Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-19-2014, 03:49 AM   #271
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Pandora is raising it's fees from $4 to $5 per month and dropping the $36 annual subscription. This is due to rising royalties. Still waiting to see what Amazon brings to the table for streaming music.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:45 AM   #272
Sregener
Addict
Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4NT
Well, I caved and renewed my Prime subscription. Came time to buy birthday presents, and in order to get them on time, I would have paid nearly $40 in shipping. So in one order, I paid for half the year, and I get all the other Prime benefits as well.
Sregener is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2014, 07:34 AM   #273
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
KMART is doing their own two day shipping program at $39 a year.
(With execeptions for big or heavy products.)
http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/SywMaxLan...2&ruid=2003063

That sort-of values the non-shipping perks of Prime at $60 a year.
(Which oddly enough, is the retail value of the free Amazon First ebooks.)

If you want to decontruct Prime pricing, that's one benchmark to add to Netflix pricing...

Edit: SEARS is also pushing MAX. No shock.

Last edited by fjtorres; 03-21-2014 at 09:16 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:00 AM   #274
gal_amy
Connoisseur
gal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: iPad 9.7, iPad 10.5, Kindle HDX, iPhone6, iPhone7, Oasis2
My prime is expiring next month.

Anything prime is still free shipping if it goes over $35?
gal_amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:49 AM   #275
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by gal_amy View Post

If I understand your question right, yes. There are things on Amazon that are not on the free shipping program and those won't count to the 35. But in general if it's in prime it also qualifies towards the 35. If there is a particular item you want to know about and I'm in the right country, I can look it up for you. Or some people log out and look or look from a different computer when not signed in.

I used the free shipping with 25 for years. 35 is a bit more difficult to hit and with it in place I am finding things are cheaper to buy elsewhere. I haven't bought anything other than kindle books since 35 started (and I have a subscription for walnut oil--that doesn't have to hit 35). I did cancel two other subs because the price for them went up past where it made sense.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2014, 09:16 AM   #276
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I got Prime last Nov for the video and Black Friday sales. It'll get me through this year's Black Friday sales, then I'll cancel it. Then the following year, I may repeat that process - 1 year of Prime to last 2 years of Black Friday sales.

Of course I may change my mind if Amazon offers radio streaming with no ads and unlimited skips; and/or an Android video app.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:00 PM   #277
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
and/or an Android video app.
It's pretty trivial to get Amazon video on most any Android device. Works fine, and doesn't even seem kludgey.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:47 PM   #278
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
It's pretty trivial to get Amazon video on most any Android device. Works fine, and doesn't even seem kludgey.
I use this as well and it works great.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 01:20 PM   #279
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Already have Amazon video on my Nexus 7.2, but an app is easier to deal with.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:31 PM   #280
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Already have Amazon video on my Nexus 7.2, but an app is easier to deal with.
It's possible they could come up with a truly awful app....
Old 03-29-2014, 09:28 PM   #281
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
It works, but doesn't work all that well quality wise in my experience especially compared to the Fire or iOS app.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:04 PM   #282
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
It works, but doesn't work all that well quality wise in my experience especially compared to the Fire or iOS app.
I'll take your word for it. I can't tell them apart, but to my eyes, on our 8" and smaller screens, medium-bandwidth SD looks the same as high-bandwidth HD, as long as the motion is smooth and the audio is in sync.

Last edited by ApK; 03-29-2014 at 10:07 PM.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:36 PM   #283
TheMatrix
Enthusiast
TheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with others

Device: Kobo Mini, Ipad 2
Not just going up to $99, but its $99+tax. At least for us here in California.
TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:41 PM   #284
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
They didn't charge tax on the $79 version in California?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:19 AM   #285
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness
rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0,Asus TF700T, K1-2-3-Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by gal_amy View Post

Not sure what you are asking here. If you have PRIME here in the US anything that is not an add-on ships free 2-day with Prime no matter what the order total. There is no minimum total for free shipping to Prime members.

Now there is the free shipping for non-prime members. They have to hit a minimum order total for the free shipping to apply.

I don't like this price increase either, especially when combined with the sales tax detail but I still save so much time shopping with Amazon it's well worth it, to me. It also has not helped that Amazon is no longer even trying to be competitive on pricing items sold by Amazon. It seems they have been bumping prices slowly to cover shipping costs.

If anything we Prime members should be cranky over the fact non-members continue to receive free shipping. Perhaps raising that minimum order for free shipping will help a bit but the markup on that added $10 can't be more than a couple bucks so I don't see how it actually helps anything. Only upping prices on Prime eligible items will cover shipping increases.

I wanted to clear that up as there is a bit of mis-information being passed around, as usual one the web by the chicken-littles. I don't know why Prime shipping confuses people so much, it's not "rocket surgery" after all but Amazon has found a way to confuse people it seems.

I actually think Amazon is at a crossroads with their retail sales, at least here in the US. Unless they do something like buy UPS or some other parcel delivery service...and don't think the can't or won't. I suspected DHL had enough infrastructure but maybe not. Despite the overhead of doing so I do think Amazon has to be pondering their own parcel delivery company. It's a service the could offer to ALL Amazon sellers no matter their location. Now there would be a huge advantage over the competition which nobody could match. It sure could shake things up as if it was their own company UPS would take a HUGE hit on the balance sheets almost overnight. Heck it might even make UPS try and provide friendly and reasonable service...
rkw is offline   Reply With Quote