Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-24-2018, 10:03 AM   #1
flody1
flody1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis2
KINDLE OASIS2

Hi all. I'm a newbie, bought my wife a Amazon Kindle Oasis2 ( should get it soon). We joined Books Unlimited@ Amazon. She reads all the time, Nora Roberts fan/Christine Feehan / J D Robb/ETC. My question is do I need to jailbreak this device to get more free books? Thanks
flody1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 10:12 AM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by flody1 View Post
Hi all. I'm a newbie, bought my wife a Amazon Kindle Oasis2 ( should get it soon). We joined Books Unlimited@ Amazon. She reads all the time, Nora Roberts fan/Christine Feehan / J D Robb/ETC. My question is do I need to jailbreak this device to get more free books? Thanks
No, Amazon has many free books, as does this site, Project Gutenberg, and more.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/eb...&sort=dateline
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2018, 10:32 AM   #3
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Kindle Unlimited isn't going to have books from Nora Roberts etc. I don't think any of the major publishers are in that borrowing program.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 12:21 AM   #4
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
flody1--I see that you're in the USA. You should check out your local library to see if they have an Overdrive e-book lending program. Although collection sizes can vary libraries often have many of the more popular authors' books to borrow. (There can be long waiting lists for some of the new releases.)
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 06:24 PM   #5
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by flody1 View Post
If Romance is her preference and she doesn't insist on Big Name authors she will be awash in good reads. The names in Kindle Unlimited won't be familiar unless she is a long term follower of Harlequin romances but if she is she'll be happy.

To find cheap/free reads on the kindle store, just pick a category and sort by price, low to high: the promo books will pop to the top.

Like this:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st_p...price-asc-rank

And no, no jailbreaking will be needed to sideload.

You just connect it to a pc and copy the files, from Mobilread, Guternberg, Feedbooks, wherever to the Kindle. Just make sure they are DRM-free in mobi or azw format. They will either show up in personal documents or books, depending on the format.

You can also email files to your Kindle.

The Oasis2 is a very nice reader. She should be quite happy with it.

Last edited by fjtorres; 07-26-2018 at 06:29 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2018, 06:54 PM   #6
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I love my oasis 2 but has poor battery life. Worse on the 32GB model. on the 8GB I was loosing 6 to 10% a day on the 32gb model i loose as much as 15 to 20% a day
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 07:14 PM   #7
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
I love my oasis 2 but has poor battery life. Worse on the 32GB model. on the 8GB I was loosing 6 to 10% a day on the 32gb model i loose as much as 15 to 20% a day
That is you and a few others. Some of us get good battery life. My 32GB model loses 1 or 2 percent a day with occasional 3 or 4 percent. I charge when it gets down to 20% and stop charging at 80% and go a couple of weeks without charging.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 08:45 PM   #8
cmoim
Enthusiast
cmoim began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage , Kindle Oasis 2 , Kobo Aura Edition 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
I have the 32gb model, when i first bought i had the same issue about 4 percent a day which was quite a lot since i upgraded from a kindle voyage which lost only 1% per day, but i found that after deleting some books i started losing only 1-2% per day, 40 books on your kindle should be enough.
cmoim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 11:09 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
If Romance is her preference and she doesn't insist on Big Name authors she will be awash in good reads. The names in Kindle Unlimited won't be familiar unless she is a long term follower of Harlequin romances but if she is she'll be happy.
One caution about Kindle Unlimited is that too many authors stuff their books. When we had KU, my wife picked up a series by an author whose name she recognized from a few years back. 3 novellas and 1 novel. Sadly, the novellas ran between 450 to 800 pages while the novel barely managed 135 pages (from cover to cover). It seems that most of a poorly edited ( homonyms, grammar, spelling, layout, continuity -- who has trouble remembering the name of the heroine of your own novel for pete's sake?) back list was stuffed into the novellas just to make a bit more money for the author. After the KU subscription expired, we haven't gone back. Life is too short to spent it reading through what amounts to a poorly indexed slush pile.

My personal peeve with KU was that I love books about cooking and recipes. The average KU book in that genre looks like someone copied and pasted 30-50 recipes from the web and called it a book.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 12:47 AM   #10
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
One caution about Kindle Unlimited is that too many authors stuff their books.
[..]
It really depends on how you go about finding books. None of the books I have borrowed are needlessly stuffed or written horribly. Sure there is the occasional spelling or grammar mistakes - but that is in KU and everywhere else. If anything I am less forgiving on obvious mistakes in traditionally published books knowing full well that there always is an editor. If an editor can screw up worse than many indies that do not use an editor, what exactly does an editor do?

Maybe it is a genre specific problem since I don't read romance, but my wife does and she hasn't been complaining either. I have found once you are in a particular group of authors the "customers also bought" is quite similar quality books mostly.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 01:21 AM   #11
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Need more Power! https://www.amazon.com/mophie-Power-...for+cell+phone
these devices come in all sizes & prices. This one would probably boost/charge the ereader several times before it needs a re-charge! I have one that will Fully charged can charge my Kobo ereader .... cell phone & 2 Fires before it needs to be charged back up!! How long the battery in any device with lights lasts depends on how high/bright the lights are.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 07:28 AM   #12
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post

Maybe it is a genre specific problem since I don't read romance, but my wife does and she hasn't been complaining either. I have found once you are in a particular group of authors the "customers also bought" is quite similar quality books mostly.
The whole "Indie books are unedited rush jobs" is mostly a myth these days. There is an entire support industry of freelance editors and artists that Indie authors can and do rely on, the vast majority of which come from the tradpub world.

Plus, when it comes to romance, a significant number of books are reverted Harlequin titles. "Reprints", if you will. Right up to the point Torstar sold off Harlequin they had a policy of reverting out of print titles upon request so those romance authors who latched on to Indie publishing early-ish were able to recover control over their copyrights and over time get new covers and reissue their backlists. That is why Kindle Unlimited is so strong in romance.

Even when they weren't ripping off their authors through self-dealing, Harlequin paid very low royalties and rarely reissued titles so most authors netted at most a couple hundred dollars per title. (Name authors made more and got reprinted but Harlequin published a *lot* of "one and done" midlist titles.) That made the calculus of going Indie pretty straightforward: the books were pre-edited, covers only cost a few hundred dollars using stock photography, and breakeven was only a couple hundred sales away. Most books sold by the thousand. And then Kindle Unlimited came out.

As Oyster and Scribd discovered, romance readers are voracious. And a match made in romance heaven ensued: lots of content meets lots of eyeballs.

Romance titles tend to be on the shorter side so the author payouts typically run in the $1-2 range instead of the $2-and-up range of other genres. But many of these authors were getting royalties in the $0.25-0.50 range. And the ones getting ripped off got less than ten cents a copy.

It is good business for the authors, who get their names out and draw sales on the side.

So, no, Kindle Unlimited is not just for poor books and scammers. It's not even just for Indies, as a lot of Small Press tradpubs and writer coops use it to supplement their sales.

There's over a million and a half titles in there. Scammers may get press but they are a tiny part of the catalog. The only reason they "get away" with it is because they are so few in the sea of KU.

As I said above, veteran Harlequin fans will find plenty of familiar names.

For other genres, things will vary according to taste--traditional SF publishers hold on to copyrights like a dragon hoards gold--but romance is the core of KU. There is no shortage of SF&F or mysteries but it is more likely to be new voices rather than backlist. Different audience there.

Last edited by fjtorres; 07-27-2018 at 07:38 AM.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:23 AM   #13
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
The whole "Indie books are unedited rush jobs" is mostly a myth these days. There is an entire support industry of freelance editors and artists that Indie authors can and do rely on, the vast majority of which come from the tradpub world.

Plus, when it comes to romance, a significant number of books are reverted Harlequin titles. "Reprints", if you will. Right up to the point Torstar sold off Harlequin they had a policy of reverting out of print titles upon request so those romance authors who latched on to Indie publishing early-ish were able to recover control over their copyrights and over time get new covers and reissue their backlists. That is why Kindle Unlimited is so strong in romance.

Even when they weren't ripping off their authors through self-dealing, Harlequin paid very low royalties and rarely reissued titles so most authors netted at most a couple hundred dollars per title. (Name authors made more and got reprinted but Harlequin published a *lot* of "one and done" midlist titles.) That made the calculus of going Indie pretty straightforward: the books were pre-edited, covers only cost a few hundred dollars using stock photography, and breakeven was only a couple hundred sales away. Most books sold by the thousand. And then Kindle Unlimited came out.

As Oyster and Scribd discovered, romance readers are voracious. And a match made in romance heaven ensued: lots of content meets lots of eyeballs.

Romance titles tend to be on the shorter side so the author payouts typically run in the $1-2 range instead of the $2-and-up range of other genres. But many of these authors were getting royalties in the $0.25-0.50 range. And the ones getting ripped off got less than ten cents a copy.

It is good business for the authors, who get their names out and draw sales on the side.

So, no, Kindle Unlimited is not just for poor books and scammers. It's not even just for Indies, as a lot of Small Press tradpubs and writer coops use it to supplement their sales.

There's over a million and a half titles in there. Scammers may get press but they are a tiny part of the catalog. The only reason they "get away" with it is because they are so few in the sea of KU.

As I said above, veteran Harlequin fans will find plenty of familiar names.

For other genres, things will vary according to taste--traditional SF publishers hold on to copyrights like a dragon hoards gold--but romance is the core of KU. There is no shortage of SF&F or mysteries but it is more likely to be new voices rather than backlist. Different audience there.
Thank you. I think all I wanted to say is that there is A LOT to like and read in KU. The ones warning against all the dangers either gave up on it or never gave it a real chance to begin with. Yes, before the change in payout per page read there were a lot of tiny serialized books. I avoided them like the plague, not because I wanted to punish them for gaming the system, but because it simply is too annoying to click so many times for each snippet combined with the 10 book limit.

It feels like that I am gaming the system by only paying roughly $7 a month and the amounts of books being borrowed each month between my own reading and my wife's. But there is never buyer's remorse, since nothing needs to be bought, it is already prepaid. The fact that the catalogue is constantly expanding shows me that the system is self-sustaining. So I stopped feeling guilty.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 12:47 PM   #14
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post

It feels like that I am gaming the system by only paying roughly $7 a month and the amounts of books being borrowed each month between my own reading and my wife's. But there is never buyer's remorse, since nothing needs to be bought, it is already prepaid. The fact that the catalogue is constantly expanding shows me that the system is self-sustaining. So I stopped feeling guilty.
Why feel guilty?
All three parties to the deal are consenting adults!

By now the system has been running long enough to stabilize and, odd scammer aside, the balance of value seems to satisfy all the involved parties. Readers find new voices, willing authors get paid to publicize their wares and often find fans, and Amazon gets a *major* competitive advantage and (probably) a fair bit of change. It's not AWS money but if they're dishing out at a rate of $300M per year after four years they must be happy. I suspect 1.5M exclusives ought to be bringing in a few bucks along the way.

So don't worry, be happy!
Old 07-27-2018, 04:19 PM   #15
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
By now the system has been running long enough to stabilize and, odd scammer aside, the balance of value seems to satisfy all the involved parties. Readers find new voices, willing authors get paid to publicize their wares and often find fans, and Amazon gets a *major* competitive advantage and (probably) a fair bit of change. It's not AWS money but if they're dishing out at a rate of $300M per year after four years they must be happy. I suspect 1.5M exclusives ought to be bringing in a few bucks along the way.

So don't worry, be happy!
I've seen enough postings from authors who have removed their books from KU due to the effect that various scams have had on their income. When Amazon lets you know that your books have had more checkouts from KU and the pages read have gone up but your payment has dropped, you might begin to suspect that Amazon is being gamed successfully.

Admittedly, these posts are from the recipe/cooking genre for me and the romance genre for my wife, other genres may not be suffering to the same degree but since KU is a single pot, it is likely affecting other genres.

For us, using KU to locate new authors became a crap shoot with loaded dice. Too many reviews that had at best a distant relationship with the books being reviewed and too many author recommendations based on you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours without regard for the quality of the books being recommended. Yes, finding authors you are familiar with was fairly easy but that wasn't why we tried KU -- we were looking for new authors. I wasn't expecting The Joy of Cooking or The Theory and Practice of Good Cooking but I was finding too many books that made How Long Do I Cook a 3-Minute Egg look like Mastering the Art of French Cooking.

Last edited by DNSB; 07-27-2018 at 04:35 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote