and now I think equal or maybe even a better e-ink screen.
dharh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:12 AM   #24
tasomaniac
tasomaniac began at the beginning.

Device: none
As I said earlier I'm in Turkey now. I may be in the US 2 years later for my Phd study. In Turkey the number of electronic content in the libraries is very low.

basically I'm reading 3 type of "books"
sorted in order of the importance

1) blogs and rss feeds

2) academic papers

3) novels and other kind of books.
tasomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:20 AM   #25
tasomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedifarfy View Post
Are you keeping the Wifi on at all times? That drains the battery quickly. Put it in airplane mode whenever you don't need to connect to the ebook shop and your battery life will improve.

As for K3 vs nook, I'd still pick nook. First, I work for B&N (I don't want to be murdered by coworkers...). Second, I hate restrictive formats that limits you to what you are allowed to use, which is also why I don't have anything Apple. Yes, Amazon has things that no one else has, and I'm hoping that will change in the future. With nook, I can buy ebooks from almost anywhere and put them on my ereader. I like that.

JF
I have sold my iPhone. I hate Apple now. It restricts every thing. Amazon is like Apple in this case. I have now Nexus One and I can do whatever I want. I am so happy that I have sold my iPhone.

Nook has Android OS. This attracts me a lot. They rooted the Nook and there are few programs available for Nook now. I saw that someone is writing a program "Google Reader For Nook". That would be awesome.

But on the other hand Kindle is cheaper (lol), lighter, brighter, smaller, thinner and its battery lasts longer. ) I feel that I'd be stupid if buy the Nook.

I'm asking the nook owners: How long your battery last if you use the nook in airplane mode? and does the weight make problem for you?

Thank you everyone for your help
Old 07-31-2010, 10:46 AM   #26
tasomaniac

And a last thing
I have lots of gadgets and I have external batteries and I can charge the nook on the go. One month battery is not that important. But if the nook's battery is lasting only 2 days that would be very bad.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:22 PM   #27
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasomaniac View Post
As I said earlier I'm in Turkey now. I may be in the US 2 years later for my Phd study. In Turkey the number of electronic content in the libraries is very low.

basically I'm reading 3 type of "books"
sorted in order of the importance

1) blogs and rss feeds

2) academic papers

3) novels and other kind of books.
For Academic papers I would go with a Sony 900 (that is the bigger screen one right?) or the Kindle DX Graphite. Between those two the Kindle would win because of the better screen and now PDF's can be annotated, book marked, and easily searched.

I completed a PhD 9 years ago and would have loved to have had an ebook reader. My degree is n political science so the PDF functions found on the Kindle would work fine for me. I have no idea about the Sony since I have not used one.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:04 PM   #28
AndyfromVA
Zealot
AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook 1E, K3, K4, Paperwhite 2
Quote:
I'm asking the nook owners: How long your battery last if you use the nook in airplane mode? and does the weight make problem for you?
Battery life is 50% after about 4-5 days, reading about 2-3 hours a day. The weight is not a problem at all.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:44 AM   #29
tasomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyfromVA View Post
Battery life is 50% after about 4-5 days, reading about 2-3 hours a day. The weight is not a problem at all.
OMG!! I have already purchased the kindle 3. You make me confused again. I will definitely buy the nook 2 but the current nook is not good as Kindle 3.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:06 AM   #30
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
Yesterday I just bought a second nook for my wife. We have completely different tastes in books, so sharing books or accounts wasn't even a consideration. Battery life isn't important to me, I don't think it's a big deal to plug it in every 3 or 4 days. Neither is a difference of a couple ounces. The nook weighs about as much as a book. I'm fine with that.

The LCD screen means the kindle will always be lighter and have better battery life. I like the looks of the nook with the lcd screen better than the keyboard on the kindle.

I also like that the nook reads epub and is a little more open than the kindle.

That's what it comes down to - what you prefer. Neither is a poor choice.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote