Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-25-2008, 05:29 AM   #31
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
"Nick Hornby is:
Option's A thru C are obvious. Option D requires a bit of thinking. If he were a stellar author, he'd want to see his books available on as many platforms (including dead-tree) as possible. He doesn't. Which means he lacks confidence in his own work. Which means *HE* thinks his writing stinks.

Derek

I think it's the opposite. Someone good and famous, doesn't need more publicity. Doesn't need to reach out from obscurity. They sell well, their books get known by word of mouth. Famous authors have more to loose if they choose a medium that is easier to be pirated.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 01:57 PM   #32
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
I come from a family who always had a lot of books around. I don't think my father picked up a book after high school (not counting reading for work). Our home was filled due to my mother. Her mother (my grandmother) did not believe girls should continue school after high school and should go from parents to husband, period. My mother is a very smart woman but could not see past disrespecting her parents wishes so she carried on her education on her own. I have the bad habit of walking into a house and looking for the books to figure out 'who these people are'. I myself and my sisters and brother all have a ton of books in our homes, maybe not too much my younger sisters. I can see the next generations with few books but a lot of digital libraries. One of the first things I got rid of was my old Golden Book Encyclopedia set. I loved it as a kid but had not touched it in 35 years. I also gave away my collection of National Geographic Magazines. I still have a huge comic book and illustrated novel collection and not a few art books. My magazines now are from Zinio straight to my Mac. I have the digital version of 'Cult of Mac' and love it. I wish more picture books (coffee table books) came in a digital format. I maybe have 200 romanic novels and the same amount of favorite science fiction novels in paperback but I pretty much stopped buying them over the last 5 years. There is the odd flea market and used book store purchase but that is nothing like it used to be. I love books but they take up too much space and are a pain when you have to move.

People will have to change their ideas of what a well read house looks like in the future.

Last edited by pagansoul; 07-25-2008 at 02:02 PM.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2008, 07:29 PM   #33
iterati
Zealot
iterati doesn't litteriterati doesn't litter

Device: Hanlin V3, RCA REB1100, iPaq 214
Therefore the so called “book lovers” are pitiful, scared of progress, highly insecure, love the smell of paper and also they pride themselves as elitists? For the “never” better not be so absolute, the same arguments we had when moved from horses to automobiles (there were people that loved the smell of horses, apparently).

The “pill” example is totally absurd, why we must eat everything? And if books die then why that must be negative or sad? Sad is that 3 billion people starving and the rest lost in their apathy. Why must be depressing If people don’t like to read? If they can still be productive to their work, helpful to society and find entertainment in other forms then all is well; the elitism about reading is extremely annoying.

About the iLiad now, there are solutions less expensive and the “book industry” either will get over it and decide that must move ahead or find oblivion. I assume that he referred to publishers mostly and them as middlemen – ergo parasites – have many to lose and fear change.
iterati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 04:14 AM   #34
Be Szpilman
Fetch that LRF
Be Szpilman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, Treo 650
Well he's in for a hard time feeding his habit off of trees through the next decades.

Hey, if someone ever sends him a reader, be sure to send all his works inside! Sure it will be illegal, but his eyes will burn before he even notices what's it about. "The Horror! The Horror! Herectics!" I can smell the dread.
Be Szpilman is offline   Reply With Quote