Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 06-10-2011, 12:32 PM   #1
North19
Enthusiast
North19 began at the beginning.

Device: entourage eDGe, pocket eDGe, kindle
EE versus PE--and hinge issue

Is the EE in general lighter and less solid (I am trying not to say flimsy) in feel than the PE?

That may be a silly question, but I can't tell if my EE is just an early early model or if this is typical. I had the PE first, and that feels seriously solid and well built.

My EE doesn't. It feels thin and much more... plastic-y. It does not feel well made in the same way at all. (If I feel I overpaid on it used, I can't imagine it felt worth the money new.)

Plus the hinge on my EE does not move freely; it moves okay on one side and the other is very very very stiff and does not like to turn. I end up not folding one side behind the other as my fear is that the hinge is somehow jammed up with the cables and wires etc not properly positioned, and I don't want to kill it by wearing away at them.

Any thoughts?
North19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:03 PM   #2
paula-t
paula-t began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
My EE is very sturdy and solid, and it doesn't seem plasticky at all. On the contrary, it is quite heavy, as heavy as one of the thick, 1,300 pages fat books I tended to carry before.

The hinges move well and completely, but they make a "stop-click-go ahead" at one part of the full turnaround, if you know what I mean. However, this is not an impediment at all.

Try to go to some of the stores which still have Edges to sell (if they have), as JR or BestBuy or Stapes, and compare yours to a new one. This is what I would do. If I can weigh my Edge in a reliable scale, I will tell you how much mine weighs (fortunately, the amount of books stored does not affect in this regard).
paula-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2011, 08:04 PM   #3
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
When I first got me EE about three weeks ago I was hesitant about the hinge and was doing almost what you are doing, folding one side behind the other. Like paula-t said, there is a clicking noise at one point in the fold and that kind of bothered me at first, but now I just fold it in one natural motion. It just takes some getting used to because it is not the same as the PE hinge which is quiet and seems effortless. However, I can assure you after you fold the EE enough times you will get used to it and realize it is pretty well built.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:02 AM   #4
Last_of_the_PEs
Groupie
Last_of_the_PEs began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage PE
Since the EE has a larger body but the same type of frame, it will naturally feel like it has more flex than a PE. I'd love to have an EE built with a "Zero Centurion" style case. I'm extra careful not to scratch the plastic case on my PE.
Last_of_the_PEs is offline   Reply With Quote