Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-20-2009, 09:18 PM   #1
Akumag2
Enthusiast
Akumag2 began at the beginning.

100 free ebooks

I just purchased my wife a prs505 for $15 at circuit city (Im a temp employee there and it was the floor model i snagged), I think I prefer my 500 in design but I do prefer her screen with the 8 grey scale as opposed to my 6 grey scale and I like that the new one has more inbuilt memory.

What I dont like is that I set her up her own account for her laptop on the ebook connect and she got 100 free books, as it is a separate account I cannot authorize my device and put her 100 books on my reader.

I was wondering if I deauthorize my device and then reauthorize it would it count as a new device and get me 100 books credit?

I think it sucks that Ive had the 500 since day one and I never got 100 free books.
Akumag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:21 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akumag2 View Post
I think it sucks that Ive had the 500 since day one and I never got 100 free books.
You can de-auth your reader on you account and authorize it to her's. However, then you won't be able to read any of the books from your account any more.

BTW: All of those classics are books that are in the public domain, you will find most if not all of them here in our download section free and DRM free.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2009, 05:15 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
... and the versions we have here are generally MUCH better formatted than Sony's versions, and very often have illustrations, when Sony's don't.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 05:17 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
What I dont like is that I set her up her own account for her laptop on the ebook connect and she got 100 free books, as it is a separate account I cannot authorize my device and put her 100 books on my reader.
You should have added her Reader to YOUR account. That way, the account would have received the "free books credit" (which is associated with the device, not the account) and you would have been able to share them.

If you want to share books, both Readers need to be on the same account.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:27 AM   #5
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You should have added her Reader to YOUR account. That way, the account would have received the "free books credit" (which is associated with the device, not the account) and you would have been able to share them.

If you want to share books, both Readers need to be on the same account.
Was going to say this. You can still deauthorize one the, if you want. I wouldn't do it just for the Classic books though, since you can get them here as well.

$15 or $150?
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2009, 11:17 AM   #6
Akumag2
Enthusiast

thanks for the info guys, I called Sony and they deauthorized her reader from her account and allowed me to put it on mine and seeing as she hadnt used the 100 credit yet they allowed it on my account, didnt think I'd even get through to sony let alone them be so helpful.

I'll have to browse through all the books here at some point if they are better than the Sony ones, now if only i can read quicker and finish all my star trek books before a new ones comes out I might actually be able to read something else for a change
Old 02-21-2009, 11:21 AM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
thanks for the info guys, I called Sony and they deauthorized her reader from her account and allowed me to put it on mine and seeing as she hadnt used the 100 credit yet they allowed it on my account, didnt think I'd even get through to sony let alone them be so helpful.
Good news they got you squared away. I am surprised why so many people afraid to call customer service. They are usually good at the basic accounting type stuff.

BTW how many Trek books are coming out a month now? I know I am way behind on all of the series. Check out my catalog to see which I've read. http://www.librarything.com/catalog/PilotBob

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:26 AM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
I just purchased my wife a prs505 for $15 at circuit city (Im a temp employee there and it was the floor model i snagged), I think I prefer my 500 in design but I do prefer her screen with the 8 grey scale as opposed to my 6 grey scale and I like that the new one has more inbuilt memory.

I was wondering if I deauthorize my device and then reauthorize it would it count as a new device and get me 100 books credit?

$15 !!!! I think you just redefined the definition of obscenity!

Congratulations on your great purchase - unless, of course, you made a typo?

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:16 PM   #9
Akumag2
Enthusiast

not a typo, one of the perks of working for a store that is going out of business, I know what is a floor model, an "open box" and fixture, if its a fixture you can make a bid, and no one wanted it cos they though it was busted and had no power cable.
I know though that the device was just out of charge and some of the eink was still visible, and i knew where to get a free charger & usb from!
Old 02-23-2009, 06:17 PM   #10
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
not a typo, one of the perks of working for a store that is going out of business, I know what is a floor model, an "open box" and fixture, if its a fixture you can make a bid, and no one wanted it cos they though it was busted and had no power cable.
I know though that the device was just out of charge and some of the eink was still visible, and i knew where to get a free charger & usb from!
Holy crap you got so lucky! That is a steal!!!
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:32 PM   #11
jmorton
Connoisseur
jmorton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jmorton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jmorton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jmorton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
To Akumag2: When I got my first Sony Reader (PRS-500), I downloaded a few of 100 books that came with it, but once I had discovered the mother lode of books available here at MobileRead, I didn't bother with anymore of the Sony books. As the rule, the books here are better laid out, come in a broader variety of subjects, and have fewer typos.
jmorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:04 AM   #12
Akumag2
Enthusiast

cool beans
Old 02-25-2009, 09:12 AM   #13
stevejay
Enthusiast
stevejay doesn't litterstevejay doesn't litterstevejay doesn't litter

Device: Sony 500 prs
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Holy crap you got so lucky! That is a steal!!!
Umm he deserves it, people swarmed on Circuit City like a swarm of locusts during the liquidation process. Glad you got this perk.
stevejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:34 PM   #14
Akumag2
Enthusiast

Thanks, and a customer handed me a 2GB SD card today they found on the floor, my boss said I could keep it, so now I can try manually flashing the firmware from DEMO1000 to the new version that supports ePUB, the automatic file flash will not update the demo firmware version, hopefully I wont brick it!