Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-01-2011, 09:58 AM   #61
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Thanks, Paul. Now you mention it, it does ring a bell. Aren't they the company which owns Mills and Boon?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:19 AM   #62
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Another biggish publisher that is not part of the agency model (although I would bet they will also adopt it soon): Workman Publishing. They are known for calendars and cookbooks, but one of their imprints is the "literary" publisher Algonquin Books.

Sheri
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:30 AM   #63
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Thanks, Paul. Now you mention it, it does ring a bell. Aren't they the company which owns Mills and Boon?
Yes, they bought Mills and Book in the early 1970s. Although Harlequin in turn are owned by Toronto Star Limited.

They run their own ebook website as part of their eHarlequin web site: http://ebooks.eharlequin.com/ and while most of their ebooks use Adobe DRM, at least one of their imprints (Carina Press) is DRM free.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:38 AM   #64
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
I believe it is anti-competitive and anti-free-market. I feel the same way about MAP policies from Apple and others. I believe for a free market, the retailer should be able to purchase a product from their supplier at whatever cost they negotiate, and should be able to sell it at whatever price they think helps them make a profit.
OK, but... why?

With paper goods, the retailer purchases the book from the publisher and resells it. As such, they have paid for it, they're taking more risk, so if they want to lose on the deal that's their choice. With ebooks, they're more an aggregator. It's a different process, a different relationship, thus a different pricing method.

The publishers are also getting sales figures in almost real time. As such, while the retailer and publisher won't have the same incentives, the publishers can be almost as responsive to sales fluctuations as the retailers.

Also, as mentioned already, when an author or small publisher works through Smashwords or CreateSpace or a similar service, it is that author/small pub that sets the price. Same for the various App Stores, which allow publishers to set prices. How is this any different than agency pricing? It sounds exactly the same to me, except in terms of scale.

In terms of competition:

A big retailer may order 20,000 copies of a new book and demand a wholesale price of $9.00. An indie shop, on the other hand, may only need 2 copies. That results in either paying the publisher full price ($11 perhaps), or working through a distributor who in turn takes a cut.

As a result, the bigger stores can charge less for the same title -- an advantage which results in the big stores getting bigger, and the indie stores closing shop. (Which is exactly what has been going on for the last few years.) Are you sure this is good for competition?

Similarly, Walmart has enough power to "negotiate" (i.e. dictate) prices to its vendors, including major corporations, and demand excruciatingly efficient and precise delivery schedules. In doing so they can dramatically undercut other stores. Is this beneficial or anti-competitive? Or both? Or neither?

Plus, as mentioned, nothing about this prevents smaller publishers from undercutting agency publishers on price.

I do agree that in some cases prices can be too high for some buyers, but that is not a federal crime.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:38 AM   #65
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
You guys are missing the important thing here: Random House publishes the Discworld books.

Those of us in the 20th+ volumes of approx 40 books already see prices of $7.49 per book. If the go up to $10 each, that series will end up costing $400.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:27 AM   #66
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Harlequin is very digital-reader friendly. Romance readers in general have been quick to adopt digital reading and the romance presses have followed, like Samhain, Harlequin, etc. I am kind of spoiled because when I see an Agency price of $9.99-$12.99 I know I can often buy a Harlequin e-book for less than $4 (sometimes less than $2 on discount). Similar for Baen sf/fantasy.

I've stopped buying as much non-romance for my nook and started borrowing them from the library again.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:35 AM   #67
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
OK, but... why?

With paper goods, the retailer purchases the book from the publisher and resells it. As such, they have paid for it, they're taking more risk, so if they want to lose on the deal that's their choice. With ebooks, they're more an aggregator. It's a different process, a different relationship, thus a different pricing method.

The publishers are also getting sales figures in almost real time. As such, while the retailer and publisher won't have the same incentives, the publishers can be almost as responsive to sales fluctuations as the retailers.

Also, as mentioned already, when an author or small publisher works through Smashwords or CreateSpace or a similar service, it is that author/small pub that sets the price. Same for the various App Stores, which allow publishers to set prices. How is this any different than agency pricing? It sounds exactly the same to me, except in terms of scale.

In terms of competition:

A big retailer may order 20,000 copies of a new book and demand a wholesale price of $9.00. An indie shop, on the other hand, may only need 2 copies. That results in either paying the publisher full price ($11 perhaps), or working through a distributor who in turn takes a cut.

