Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-07-2009, 11:16 AM   #1
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Anybody lose their ereader and get it back?

Just wondering if anyone has misplaced their ereader and had a kind soul return it. Yup, I left my entire briefcase on the train. It is purple paisley, so I imagine it will be found, and if it is not dunked in water because they think it is a bomb, I suspect I will get it back. Luckily, it had no work stuff inside. Unluckily, it had a print out of my bank statement, my credit card statement, and my kindle. My kindle is in a red Oberon case, with a business card taped to the inside of the case, and the back of the kindle.

How could I lose my entire briefcase? I decided to watch a movie on my ipod (A Woman's Face, with Ingrid Bergman) and do some charity knitting. The movie was getting really good (it has subtitles) when I was getting off the train, and I put my coat on, but not my briefcase (I wear it crossways across my chest) I am hopeful I built up a few bits of karma with the charity knitting. But everything is closed, so I cannot find out if my briefcase made it to lost and found until Monday. Good news is my assistant recently left his checkbook on the train, and got it back.

Anyone with a good story about a good samaritan to get me through the weekend?
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 12:17 PM   #2
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Sorry to hear about your lost briefcase. I hope you get it back.

The reason for my reply is that I picked up your remark: ... if it is not dunked in water because they think it is a bomb. Where I come from, they never dunk a suspected bomb in water. Rather, they blow it up in a controlled explosion.

(Sorry, you probably didn't want to hear that.)
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2009, 12:20 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post

The reason for my reply is that I picked up your remark: ... if it is not dunked in water because they think it is a bomb. Where I come from, they never dunk a suspected bomb in water. Rather, they blow it up in a controlled explosion.

I would have thought, personally, that dropping it in water would be most likely to cause an electrical short-circuit and make it explode!

What they actually generally do here in the UK is to have a little wheeled robot which blasts it with a shotgun at point-blank range, on the ground that that will destroy the electronics of the device - or, er, Kindle...

I'm sure, though, that a briefcase left on a seat will simply be handed in as lost property. People are generally pretty honest about that kind of thing.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 12:27 PM   #4
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post

No, I will understand that. Actually, I would like to know they did it - a little worried about identity theft, as well. Although I have identity theft protection with my credit card. Luckily, I have all my books backed up on my computer and my back-up, and my daughter's kindle 1 is just gathering dust.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:28 PM   #5
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I would have thought, personally, that dropping it in water would be most likely to cause an electrical short-circuit and make it explode!

What they actually generally do here in the UK is to have a little wheeled robot which blasts it with a shotgun at point-blank range, on the ground that that will destroy the electronics of the device - or, er, Kindle...

I'm sure, though, that a briefcase left on a seat will simply be handed in as lost property. People are generally pretty honest about that kind of thing.
I'm having fun imagining all this. Thanks, gentlemen.
Advert
Old 11-07-2009, 01:56 PM   #6
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
YES this thread applies to me because I'm a complete airhead (I can call myself that!) at losing things.

We were at CenterParcs (family holiday place in the UK) and I left my bag slung over my chair in a restaurant - my bag had my ereader, my purse, my nintendo ds, my mobile and loads of other little bits. Some kind guy came running after me with it as I was about to leave. How lucky was I?

I once left my handbag on a shopping trolley and wandered off (busy thinking about other things as usual) and luckily something jolted my memory and I raced back - amazingly it was still there.

As I said, complete airhead. And I've been very lucky.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 02:43 PM   #7
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshm View Post
YES this thread applies to me because I'm a complete airhead (I can call myself that!) at losing things.

We were at CenterParcs (family holiday place in the UK) and I left my bag slung over my chair in a restaurant - my bag had my ereader, my purse, my nintendo ds, my mobile and loads of other little bits. Some kind guy came running after me with it as I was about to leave. How lucky was I?

I once left my handbag on a shopping trolley and wandered off (busy thinking about other things as usual) and luckily something jolted my memory and I raced back - amazingly it was still there.

As I said, complete airhead. And I've been very lucky.
Good for you!!! I hope I am so lucky. This is the first time in 9 years I left something on the train. Never again!
Old 11-07-2009, 02:45 PM   #8
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
Good for you!!! I hope I am so lucky. This is the first time in 9 years I left something on the train. Never again!
I really hope you get it back - there are many honest peeps out there so let's hope it works out for you
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 03:48 PM   #9
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Not an ebook reader, but my mother-in-law just got her brand-new laptop back after it got switched with someone else's at airport security. TSA was quite helpful in putting the two owners in touch with each other. (It was pretty funny, actually--turned out that two white-haired ladies in wheelchairs going through security at the same time got their laptops switched.) Both computers found their way safely home.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 04:13 PM   #10
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

What a sweet story!
Old 11-07-2009, 05:05 PM   #11
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
that it turns out well and you get your briefcase and everything in it back.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 06:31 PM   #12
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
that it turns out well and you get your briefcase and everything in it back.
Thanks so much. Back at 'ya (for whatever you need).
Old 11-07-2009, 08:00 PM   #13
alecE
Evangelist
alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs505, prs650, kobo Glo HD liseuses
Really hope you get it all back!
alecE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 09:07 PM   #14
snape
Language Lover
snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.

Device: Current: PRS-350, Kindle PW // Previous: PRS-505, Kindle 1, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
Actually, I would like to know they did it - a little worried about identity theft, as well.
Oh, I'm pretty sure they'll get in touch with you.
snape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 12:42 AM   #15
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
My husband left his Kindle on the train and some nice person turned it in to the transit agency's lost and found. It took about a week for it to get from that station to the central office but we did get it back. Good luck!
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote