Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 11-14-2018, 09:07 AM   #46
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Simply use something like the following for extra css:

Code:
p { margin-left: -10px !important }
and you should be fine. Or set a negative margin in the page layout section of the conversion dialog and use

Code:
body { margin-left: -10px !important }
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 10:28 AM   #47
Brett Merkey
Not Quite Dead
Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4; Galaxy Tab
Perhaps I misunderstand what "Extra CSS" is supposed to do in the Conversion dialog options. I added, as suggested:
Quote:
body {margin-right: -50px !important; margin-left: -50px !important;}
then I converted to azw3. No effect. Those rules went to the eternal bit bucket...
Brett Merkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 10:32 AM   #48
bnpssilva
Connoisseur
bnpssilva began at the beginning.

Device: KV, kOA2, KPW1, KPW2, KPW4,KT1, KT3, KT4,kOBOS, Nooks, PRS-T2
It didn't work for me neither.
bnpssilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 10:46 AM   #49
bnpssilva
Connoisseur

Wait! I think there's a catch here: It worked in a book, but not in another! Using the same process! What could be the difference ?
Old 11-14-2018, 10:51 AM   #50
Brett Merkey
Not Quite Dead
Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It worked in a book, but not in another! Using the same process! What could be the difference ?
Well, one thing to look at was pointed out earlier: does the book that was successfully converted with negative margins use a table of contents file? If so, the !important declaration (often referred to as the desperate coder's sledgehammer) may have over-rided global css rules. (?)
Old 11-14-2018, 11:08 AM   #51
bnpssilva
Connoisseur

In the test file sent by JimmyR it worked:

p {
margin-left: -3%; !important
margin-right: -3%; !important
}

But in most of the books I tested it did not; What could be the catch?
Attached Files
File Type: azw3 Lorem Ipsum (Test) - Jim Roberts.azw3 (22.9 KB, 171 views)

Last edited by bnpssilva; 11-14-2018 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:23 AM   #52
bnpssilva
Connoisseur

I think I got it!!! You have to mark off "look and feel->Margins" and "structure detection->Remove fake margins" !!

Thank you very much, kovidgoyal !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capturar2.PNG
Views:	364
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	167688   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capturar.PNG
Views:	407
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	167689  
Old 11-14-2018, 11:24 AM   #53
Brett Merkey
Not Quite Dead

Quote:
You have to mark off "look and feel->Margins" and "structure detection->Remove fake margins"
I hope that is so. What in hell is a fake margin? The settings you illustrated do not really make sense to me. But if the hack works...

Last edited by Brett Merkey; 11-14-2018 at 11:33 AM.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:28 AM   #54
bnpssilva
Connoisseur

With the new settings above its working in all my tests so far. Thanks again to kovidgoyal !!!
Old 11-14-2018, 11:44 AM   #55
Brett Merkey
Not Quite Dead

Quote:
I think I got it!!! You have to mark off "look and feel->Margins" and "structure detection->Remove fake margins" !!
There must be something more here. The code you have in the "Extra CSS" is illegal and should have been ignored. (look at the placement of semi-colons) I tried it and it failed--just as my legal code before did. Well, if it works for you, that is good, right?
Old 11-14-2018, 11:51 AM   #56
bnpssilva
Connoisseur

I don't understand. Its working for me just like that. For example, in the book I thought it was not working before, the body turn out like that, after conversion:

.calibre5 {
border-bottom: currentColor none 0;
border-top: currentColor none 0;
display: block;
padding-bottom: 0;
padding-top: 0;
text-indent: 1.5em;
margin: 0 -3%
}
Old 11-14-2018, 01:03 PM   #57
EbokJunkie
Addict
EbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Pocketbook 301+, Pocketbook Touch, Sony 950, 350
bnpssilva
Would you like to try batch file described in my post #27?
EbokJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 01:28 PM   #58
bnpssilva
Connoisseur

Hello, EbokJunkie. I'll try as soon as possible , and then let you know. The Calibre process described in post #52 worked for me anyway. Thank you.
Old 11-16-2018, 01:52 AM   #59
EbokJunkie
Addict
EbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Pocketbook 301+, Pocketbook Touch, Sony 950, 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnpssilva View Post
Hello, EbokJunkie. I'll try as soon as possible , and then let you know. The Calibre process described in post #52 worked for me anyway. Thank you.
Tried your idea from post #52 on three epubs. Unfortunately, it worked for one book but has no effect on two another. I guess you will also run into books where extra-css option is powerless.

Last edited by EbokJunkie; 11-16-2018 at 01:55 AM.
EbokJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 06:08 AM   #60
bnpssilva
Connoisseur

Indeed. In some epubs it didn't work. In these cases, I wiped out the CSS info, then repeated the process. Its a messy alternative, but worked.