As a result, the bigger stores can charge less for the same title -- an advantage which results in the big stores getting bigger, and the indie stores closing shop. (Which is exactly what has been going on for the last few years.) Are you sure this is good for competition?

Similarly, Walmart has enough power to "negotiate" (i.e. dictate) prices to its vendors, including major corporations, and demand excruciatingly efficient and precise delivery schedules. In doing so they can dramatically undercut other stores. Is this beneficial or anti-competitive? Or both? Or neither?

Plus, as mentioned, nothing about this prevents smaller publishers from undercutting agency publishers on price.

I do agree that in some cases prices can be too high for some buyers, but that is not a federal crime.
I agree, If what we want is a direct to reader market, and we all want that right? Who do we expect to be setting the prices in the future?? A global AI that determines the best value to be had for the best Discworld novel? Perhaps, but for the foreseeable future the rights holder should be setting their own prices.

Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:48 AM   #68
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
This kind of amuses me. Look at the "Special Price" on the cover picture they choose and then look at the Kindle price.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FUNNY COVER.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	67593  
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:18 PM   #69
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
You guys are missing the important thing here: Random House publishes the Discworld books.

Those of us in the 20th+ volumes of approx 40 books already see prices of $7.49 per book. If the go up to $10 each, that series will end up costing $400.
I just checked. Fortunately my eLibrary carries the whole series.

Last edited by Angst; 03-01-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:07 PM   #70
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Who on Earth are they? I've never heard of them, I'm afraid.
They are the publishers of romance books and they bought Mills and Boon.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:17 PM   #71
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
Then buy the paper back. There are advantages to paper books, when you need or desire those advantages, just by the book.
Feel free to go tell them that over at the Amazon Discussion boards for Kindle and take joy in their inevitable response. I'm just paraphrasing the sentiments I see them express every time I visit.

Myself, I do buy plenty of paper books. But they're almost all stuff that's unavailable or would look rather bad as e-editions (I ♥ deluxe coffee table specialty reference art books). Otherwise I have a library card and I'm not afraid to use it.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:19 PM   #72
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post

Luckily I bought most of them from fictionwise during various sales... I think I paid (net) about $150 for 39 books - almost all his output. I'm only missing "The Last Hero", "Unseen Academicals", "I Shall Wear Midnight" and the Bromeliad Trilogy.

"The Last Hero" isn't available in ebook formats. I just can't bring myself to pay £6.39 for "Unseen Academicals" when the paperback is £4.18. "I Shall Wear Midnight" isn't in paperback yet, but even when it is, I fear that the Kindle price will be too high for me. For some unknown reason, only the middle volume of the Bromeliad is available as an ebook, although the trilogy is available in an omnibus paperback for £6.19 (which also means that £5.99 is the most I'm willing to pay for an omnibus ebook).

Sigh... publishers leaving money on the table.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 02:08 PM   #73
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
This kind of amuses me. Look at the "Special Price" on the cover picture they choose and then look at the Kindle price.
- too too too too funny!
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 02:19 PM   #74
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Quote:
Not justified. It's really the same thing, dealer buys stuff for resale. In this case it's licenses instead of paper, but that's it.

Quote:
... while the retailer and publisher won't have the same incentives, the publishers can be almost as responsive to sales fluctuations as the retailers.
You mean, make more ebooks, stock is running low?

Quote:
Also, as mentioned already, when an author or small publisher works through Smashwords or CreateSpace or a similar service, it is that author/small pub that sets the price. Same for the various App Stores, which allow publishers to set prices. How is this any different than agency pricing?
Of course the publisher (or author) gets to set the price, it's their book after all. It's always been that way. What's new is that not only does the publisher get to set the price, they also get to decide the retail price the customer needs to pay, which really is none of their business. For the sale from publisher to first buyer, they can ask any price they want, but they are also dictating what price they need to charge upon resale.

Can you imagine that for regular consumer goods? I can't. It's anti-competitive, and, like all monopolies, bad for the customer.

Quote:
Nobody said as much.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:33 PM   #75
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
In theory. However, the world works on facts. The publishers have already publicly stated that they want to save paper sales as much as possible. So they are actively trying to slow down ebook adoption (and according to an Amazon statement, it seems to be working for them).
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote