Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-25-2009, 06:24 AM   #1
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Why do you upload books? Why don't you?

I'd like to know why people devote their times to upload books on MR. I would also like to know why people decide not to upload them?

You see, I love reading, so I have been converting texts to e-books for a quite long time before uploading them here on MR. There are so many books out there worth to be revived, to get a new life. As I happen to have a lot of time on my hands and am very restricted in what I can do with that time, it was a natural development to devote it to something I love.

I sometimes deplore my lack of artistic talent, so my books are not the most beautiful in the world, but I guess they are handy and clear. Essentially I am glad for every new book out in the open again. Sadly, the number of different books might be a little reduced if everybody concentrates on the bestsellers leaving the rare genre jewels in the shelves of Gutenberg or Internet Archive.

There is certainly an edge of longing for personal recognition in it, too. This personal recognition, for me, lies not in the pure number of published works, but in the satisfaction I gain for myself when I have uploaded a technically good book and I see that some people like to read that book, too.

So, what motivates you?
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 06:30 AM   #2
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
I've uploaded a couple of books; but I found it very time-consuming - primarily proof-reading the text, which takes days.

I'm in awe of those who've uploaded dozens (and more!) of tomes for the rest of us.

Now, I just feedback any errors I might spot in a book, as a way of making my tiny contribution.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2009, 06:33 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I create books because:

1. It's fun to do and creatively very satisfying.

2. They are books which interest me. If other people find them of interest too, that's just a "bonus".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 06:43 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
So, what motivates you?
Partly the technical aspect. Sometimes because I want a copy as an eBook and there isn't one.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 06:54 AM   #5
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I've not uploaded any books. I've only ever created one (Chamber Music, James Joyce) which I did to practice Harry's tutorial, and because I was interested in it of course. I don't know whether it legally could be uploaded here (James Joyce died in 1941, and Chamber Music was first published in 1907), as I've not properly looked at that.

I don't create/format and upload books frankly because of time. It's not that there's not enough free, but rather that, should I put aside current distractions, there are a lot of distractions ahead of book creation/formatting and upload. Also, I have little confidence in my ability to "get it right" at the moment, and need more practice. Also, I think I'd rather prefer to work on some photographic images and make them available freely for use on other folks' ebooks (as well as create my own covers), though whether I'd ever get around to that...

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2009, 07:26 AM   #6
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
I wish I could contribute, but can't upload anything I've scanned for personal use because of copyright concerns. Also, the file type (mainly .rtf) and formatting would probably not be what people with e-ink readers are accustomed to.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:02 AM   #7
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Partly the technical aspect. Sometimes because I want a copy as an eBook and there isn't one.
Yeah, that is part of the motivation for me, too. I have to confess that I really do love those old adventure tales and most of them are not easily available in the formats I like (I personally do read in mobi or epub)
Old 01-25-2009, 08:35 AM   #8
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I started posting books a year ago when there were some I wanted to read that were missing here and I've continued that way since then. I've also added a few that people had requested specifically and I've posted a few that I simply thought would round out our collection a bit.

As to proof-reading the text before posting, that is certainly not a requirement, in my opinion. If it was, I would not be posting books here or very few. Most of us convert books because we want to read them and proof-reading the text first is a horrible punishment to have to endure before you've had the pleasure of reading it first. So I convert and post the books and then, as I'm reading or rereading them, I keep notes that I intend to use to make the corrections later. That seems only sensible to me.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:42 AM   #9
mtravellerh
book creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
As to proof-reading the text before posting, that is certainly not a requirement, in my opinion. If it was, I would not be posting books here or very few. Most of us convert books because we want to read them and proof-reading the text first is a horrible punishment to have to endure before you've had the pleasure of reading it first. So I convert and post the books and then, as I'm reading or rereading them, I keep notes that I intend to use to make the corrections later. That seems only sensible to me.
I agree. I do proof reading for Project Gutenberg Germany, but the books I convert are mostly pretty thoroughly proof read already.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:58 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That's what I do - create the book, fixing any errors I spot at the time, obviously, then, when I read the book, I mark the errors as I'm reading and, when I've finished the book, correct it and re-post.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:26 AM   #11
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
I don't upload any books, largely because I cannot hope to match some of the excellent uploaders we have here.
I restrict myself to personal interest articles, that I prefer to read on my reader than a PC screen, and I can't upload here for copyright reasons, .

