Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-14-2007, 11:52 PM   #1
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Amazon Whispernet -- Trademark Information Discovered!

First off, a mea culpa is in order, I was trying to split off some posts into their own thread so that they could have the front page exposure they deserve, and managed to delete them instead.

So, I'm left with reproducing them as best I can from the cached pages in my browser (thank the powers that be for browser caches!)

This was originally posted by Nate the great, who is quickly living up to his moniker!

-- NatCh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great
Warning: the trademark queries won't work. Sorry
So I am a little bored, and have nothing better to do. I did a trademark search on "Whispernet" and "Kindle". I was inspired to do this by the manual.

Whispernet was trademarked back in May 2007. The process was begun, at least. There are actually seven entries for Whispernet. All may apply to the Amazon Kindle.I don't know. Six were filed for a guy named Mark Cheikhali of New Jersey - all on 22 May 2007. The other one was filed on 23 May by the corporation that holds the trademark to "Kindle". Does he work for them or did he beat them to the punch? I'm not telling.
http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield...h=Submit+Query
description of second from the top:
Quote:
Wireless broadband communication services; text and numeric wireless digital messaging services; communication via wireless ebook reader
Kindle was trademarked in May 2006.
http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?r...entry=78874830
description:

Quote:
Portable electronic device for receiving and reading text and images and sound through wireless Internet access and for displaying electronically published materials, namely, books, journals, newspapers, magazines, multimedia presentations; computer hardware and software in the field of text, image and sound transmission and display
The kindle trademark is owned by a corporation with an address just outside Seattle. It occurs to me that Amazon is based in Seattle. I'm sure that's just a coincidence.

P.S. The attached pictures are the actual trademarks.
P.P.S. If anyone from Amazon is reading this, yes I can be bribed to not reveal any more info. I want one of the first Kindles.

Here are the trademark records:

http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?r...entry=78874830
http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?r...entry=77188453
@Nate: I couldn't save the images you attached, if you wouldn't mind reattaching them to this thread, I'd appreciate it.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 11:56 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
This is why you always leave a copy of it open in a different window as a backup.
Attached Images

Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2007, 12:01 AM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Yup, and I'm very glad I did that, otherwise I wouldn't have had the other copy to reconstruct from. I suppose that's the bright side -- I get to be an object lesson for others.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 05:58 AM   #4
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Great find Nate!
Now, all we need is the official presentation of the Kindle today and we'll be fine...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 08:59 AM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I googled the address of the trademark owner. The address is a storefront in a shopping center in Seattle, WA. I do not know if this address is current, just that it is on the paper work that was filed back in May.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=20126+...i=map&ct=title

In case anyone is interested in going there and checking them out, the address is:

Izy, Inc.
#216 20126 Ballinger Way NE
Shoreline WASHINGTON 98155
Advert
Old 10-15-2007, 09:01 AM   #6
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Let's hope we have somebody here who lives nearby and can check it out. Validationg rumours that way is always the very best way...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 09:16 AM   #7
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Nice work Nate the great. You put in hours of good journalistic qualities. Sad we didn't have your words to build up around it.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 09:30 AM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Izy, Inc. is registered in Delaware. (It's really easy to do this, you don't even have to go there.)

https://sos-res.state.de.us/tin/GINameSearch.jsp

I am currently looking up a phone # for the address in Seattle. BRB.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:58 PM   #9
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Yes, but what does it !%@!$*$!&#!! look like?!?
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 01:21 PM   #10
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Yes, but what does it !%@!$*$!&#!! look like?!?
You've seen the FCC photos, right? It might look something like that (I think)(maybe).
Old 10-15-2007, 01:38 PM   #11
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
You've seen the FCC photos, right? It might look something like that (I think)(maybe).
I think only the basic features will come out of that design unscathed. It's a good thing for Amazon that those pictures came out so early, they will have prevented a flop brought on by that design 'faux pas'. That design could also have been intentionnally skewed just like what's seen on spy photos of new car designs spotted around proving grounds.

We can only dream and wish at what will actually come out.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 01:26 PM   #12
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

It's amazing what you learn with a 20 minute phone call

The state of Delaware has a number you can call to get info on a corporation registered there. You can learn some really interesting things.

For instance, the 2006 annual report for IZY, Inc. lists Rick Hansen and Michael Hatch as corporate officers. An address is not provided, but a phone number is: 206-266-2335.

The 2005 annual report list the corporate officers as Ellenore Angelidis and Terri Israel. Again, there is no address provided; but the phone number is the same.

The phone number and names generate some quite interesting Google search results. I have found a PDF with Ellenore Angelidis described as Amazon.com associate counsel. I have found the cover sheet for from Amazon.com that lists Terri Israel as an executive assistant (who has the authority to sign off on it).

Unfortunately, I cannot find anything relevant for Michael Hatch or Rick Hansen. (Actually, I did find multiple listings for the names on www.whitepages.com, but I am trying to pursue this through Amazon rather than cold-calling them. )

Oh, by the way, that phone number is a direct dial for Amazon customer assistance .