Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-29-2008, 11:04 AM   #1
Lanyon
Lanyon doesn't litterLanyon doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 505
How do Calibre users....

Determine which books have been loaded from the library to the Sony reader and/or card memory?

I have been using the "series" field in metadata to say...

book A is in the reader, book B is on the card and no data in the field to say it is due for transfer.

Perhaps a comment field or similar in Calibre would be nice...
Lanyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:13 PM   #2
donslade
donslade doesn't litterdonslade doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505, Nook STR, Kindle PW3
When I connect my PRS-505 to the PC and start up Calibre it will show the library, the PRS-505 and the memory card in the top window. You can click on each to see what is loaded in each one.

If you use the Sony software it does the same in the left column.
donslade is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2008, 02:03 PM   #3
Lanyon
Lanyon doesn't litterLanyon doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by donslade View Post
When I connect my PRS-505 to the PC and start up Calibre it will show the library, the PRS-505 and the memory card in the top window. You can click on each to see what is loaded in each one.

If you use the Sony software it does the same in the left column.
Hi Donslade,

yes I can see that, however,, I was looking for a quick way to look at the library to see where everything was, and I thought a comments field in Calibre might prove useful. As I said, I am using the "Series" field currently for that purpose.

Cheers...

Jim
Lanyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 02:12 PM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanyon View Post
Hi Donslade,

yes I can see that, however,, I was looking for a quick way to look at the library to see where everything was, and I thought a comments field in Calibre might prove useful. As I said, I am using the "Series" field currently for that purpose.

Cheers...

Jim
there is a comments field in calibre, it is visible on the bottom of the main screen in the library view and you can access it in the meta data screen. i use it for descriptions but you could add location as well.

or, you could use tags, which can be bulk edited so that would be very easy. also you can sort by tag ; helpful for this case.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:49 AM   #5
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Actually its a good suggestion could calibre have a field which showed a tick if it had been moved to reader? That would be cool.
I know it can be done manually but auto would be cool.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2008, 10:51 AM   #6
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
Actually its a good suggestion could calibre have a field which showed a tick if it had been moved to reader? That would be cool.
I know it can be done manually but auto would be cool.
i wouldn't mind that, i often find myself going back and forth to check whether i've moved a specific book over yet or not.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:03 AM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i wouldn't mind that, i often find myself going back and forth to check whether i've moved a specific book over yet or not.
you could of course tag them... with something like "on reader". When you highlight the ones you are going to send to reader... Click on "edit metadata" and add the tag "onreader" or something. That tag will be applied to all of them. Then do your send to reader. Now, you can sort by that tag... or not by it.

Of course, removing the tag will be a bit harder.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:05 AM   #8
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
you could of course tag them... with something like "on reader". When you highlight the ones you are going to send to reader... Click on "edit metadata" and add the tag "onreader" or something. That tag will be applied to all of them. Then do your send to reader. Now, you can sort by that tag... or not by it.

Of course, removing the tag will be a bit harder.

BOb
but that would be far too easy and make too much sense. (actually i did mention tags already. but still, too much sense.)
Old 12-30-2008, 11:32 AM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
but that would be far too easy and make too much sense.
Gods forbid.

BOb
Old 12-30-2008, 11:33 AM   #10
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Gods forbid.

BOb
that's what i'm saying.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:43 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Note that you dont actually have to click edit metadata. Just double click the tags field and edit right there.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:44 AM   #12
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Note that you dont actually have to click edit metadata. Just double click the tags field and edit right there.
yes, but then you have to do them one at a time, whereas if you ctrl or shift click all the books you want to tag and then hit E you can do them in one fell swoop. nice. i'm all for reduction of labor (= i'm lazy).
Old 12-30-2008, 12:11 PM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Hey. Now that you mention it, I just noticed that the tags column is no showing up on my grid. Even though it is enabled in the config.

BOb
Old 12-30-2008, 12:15 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Hey. Now that you mention it, I just noticed that the tags column is no showing up on my grid. Even though it is enabled in the config.

BOb
There was a bug related to that a few versions back, what version are you using?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:17 PM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
There was a bug related to that a few versions back, what version are you using?

BOb