Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 01:34 PM   #61
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Maybe a soft blue sky and white font. This would show well on a black and white ereader.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:35 PM   #62
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
pdurrant: I like yours, but maybe without the pink. Unless the pink is ironic.

We cross posted.
The background and colours are incidental. I just wanted to suggest a very different text layout. I found the plain centred text dull and uninteresting.

I used the pixelsagas Adventure font for the title, and their Adventure subtitle for the series info.
Advert
Old 01-11-2018, 01:46 PM   #63
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
No need to apologise Hitch. I like everything you've said, especially WARM. Great name for the organisation.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:57 PM   #64
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
The idea of including a pooper-scooper is funny, but in an already busy cover with so many elements, would anyone be able to tell what it was?
Old 01-11-2018, 03:55 PM   #65
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
How about the International Woof Society?
That's great, Cin! Only thing is I'll be doing the series for all kinds of animals that they'll be rescuing.

I really don't know that I need it. But I could probably come up with something. International Women's Society. "Society" doesn't work but whatever.
Advert
Old 01-11-2018, 03:57 PM   #66
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Then how about "The First Lainey Tripper Adventure"?
Thanks Paul. I'll let that one percolate a bit. I'm not sure as I see it as an adventure though.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:00 PM   #67
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The pink is still ugly and the green for the title is the wrong color. But what to change the title color to depends on the background. The other problem is her cape is blowing for no reason. Try a sky blue with clouds to give the illusion of wind.
I'm going to experiment with blue. I'm going to post like a light purple now. I don't really think it works but I've got to lose the pink.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:02 PM   #68
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I agree about the colors and the blowing cape. I'd rather see a cape just draped from her shoulders and over her arms--as in this photo.

ETA: In addition to the incongruity of the cape being the only thing in the image affected by wind, it also unbalances the cover--too much weight on the right side; even the largest dogs are already on the right side.
Thanks Catlady. Agree about the balance issue. I'll flip the dogs and see if that helps. I like the cape blowing though. Over the shoulder it'll be hardly noticeable in a thumbnail.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:04 PM   #69
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
How about something like this for the title/series

Attachment 161435
Really really clever. Nice cover. Hmm. I'm a little too conventional I'm afraid though. All my books are pretty much the same. Title centered. Name in the same place. (Are you a cover designer?)
Old 01-11-2018, 04:04 PM   #70
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
That's great, Cin! Only thing is I'll be doing the series for all kinds of animals that they'll be rescuing.

I really don't know that I need it. But I could probably come up with something. International Women's Society. "Society" doesn't work but whatever.
Yeah, no. IWS = International Women's Society. Meh, sounds like DAR or one of those. I don't know, as I said, why you'd deliberately miss this opportunity for a pun, or a funny acronym, etc. Are you married to IWS for some reason? I mean, a good reason, as opposed to just obdurancy?

Hitch
Old 01-11-2018, 04:09 PM   #71
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Really really clever. Nice cover. Hmm. I'm a little too conventional I'm afraid though. All my books are pretty much the same. Title centered. Name in the same place. (Are you a cover designer?)
Don't take this the wrong way, Gregg, but being a traditionalist isn't really a viable reason (excuse?) for bad design. The only thing "traditional" about centered titles on a book cover is that it's traditionally easier for people to center something than to stagger it or align it on one side or the other. What's "traditional" is taking the BEST layout for your book, given your graphics, etc., and making it work, in that environment.

The Twilight books and the 50SOG books all used non-centered titles.

Hitch
Old 01-11-2018, 04:10 PM   #72
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
The pink is wrong for a book which tongue-in-cheek satirises feminism. It also limits your market to women (and maybe gay men).

I don't understand your comment:

Surely that's EXACTLY the type of review you want. You don't want it reviewed as a Mills and Boon romance when your aim is wacky humour. Why would you be disappointed by a review which saw your book exactly the same way you do?

I think the poop-scoop in her right hand (our left) would be great. Americans would see this as a nod to the Statue of Liberty.

As for the font, maybe a bold version of Tempus Sans.

I can't help feeling that you really need to suss what IWS stands for. If you're serious about a cat follow-up, try not to make it species specific - you could write the series making each book relating to a different species, even getting into animal activism.
Thanks BookCat. Yeah, the pink has to go. And the pooper-scooper LOL is not going to happen. I didn't convey my meaning well about the reviews. I meant I didn't want people thinking the book was a serious thriller and then giving me a one star review because the book was wacky and over the top.

I like the Tempus. Kind of skinny for my book though. It reminds me of "The DaVinci Code."
Old 01-11-2018, 04:11 PM   #73
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I prefer the original colors to current version, especially the orange, since it pops. Or else a simple blue background, representing sky. I think I also like the suggestion of buildings in the original, assuming the book is actually set in a city, and depending on the final positioning of the text.
Thanks Catlady. Yes, the book takes place in Chicago. A lot of people said the orange was hard on the eyes. I'm going to try the blue.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:12 PM   #74
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Thanks BookCat. Yeah, the pink has to go. And the pooper-scooper LOL is not going to happen. I didn't convey my meaning well about the reviews. I meant I didn't want people thinking the book was a serious thriller and then giving me a one star review because the book was wacky and over the top.
Well...I can't imagine that you're NOT going to make it clear, in the description, that it's not the latest Ludlum, right? (Rest his soul.). The cape ALONE makes it clear it's not an Actioner, never mind everything else.

Quote:
I like the Tempus. Kind of skinny for my book though. It reminds me of "The DaVinci Code."
Why am I not surprised?

Hitch
Old 01-11-2018, 04:16 PM   #75
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
A very rough sketch for a different colour scheme, ideally to be done with more dynamics in the titles:
Click image for larger version

Name:	arf.png
Views:	346
Size:	256.6 KB
ID:	161437

I really think the dark aspect of the humour needs some expression in the cover design, so why not make the background dark?
Closed Thread