Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-23-2017, 10:14 PM   #26416
Panchax
Enthusiast
Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glowlight
Just finished The Outsiders andRumble Fish by S. E. Hinton. Both good books, but too similar to one another to make it worth reading both. Makes me realize how I wasn't as tough as I thought I was in high school
Started King Rat by China Miéville, and I am still in the middle of the Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo. I actually like both of them just as much in just about every way.
I hate that my ereader has so many books! If I was reading pbooks, I would have finished The Hunchback of Notre Dame before starting the next thing.
Panchax is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2017, 04:33 AM   #26417
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: F&SF, September 2017.
Which was an above average issue, mainly because of "Hollywood Squid" and "Starlight Express".

"Evil Opposite" by Naomi Kritzer was a promising but disappointing (IMO) look at a researcher's reactions to the multi-world theory of QM.
"We Are Born" by Dare Segun Falowo was an odd fantasy set in Nigeria.
"Tasting Notes on the Varietals of the Southern Coast" is (underneath) a rather good MilSf short centred on Wine.
"The Care of House Plants" by Jeremy Minton is a disturbing look at future biotech.
"The Hermit of Houston" by Samuel R. Delany I just didn't believe in at all.
"On Highway 18" by Rebecca Campbell is an odd ghost story.
"Hollywood Squid" by Oliver Buckram was a funny SF story, the best thing in the issue, IMO.
"Still Tomorrow's Going to Be Another Working Day" by Amy Griswold is a good short on the problems of loans and biotech.
"Bodythoughts" by Rahul Kanakia is an odd post-alien-war story.
"Riddle" by Lisa Mason is a disturbing fantasy with the most famous riddler of antiquity.
"Children of Xanadu" is a good SF again on biotech and ethics.
"The Two-choice Foxtrot of Chapham County" by Tina Connolly is an interesting fantasy but had too many fantastical elements for me.
"Starlight Express" by Michael Swanwick is a very good look at a far future when interstellar travel has come and gone.

Next up: The Rose Rent by Ellis Peters. The 13th in her Cadfael series.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 11:16 AM   #26418
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S7 Edge and Galaxy Tab 4 7.0
FInished Covenant: A Superteam Novel. Continuing Fact of a Body, though because of the content, I may deviate again... I want to read it, but I can only handle so much at a time.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:38 AM   #26419
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Finished Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Audio) by J. K. Rowling; it does seem to make the long drive go by faster...
Old Yesterday, 09:35 AM   #26420
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I finished the second Comissario Ricciardi book last night in the hotel. This one was almost twice the length of the first and had more depth of character. I have requested the third be sent to my closest library and will likely start it at the end of the week.

I am now re-reading Winesburg, Ohio. I am not sure what I'll list to next, but it will likely be the Librivox version of Frankenstein or the unabridged full cast recording of Dracula. I've read both books before, but never listened to them. I've been seeing pumpkins everywhere, so I thought I'd get into the thematic reading. Should be a nice background to my continued sorting/organizing/prep for packing activities.
Finishing up Winesburg, Ohio this morning with my coffee. I did indeed pick up the third Commisar Ricciardo at the library and will start that this evening.

I am going to hold off on Frankenstein or the unabridged full cast recording of Dracula until October is here.

Rather, I am listening to Michael Cunningham read his novel The Hours. (While baking cookies for the Lady of the house). The film adaptation was one of me and my wife's first dates back on Valentine's of 2005. I am enamored of the language all over again.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:52 PM   #26421
CRussel
Grand Sorcerer
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage,Kindle PW, Fire HD 8.9, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Still reading The Late Show, by Michael Connelly, and it's improving as we focus more on the story, and less on the back story. But I had to put it down for a bit, the eARC of NeoGenesis, the 21st book in the Liaden Universe® released yesterday, and I'm well into that already.
Well, I devoured NeoGenesis, by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller. This brought a whole bunch of threads together, and we can clearly see the direction forward, though I somehow suspect that the next book will have one or two little surprises in it. IAC, if you've been reading the Liaden Universe, I highly recommend NeoGenesis. The release version will be out in January, but this eARC is quite clean and highly recommended.

After finishing NeoGenesis, I returned to Michael Connelly's The Late Show. My final take on it is 3.5, which I'll bump up, rather than down, as most of the negative can be attributed to first book in new series issues. I like the protagonist, Renée Ballard, and I think there's real potential going forward.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:57 PM   #26422
Dngrsone
Almost legible

Finished The Fact of a Body; this is a powerful book which revolves around some very unfortunate and plain awful actions and events. The narrative is a search for truth via the transcripts of several trials and interwoven with the author's own experiences and personal history. Ultimately, her conclusions about such things as truth are similar to what I myself have discovered during my lifetime of learning through literature and other assorted arts.