Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-26-2009, 12:43 AM   #1
TedChen
TedChen began at the beginning.

Device: None
Help: Looking for Opinions on Reading Magazines Digitally

Hi all,

My name's Ted Chen, a journalism graduate student at Columbia University. We're publishing a one-time magazine on trends in digital content, out in May. I'm writing an article about how e-reading newspapers and books are getting more popular, and whether magazines (especially graphic-heavy, colorful ones) can be equally as successful.

I'm looking for iPhone (or any other e-reader) users to share experiences or opinions on reading magazines with these readers. It could be as short as two lines, or as long as you want.

I've never used one of these devices, so your insight would be much appreciated. Please post here, or e-mail me at tedkwan84@gmail.com, and we can arrange a short e-mail or 10-minute phone chat.

Thanks for reading, and hope you can help me out!

Rgds,
Ted Chen
Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism
(734)272-8426

Last edited by TedChen; 02-26-2009 at 09:18 AM.
TedChen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 01:38 AM   #2
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Reading magazines is not particularly wonderful on the iPhone (or in my case the iTouch). The screen is just too small for reading many magazines because of the multiple column format. Business magazines like newsweek and Newsweek, read well on the Kindle, but anything with a lot of photos or graphics is marginal, both because of page rescaling and the limited grey scale on the Kindle1.

Kindle2 folks may have a better experience.

Good luck on your project. Suggest you add additional tags to your post to include some of the other ereading devices such as Kindle, Sony, Illiad, etc.
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2009, 09:17 AM   #3
TedChen
TedChen began at the beginning.

Device: None
Thanks Leep,

First time posting here, so wasn't aware of the tags. Possible to send me a personal message with your name, age?

Anyone else want to help? My questions generally are:

- What magazines do you read with the device? Describe your experience (its positives and frustrations).

- For colorful and image-heavy magazines (e.g. National Geographic, US Weekly, Sports magazines etc.), how important is it to you to be able to view these images accordingly in your reader?

- If your favorite magazine (even one that you don't read digitally) stopped its print version and existed only in a digital one, would you still buy it? What would be your concerns in the shift?

Thanks,
Ted
(734)272-8426
TedChen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e-reader, iphone, kindle, magazines, sony