Hopefully some of the books I help proof on PG eventually find there way here to MR, so I count that as my own contribution to the e-reading community.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:13 AM   #12
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
I have always loved reading. I have conquered the world with Genghis Kahn and stood on the raging deck with Horatio Hornblower. On some of the postings I had in 30 years of Army service it was either read or drink in whatever down time was available. Tried both and settled on reading (mostly).

I discovered eBooks several years ago and began reading on a laptop. I eventually acquired a PDA - HP RX5915 - and things got better and easier. I became disgusted with the commercial sites and began rolling my own using a straight HTML editor. I then discovered MR and Book Designer. Starting with Harry's tutorial, things were uncontrolled from there.

After retirement from the Army, I spent almost twenty years as a software designer and programmer as a government contractor on various weapon systems. This was constituted of capturing digital data streams and telemetry, converting to English and engineering units and displaying data on a PC in various operating systems to include windows. I also created simulations of weapon systems in windows.

The reason for the previous rambling is that I am imbued with the military standard for display, ease of use, recovery, and obviousness of operation. I sometimes ask what may be considered to be dumb questions and irritate some developers and users. I guess I would like to see a standard for eBook tools as well as for the eBooks themselves.

At 72 years, I guess I will not change. I love the process of creating eBooks and am willing to make them available to others. I sit in my easy chair with the laptop on a small table which slides over my lap and the search for books, covers, or create covers in GIMP, and then construct the eBook with either music or the TV in the background.It has become my daily adventure. It has become an obsession as well as a hobby.

MR is the first forum I have used in any detail. Learning the INs and OUTs and protocols has been an adventure in itself. My books have improved over time and there are many forum users to point out any shortcomings.

So, thats why I make eBooks and post them. If I can do it anyone can. The only real problem is posting a book that someone has already posted.

Get with the program, and post. If you need help, just holler!
Charlie

P.S. I have finally converted my wife. Although she has not givenup pBooks, she loves her Kindle. People OOH and AH wnen she uses it in public. A litle progress.

Last edited by crutledge; 01-25-2009 at 10:31 AM.
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:34 AM   #13
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
I'd like to know why people devote their times to upload books on MR. I would also like to know why people decide not to upload them?
Because I don't know how, and I can't figure out the

instructions in the WIKI!!!

But don't give up on me quite yet. You have a 'unknown saint' here.........Leep. She has helped me (and others) figure out Kindlfix and mobidedrm.

She has guided me thru many computer problems I never thought I could solve. She's made me feel like I"m capable of learning any process, and my next project is learning Mobipocket Creator. Its not as intuitive as some of you might think!

I'm still so new at this e-book stuff, and I want to learn to upload books you'll all be proud to have on your readers, not like some of the crap you see on Amazon and other sites.

I appreciate each and every one of you who upload books for all of us. You do an amazing job, so give yourselves a pat on the back!

Love, desertgrandma
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:42 AM   #14
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
I don't upload any books, largely because I cannot hope to match some of the excellent uploaders we have here.
That has never stopped me. There are lots of books here that are not perfect and I readily admit that many are mine. But, in my opinion, it's better to have a readable but imperfect version of an ebook than none at all.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:48 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
That has never stopped me. There are lots of books here that are not perfect and I readily admit that many are mine. But, in my opinion, it's better to have a readable but imperfect version of an ebook than none at all.
Precisely. And how can one improve except by practice? There's no comparison between the books I was creating 18 months ago and those I'm creating today, but the only way to improve is through practical experience.