Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-29-2010, 12:55 PM   #1
HelenaJole
Connoisseur
HelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3
white or graphite?

I have enough money in my pay-pal account right now to buy the Wi-Fi-only K3, but I'm having a hard time convincing myself that I want graphite. Probably because the only Kindles I've seen in real life are white. Or it just seems more book-ish, maybe.

I think I might find a dark border intrusive and distracting. Somebody pointed out that in the example pictures here the white "disappears" much more than the graphite does. But then, they are on a white background, so of course the white's going to disappear.

I just keep going back and forth on this. Any thoughts?
HelenaJole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 12:56 PM   #2
Corran006
Connoisseur
Corran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle 3
Graphite for sure. Makes it appear to have even more contrast on the screen I am told.
Corran006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2010, 12:57 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I have white readers and black readers. Doesn't make one jot of difference in my experience. Buy whichever colour you like best.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 01:00 PM   #4
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
The white border distracted me more than the darker border. I was lucky I was able to compare because a friend had a K2 and also a graphite dx

I finally ordered a K3 WiFi
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 01:20 PM   #5
kathyfitz
Electronics Whore
kathyfitz doesn't litterkathyfitz doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad, iPad mini, iPhone5, Kindle3
If you are reading outdoors, one of the advantages of e-ink, you would have less glare with the graphite. That was the reason I chose it!
kathyfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2010, 04:11 PM   #6
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
I have a Graphite and my wife has a White. I think the White 3G looks better than the K2 because the bezel is smaller and my impression is that the K3 has more of a matte finish than the K2. kathyfitz has a good point, although I think that the K3 will be less of a problem than the K2, both because of the size of the bezel and the matte finish. I was actually pretty impressed with the way the White 3G looks, even more "Appley" (you have to admit that their design is really quite good).

That said, she decided on the White after searching the DecalGirl skins for about a half hour and decided that the skins she likes the most would like better on a White 3G. I still think that the Graphite looks more elegant and I'm probably not going to skin it.
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 04:21 PM   #7
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
I did read somewhere that the Graphite Kindle can get uncomfortable to hold on the casing if you are reading anywhere in hot sunshine. So that could be a consideration - but not for me in the typical UK weather
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 04:23 PM   #8
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
I had a brown skin on my Kindle 2 that made reading easier on my eyes. The graphite Kindle 3 is a real pleasure to read. It is exactly what I hoped it would be and what I've been looking for through the many versions of ereaders I've had over the years.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:51 PM   #9
ZenRunner
Enthusiast
ZenRunner has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-300
The Wi-fi only model is only available in graphite, so there's really nothing to decide.
ZenRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:14 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKindleWorm View Post
I did read somewhere that the Graphite Kindle can get uncomfortable to hold on the casing if you are reading anywhere in hot sunshine. So that could be a consideration - but not for me in the typical UK weather
It's sweltering today; it might hit 20C!
Old 08-30-2010, 04:42 AM   #11
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's sweltering today; it might hit 20C!
Then you can . . . . sit outside!
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:48 AM   #12
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've had a number of devices, and generally prefer the light coloured ones over the black because of the "disappearing" effect. The black ones have always had more of a "device" feel. I think the white Kindle 2 was designed like it was (flat and thin) to emulate a piece of paper. With the new pearl screens it will probably appear even more so. The white does make the screen appear slightly darker grey, but it's not something I've ever thought made enough difference in the appearance of contrast.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:51 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
With the new pearl screens it will probably appear even more so. The white does make the screen appear slightly darker grey, but it's not something I've ever thought made enough difference in the appearance of contrast.
Comparing my K2 and K3 side by side, the background colour of the two screens is pretty much the same. The contrast improvement is in the text - grey on the K2 compared to "real black" on the K3.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:03 AM   #14
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Comparing my K2 and K3 side by side, the background colour of the two screens is pretty much the same. The contrast improvement is in the text - grey on the K2 compared to "real black" on the K3.
That's interesting. I thought they'd made the "white" whiter, rather than the "black" darker.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:15 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
That's interesting. I thought they'd made the "white" whiter, rather than the "black" darker.
Perhaps a fraction, but there's very little difference, to my eye at least. I posted a side-by-side comparison photograph here.

Last edited by HarryT; 08-30-2010 at 05:17 AM.