Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-09-2018, 01:56 AM   #1
Jaws
JCL Punch-Card Collector
Jaws began at the beginning.

Device: Aggressively Device Independent
Enhancement/Feature Request: Limit Polishing to Single Format

At present, if a book is in both AZW and EPUB format, the Polish plug-in/feature operates on both formats. If one is using Calibre to convert from one to the other and only cares about one of the formats, this is wasteful... and slow if there are graphics, because (for what are probably good reasons) graphic compression happens independently/gets repeated for each format.

My kludge workaround is to save only the desired format to disk, remove the book, then re-add just that desired format. Needless to say, this can be sloooow for heavily illustrated books (e.g., history books with lots of bitmap maps in them), and I shudder to think what an art-history book or heraldry manual -- or even a heavily illustrated cookbook -- would do.

I've looked in the manual and throughout the preferences/tweaks areas, and in the Polish dialog itself, and can't find a way to control this. If I missed something, please say so...

Suggestion: On the Polish dialog/initiation page, include a menu item for:
Polish both EPUB and AZW if both are present
Polish only EPUB (even if AZW is also present)
Polish only AZW (even if EPUB is also present)
Jaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 04:39 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I'm afraid not, polishing typically is a fast operation (unless you are optimizing images in a very image heavy book). As such the extra complication of having polish behavior depend on an extra config option is not worth it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
interface, polish