Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-19-2009, 11:25 PM   #16
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Both the Nook and the Edge are trying hard to overcome the current lack of color in e-ink devices, and will be good "transition" devices in lieu of the next generation OLED/color e-ink readers that will inevitably arrive sooner or later. The market for ebook readers seems to really be heating up these days --- from niche to mainstream within the next few months, I'll wager!
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:27 PM   #17
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
I await someone coming up with an accessory (or maybe a rival product) called the "Cranny."
That would have to be a case or cover of some kind.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2009, 11:30 PM   #18
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Maybe they're going to get Bob Eubanks to introduce it with a set from the Newlywed Game. "Who's ready for some Nookie time?"

I think it looks good and if the price is correct this will put some pressure on the market. Good things happening. Can't wait for the details.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:53 PM   #19
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Sorry if I missed this, but what is/are the file format/s?
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:14 AM   #20
fuzzy_dunlop
Enthusiast
fuzzy_dunlop began at the beginning.

Device: none
No file formats have been mentioned yet. A rep from B&N recently said "We believe readers should have access to books in their digital library from any device, anywhere and anytime," which makes me hopeful they will support a variety of formats.
Source: http://www.itpro.co.uk/616102/barnes-noble-to-sell-kindle-rival

It is indeed Nook, as nook.com is registered by B&N, although still not active yet.
http://whois.domaintools.com/nook.com

Last edited by fuzzy_dunlop; 10-20-2009 at 12:24 AM.
fuzzy_dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2009, 01:18 AM   #21
Xerxes
Addict
Xerxes has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Astak EZReader, Pocket Pro
I will not buy a 4th e-reader. I simply can't... Well.
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 01:31 AM   #22
juj1n
Connoisseur
juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Lots!
Quote:
Update: We can't say with 100 percent assurance, but a reliable source of ours claims that Barnes & Noble will be partnering with Best Buy for sales of the device, and units will actually be available this Thursday.
That's an update from engadget earlier in the day.
I cannot wait for this announcement!!!! It's only a matter of hours now!
juj1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 01:54 AM   #23
ckole
Enthusiast
ckole began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
What about the Irex DR800 and Best Buy? This device sounds promising but since I want to use the device for PDF's a 8.1" screen may be better. I look forward to the coverage tomorrow.

Last edited by ckole; 10-20-2009 at 02:00 AM.
ckole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 02:46 AM   #24
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Looks like a flip-out strip light at the top of the machine. Designing a practical cover for the Nook will be something of a challenge, I think. I wonder if wind of the B&N device might have had something to do with what appears to have been a rush on the part of Amazon to beat them to it with their international Kindle. Looks good. Not for me in this incarnation, though: I don't need wifi or the colour facility, so there's too much waste of screen space potential. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 02:55 AM   #25
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
The Nook really does nothing for me. I hope it takes off and helps ebooks go mainstream, but to me it looks big, bulky and plasticky. It looks too big to be entering the ebook market so late in the game. Hopefully they have a Nook2 that'll be a little more streamlined.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 03:02 AM   #26
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Bleh, color LCD for navigation?!

Presumably, it turns off, so it doesn't distract from reading the real screen, and to conserve power.

Really..., what's with all the lame new products? Just give us a single large screen, that does PDFs well. And yeah, color would be nice. But, on that same single, large screen.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 03:10 AM   #27
orion2001
Groupie
orion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505
Wow! What a terrible name! I am pretty excited about it though. The price looks great and if it does indeed support multiple formats then it just could be the ebook-reader that causes prices to drop on the Kindle and Sony readers. At the very least, it might force Amazon to support EPUB at some point.
orion2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 03:13 AM   #28
orion2001
Groupie
orion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
Bleh, color LCD for navigation?!

Presumably, it turns off, so it doesn't distract from reading the real screen, and to conserve power.

Really..., what's with all the lame new products? Just give us a single large screen, that does PDFs well. And yeah, color would be nice. But, on that same single, large screen.
I'll hold off on criticizing it for the color, touchscreen LCD till I actually see how they are using it as part of the reader. There is potential to do some neat stuff with it, but if it just a place to see book covers, then it would be pretty useless.

From the pics so far, it seems like it will act as a touch sensitive keyboard at the very least.
orion2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 03:36 AM   #29
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
"Nook" is an interesting name. The Book Nook. It's a natural.

This looks interesting. I'll have to check it out. Wonder what the battery life will be? And what about screen glare? E-Ink is so easy on the eyes. Don't see how an LCD could compare for sharpness and ease of reading.
So, you've got a hook for the look of the book nook...

Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 03:43 AM   #30
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Well...we could just shorten it like we shorten everything else...
The Librarian would call it...Ook!
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote