Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-19-2008, 07:07 PM   #1
Shadowplay
Groupie
Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
E-Book blues :(

I'm still absolutely loving my Sony 505, but I seem to have found a point of frustration... depression, I dunno, over the whole thing.

No one around me seems to really *care* about the thing.

The best I've gotten are comments along the lines of, "huh that's pretty cool," followed by a change of subject - and that's the *best* I've gotten. More often I get things like, "how much did you pay?! why the hell would you do that instead of just picking up a book? Who cares if it holds a whole library, it's not like you need all those at the same time."

/sigh

I'm just venting and certainly not looking for some "solution" to really a non-issue. I figured people here would understand my plight.
Shadowplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:19 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
if it's any consolation, i think e-ink is *brilliant.*
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2008, 07:31 PM   #3
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Heathens! Its not about what you need, it is that you can

Seriously, I've ran into people who've asked me the same thing at times.

And unfortunately, I'm the only one in my group of friend who actually enjoys reading. So I can fully sympathise with you, in trying to explain the utility of a library in you pocket to people whose idea of reading (in my case) consists of facebook.

My Answer? (whatever good it does)

I read 3 to 4 pages a minute. So I end up finishing most books in a couple of hours.

I used to around 3 to 4 books in my backpack daily, so that I would have something to read on my downtime.

So If I can carry around a small library with me in my pocket, I can read whatever I'm in the mood to read whenever I want.

And don't ask about International flights. On 20 hour journeys, I've carried 8 to 10 books a few times. .

Still, with E-book readers, seeing is believing, and most people don't get it until they actually sit down and use it.

A good example of this is my mom. While she barely uses a computer , once i explained the concept of the reader, and showed her how to use it, she fell in love with it.

Now I can't get it away for her even if I wanted to. And when I do need it so I can load some new books for her, she will be waiting so that she can get back to her reading. And she does enjoy the utility of being able to several books at the same time.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:32 PM   #4
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Yes, there- there. Earth wuvs you t h i s much. (Anyone, anyone?)

I have had two wonderful reactions, both of which involved pretty waitresses scooching in next to me to have a demo. Yes, I have a thing for pretty waitresses. They are pretty. They bring you food. What's not to love? And if you've never had the pleasure of having one scooch, then brother you haven't lived.

Perhaps you're reading in the wrong places. (Hint: look for pretty waitresses.)

Last edited by Taylor514ce; 05-19-2008 at 07:39 PM.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:34 PM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

for a mind as large as yours, you really don't seem to have very many tracks...
Advert
Old 05-19-2008, 07:34 PM   #6
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster
revfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-650, Apple iPad 3 64GB Wifi
"Never underestimate the power of human stupidity." -Robert A. Heinlein

"'We got ourselves a reader. What are you reading for?' Not what are you reading but what are your reading for? So I don't become a f***ing Waffle House waitress." -Bill Hicks

"You might be able to make something completely foolproof but nothing is idiot-proof." -Spider Robinson

People have a tendency to overlook the amazing things they encounter in their lives and just move on to the next thing. Because it doesn't have full color touchscreen with 5 TB of memory, they refuse to be impressed. One person couldn't believe that it doesn't read the book to you, as in converting a text file to an audio file. Well, it is called a Reader, isn't it? Why doesn't it read then?

It all falls back on that first quote, or to simplify it more, the majority of people you encounter in life will probably have a lower intelligence than the people on here, by default. I have found that readers tend to be more intelligent and have the ability to hold an intelligent conversation. Then again, that may just be the people I have encountered.

Last edited by revfish; 05-19-2008 at 07:37 PM.
revfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:37 PM   #7
zelda_pinwheel

lesser-known advantages : good for chatting up purposes, as evidenced by Taylor's contribution and revfish, who is clearly trying to butter us all up collectively. you do feel smarter now, at the *very* least, right ?
Old 05-19-2008, 07:38 PM   #8
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
for a mind as large as yours, you really don't seem to have very many tracks...
You misunderstand me. There are a vast number of tracks. At some point, though, they all run through the same ah... tunnel.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:38 PM   #9
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by revfish View Post
"Never underestimate the power of human stupidity." -Robert A. Heinlein

It all falls back on that first quote, or to simplify it more, the majority of people you encounter in life will probably have a lower intelligence than the people on here, by default. I have found that readers tend to be more intelligent and have the ability to hold an intelligent conversation. Then again, that may just be the people I have encountered.
Here, Here !

It does tend to be self selecting group at times.

And that my friend, is the power of the INTERNET.

<Runs away in furry underwear shouting BY THE POWER OF THE INTERWEBS>
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:40 PM   #10
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
You misunderstand me. There are a vast number of tracks. At some point, though, they all run through the same ah... tunnel.
hmm... for some reason Cary Grant and Eva Marie Saint just popped into my head...
Old 05-19-2008, 07:57 PM   #11
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
Disheartening aint it.

I encounter it too from people who willingly splash out on Plasma TVs, state-of-the-art surround sound hi-fi and other luxuries. Others who spend a large part of their income on gambling and drinking.

On holiday a few years ago I was having dinner with eleven other holiday makers. The discussion turned to reading and each and every one of those 11 guests proclaimed that reading was a waste of time. I tried to defend my great passion but the tide against me was too great -- plus they shouted louder than me.

Do these non-readers lose their comprehension skills so they don't know what they're missing?

I am glad my daughter is a bookworm and takes after me in this respect.
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:27 PM   #12
Rocketime
Zealot
Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle/Nook Color/NST/Acer Iconica
You've got to be kidding me right? I get so many "what is that" it's making me ill. When I drop what I'm reading and explain it to them, they ask "where can I get such a wonderful device"?

I have not had one person question what I paid for it but "where can I get one"?

It is a spectacular device and most people with half a brain want one. I write off the rest as jeolous and unknowing.

To have such a wealth of entertainment at your finger tips is brilliant. You are not the one to question your purchase, you are the one to celebrate such a marvel of technology. Rejoice in your decision to splurge in the reading world for you are the one to be prasied for such an intelluctual decison.
Rocketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:57 PM   #13
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
likely many of those people don't read books at all
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:16 PM   #14
charlieperry
Connoisseur
charlieperry doesn't littercharlieperry doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 505
Slightly losing faith in my PRS 505 myself. I still read it everyday and have no real complaints about the device. I'm just not sure it's any easier than going to a bookshop every once in a while. Now if it had internet connectivity like the iPhone then that would be another story.
charlieperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:21 PM   #15
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

Stone him! STONE HIM!

Actually, I'm at my bookstore about twice a week anyway. I'm bi-formatual.