Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-30-2017, 07:01 AM   #1
seti2
seti2 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Arrow Best E-ink for browsing?

Hi all,

I want to buy my dad an E-ink reader for browsing.
He reads from the internet for hours, and it hurts his eyes.

I know nothing in this category is perfect for that use, but what is the best available?
seti2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 02:43 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
What is he currently using? I know you have specified eink, but honestly, I'd suggest he at least try a tablet with an adjustable temperature light and high resolution screen. An iPad with NightShift/TrueTone would do, or an Android equivalent.

Browsing on eink is a pretty miserable experience if you're doing it for any length of time.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2017, 08:52 AM   #3
Begemot
Zealot
Begemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Sony DPT-S1, Kindle DX, iPad, Kobo Mini,H20,iRiver StoryHD
Well the best option if price ($1k) is no object would be the new version of the 13inch e-ink monitor:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/p...monitor-13-3#/

Here's the discussion on the new model: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ghlight=DASUNG

The new version is supposed to have HDMI input which should cut down on the lag a bit.

Otherwise you might want to check out any of the Android based e-ink readers, at least the browser will render everything.

My Sony DPT-S1 is only good for very limited set of web pages (text heavy no javascript).
Begemot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 10:35 AM   #4
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Probably an Onyx. It has a sub-forum here.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 10:46 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I would say go for a tablet instead. eInk isn't all that good for general browsing.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2017, 12:00 PM   #6
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I would say go for a tablet instead. eInk isn't all that good for general browsing.
Here we go again. Completely agreeing on tablets are better than experimental browsers.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 12:28 PM   #7
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by seti2 View Post
Hi all,

I want to buy my dad an E-ink reader for browsing.
He reads from the internet for hours, and it hurts his eyes.

I know nothing in this category is perfect for that use, but what is the best available?
What kind of things does he browse on the internet?

If it's something like newspaper articles or web articles, Kobo supports pocket. You find an article and save it to pocket using a PC,phone or even on the Kobo and it syncs to the device. It's pretty simple to use and it formats articles in a better way to read on an eInk device.

It's not really great for something like forums or reddit though.

I've only played with Kobo and Kindle's web browsing but neither give a great experience IMO.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 02:53 PM   #8
seti2
seti2 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Thanks guys!

He mainly uses it for Wikipedia, and various heavy text sites
seti2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 02:58 PM   #9
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For wiki,
Just pick one.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:17 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by seti2 View Post
Thanks guys!

He mainly uses it for Wikipedia, and various heavy text sites
Mainly, but for those site that are not mainly, and eInk Reader isn't great (or even good). A tablet is best.

The problem is that Android based Readers can install apps like a web browser, but most apps need a higher version Android so that's out.

Kindle & Kobo browsers are meh (at best) so that's out,

LCD tablets like an iPad are good enough in most cases. Sometimes tablet browsers won't work on some sites so you'd need to go to a a computer browser (laptop, desktop, tablet running Windows).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 03:04 PM   #11
sonict72
Enthusiast
sonict72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonict72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonict72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonict72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonict72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonict72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonict72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonict72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonict72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonict72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonict72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I would say Sony950 probably had the best web browser implementation on Eink. M96 is also capable but you are using Android browsers which were not designed for Eink. And quite frankly, they all suck. Amoled screen with black and white inverted screen gives you surprisingly good reading experience. So much so that I no longer use any of my Eink devices.
sonict72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 09:53 PM   #12
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Which limousine is best for off-road mudding?
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 09:57 PM   #13
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
Which limousine is best for off-road mudding?
The Hummer Limousine.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:12 AM   #14
Techno
Enthusiast
Techno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Techno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Techno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Techno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Techno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Techno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Techno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Techno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Techno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Techno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Techno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PC/Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonict72 View Post
Amoled screen with black and white inverted screen gives you surprisingly good reading experience. So much so that I no longer use any of my Eink devices.
Can you tell me more about Amoled? Is it affordable? Can you use it for web browsing for hours?
Techno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:57 AM   #15
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno View Post
Can you tell me more about Amoled? Is it affordable?
It is usually found on a high-end phones and some of the more expensive tablets.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote