Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 04-14-2011, 10:08 AM   #1
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Asus Eee Pad Transformer end of April?

If the latest rumors are true the wait could be a very short one

http://joannastern.com/2011/04/yes-a...-the-keyboard/
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:18 PM   #2
madsquabbles
Groupie
madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: samsung 8.9, galaxy note 10.1, galaxy note 2, nook hd+, ipad
looking forward to this one. i have to talk myself out of preordering if it becomes available soon. i've been keeping an eye on the european reviews and they seem to be very positive so far.
madsquabbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2011, 02:04 PM   #3
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am too, want to see this in the wild and compare with the Xoom and then make my decision. I don't have the patience for the Samsung out in June or July or whenever.

the price to specs with an included laptop dock that doubles as a charger, is too sweet to pass over.

But the Xoom is out now at a great price and I love the screen and hardware. So it'll be alot of back and forth at Staples or Best Buy.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:30 PM   #4
caryanne2
caryanne2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Is the ASUS eeepad transformer going to be exclusive to Best Buy? Or do you think Amazon will also sell it?
caryanne2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:37 PM   #5
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
I am too, want to see this in the wild and compare with the Xoom and then make my decision. I don't have the patience for the Samsung out in June or July or whenever.

the price to specs with an included laptop dock that doubles as a charger, is too sweet to pass over.

But the Xoom is out now at a great price and I love the screen and hardware. So it'll be alot of back and forth at Staples or Best Buy.
I'd hold out for the Asus Transformer. To me, it seems like the best iPad alternative. In fact, I think it's the first Android tablet to get everything right, including the price. Even though I have an iPad 2 now, I still want one (can't afford it now though lol).

Have you checked out the Acer Iconia yet? I'm anxious to see how that one compares to the Xoom as well. Although, I'm not sure about the Acer brand. I really thought that I would wind up with a Xoom, but for some reason, I really didn't like the form factor (it didn't feel right in my hands, especially in portrait mode). Also, I think they should have offered a 16gb wifi version for $500 to compete with the low end iPad 2. Now the Acer and the Asus look to have a better design for some reason. I guess it's all speculation until the devices actually arrive in U.S. stores, but the advanced buzz overseas is positive so far for both tablets.

Edit: Actually, the Toshiba tablet looks pretty hot too right now!

Last edited by Noah98; 04-15-2011 at 08:18 AM.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2011, 10:12 AM   #6
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post
I'd hold out for the Asus Transformer. To me, it seems like the best iPad alternative. In fact, I think it's the first Android tablet to get everything right, including the price. Even though I have an iPad 2 now, I still want one (can't afford it now though lol).

Have you checked out the Acer Iconia yet? I'm anxious to see how that one compares to the Xoom as well. Although, I'm not sure about the Acer brand. I really thought that I would wind up with a Xoom, but for some reason, I really didn't like the form factor (it didn't feel right in my hands, especially in portrait mode). Also, I think they should have offered a 16gb wifi version for $500 to compete with the low end iPad 2. Now the Acer and the Asus look to have a better design for some reason. I guess it's all speculation until the devices actually arrive in U.S. stores, but the advanced buzz overseas is positive so far for both tablets.

Edit: Actually, the Toshiba tablet looks pretty hot too right now!
I agree I think, if everything goes off without a hitch, Asus does seem to be the first high end Android tablet to , "Get it right" out of the Gate. First by not getting into bed with the carriers and having to charge a contract and by releasing a wifi only first. Hmm that's a novel concept, listening to what the consumer wants. :
and pricing on a level it knows it has to inorder to compete sucessfully. This is a HUGE play on the people who just can't justify spending even $500 on a tablet instead of a laptop regardless if it's an iPad or whatever. a $400 price tag now gets one to think "Ok $400 , I'm listening."

Also what I think Asus is REALLY getting right, is packaging the tablet and a full functioning laptop dock as a single device. and again the $550 is price tag that doesn't scare off people. I know the keyboard accessory is nothing new. You can get one for the iPad, the xoom and the Samsung. But these are looked upon as accessory and as an add on. But bundling them together as a single device, changes our perception. Plus having it be a charging dock with USB ports, and track pad. This smart, really smart. and IMHO I think this will be how tablets are going to be sold down the road. the combo . I can totally foresee 2 years from now these Laptop docks holding alot of internal memory and RAM. 5 years from now I can see the tablet laptop combo being the the norm and replacing traditionally Laptops. The laptops docs being as suuped up on specs similiar to current laptops. (Intel processors, RAM, Internal memory, disk drives etc.)
I do think what we are seeing with Asus is a glimpse of the future of this market.

I did see the Toshiba one, also pretty sweet.
Another one to keep an eye on, if it does come to market is the Vizo one. Nice specs, has a Vizo tv ecosytem thing going on, acts as mutlidevice universal remote and coming in at 8 inches or 8.9 inches. And if Vizo holds true to their marketing strategy, expect this one to come in at a very competitive price.

This really is an exciting time for people who held off to see how this market shape up.

Last edited by boswd; 04-15-2011 at 10:27 AM.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:05 PM   #7
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
I agree I think, if everything goes off without a hitch, Asus does seem to be the first high end Android tablet to , "Get it right" out of the Gate. First by not getting into bed with the carriers and having to charge a contract and by releasing a wifi only first. Hmm that's a novel concept, listening to what the consumer wants. :
and pricing on a level it knows it has to inorder to compete sucessfully. This is a HUGE play on the people who just can't justify spending even $500 on a tablet instead of a laptop regardless if it's an iPad or whatever. a $400 price tag now gets one to think "Ok $400 , I'm listening."

Also what I think Asus is REALLY getting right, is packaging the tablet and a full functioning laptop dock as a single device. and again the $550 is price tag that doesn't scare off people. I know the keyboard accessory is nothing new. You can get one for the iPad, the xoom and the Samsung. But these are looked upon as accessory and as an add on. But bundling them together as a single device, changes our perception. Plus having it be a charging dock with USB ports, and track pad. This smart, really smart. and IMHO I think this will be how tablets are going to be sold down the road. the combo . I can totally foresee 2 years from now these Laptop docks holding alot of internal memory and RAM. 5 years from now I can see the tablet laptop combo being the the norm and replacing traditionally Laptops. The laptops docs being as suuped up on specs similiar to current laptops. (Intel processors, RAM, Internal memory, disk drives etc.)
I do think what we are seeing with Asus is a glimpse of the future of this market.

I did see the Toshiba one, also pretty sweet.
Another one to keep an eye on, if it does come to market is the Vizo one. Nice specs, has a Vizo tv ecosytem thing going on, acts as mutlidevice universal remote and coming in at 8 inches or 8.9 inches. And if Vizo holds true to their marketing strategy, expect this one to come in at a very competitive price.

This really is an exciting time for people who held off to see how this market shape up.
I agree completely. Asus is bringing something new and innovative with the design of the keyboard dock. This is probably where tablets should go in the future--convergence. Also, the ips screen on the Asus looks fantastic in some of the videos that I have seen. One advantage that the ipad has is the vibrant colors. The Xoom screen seemed a little dull in comparison. I think even the 7" Samsung Galaxt Tab had better colors. Asus is not allowing apple to one up them in any of the important areas such as screen quality. If I know nothing about tablets, or even televisions for that matter, a better screen goes a long way towards influencing my decision.

Asus was the first to innovate with the netbook, and I trust that they are using the right strategy in their entry into the tablet market.

I wouldn't count the Toshiba out either...
Old 04-19-2011, 08:30 AM   #8
Noah98
Eccentric

Very encouraging review!

http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/18/a...dition-review/
Old 04-19-2011, 10:32 AM   #9
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Quote:
The actual display did not disappoint, either, with a beautiful, well saturated picture that maintained its vibrancy even as you tilt the tablet to test out ASUS' promised 178-degree viewing angles. Some brightness is lost at extreme angles, but it's a true IPS panel, of that there is no doubt. It's gorgeous enough to make the Xoom press its own power button and skulk off into a dark corner.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:36 AM   #10
Noah98
Eccentric

Another positive review:

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/asus...ag=epicStories
Old 04-21-2011, 12:11 PM   #11
ZombieEatsYou
Groupie
ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 7" & 8.9"/Sony PRS 950/Entourage eDGe/Acer A500
I'm trying to hold out for the slider.
ZombieEatsYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 02:07 PM   #12
boswd
Banned

Quote:
just read the Anandantech I don't agree with him totoaly about the laptop dock being expensive, but overall he seemed to be quite impressed and after watching his walk through, I am truely leaning heavily towards this

Interesting how he said holding it was very nice and comfortable.

I do agree with him that this is the direction laptops and tablets are heading. They'll be one device.

It's a solid review

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4277/a...sformer-review
Old 04-21-2011, 07:02 PM   #13
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
This looks slick. Great price, too. Should give us a real good idea what the appetite for non-ipad slates is. (almost guarantee this is what I would have gotten if not for the Verizon ipad clearance sale. Heck, I want one anyway, but no way I can justify it on my finances)
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:47 PM   #14
Noah98
Eccentric

This is my favorite so far. May have to sell some more of my old gadgets to afford one...
Old 04-22-2011, 02:43 AM   #15
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
Asus Eee Pad: The tablet that thinks it's a netbook
bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/click_online
21 April 2011
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote