Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-23-2010, 11:22 AM   #1
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Backup - how???

I have been using a PRS900, mostly for reading PDFs and taking notes.

Once I am done reading a file, I transfer the file from my reader to the local library using the SONY software. Doing so copies the file into one directory and the annotations into another. Both of those are under a broader "Reader" directory on my PC.

So,m I figured, if I backup this "Reader" directory I should be fine. So I did. But when I switched PC and copied that directory over to my new system (after having reinstalled SONY's software), things got messy. The Library would list the files, but when I tried opening them, I would get error messages saying the files were not found. So I had no way to retrieve my annotations (I could manually open the PDFs on my PC, but without the notes).

I tried various solutions, but despite the paths being the same, I couldn't get it to work.

So I bought a 16 GB SD card to use for backup. I put that into my reader and started using it to copy all the archived files over. That way, if I switch PC (if mine dies) I can just copy the files over from the SD card to the new PC.

Well, that worked fine for the first weeks... but now that the number of files is growing, it's becoming too slow. If I put 200 PDFs with related annotations on an SD card, then disconnect the reader, I have to wait almost an hour for it to 'LOAD'. And things will only get worst over time, as my library grows.

Heh, sorry for the long post. I thought the detail was important. Has anyone found a smart way of backing things up (including annotations?).
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote