Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-17-2013, 09:49 AM   #1
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Editing your manuscript...

So I finished my fifth book recently and gave it to my wife for editing. Understand I gave her a PERFECT work of art. There were no errors in it at all! (as you all know from reading my posts, I am the model of excellent English) She then brutalized the document till the virtual paper bleed out all over the virtual desk with virtual red ink.

So fine, now the doc should be good, so we ship it off to our professional editor.. who spends less ten 1/50th of the time that it took me to write the first draft and again brutalizes it. After awl, we awl knowe I tipe purfectley and awl editors due is incert missteaks of coarse!

Anyways... it just amazes me because I honestly do not turn over my document to my wife for editing until I am sure there are no mistakes in it. I mean it, I read it over and over until I make a pass with out touching anything, but still they (my wife and the editor) find stuff on every freaking line.

The people that say they can edit their own work baffle me. I am not calling them liars, or anything, just saying it is not something that I could ever understand pulling off. It be kind of like asking a crab to fly to the moon I think.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:55 PM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
...don't you mean 'bled' out?

She may be your best editor - ever!

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Check out Swimming Naked in a Pool Full of Wolverines: Learn to Perfectly Self-Edit by Actualizing Your Inner Masochist

I believe that one is filed next to D.I.Y. Dentistry in most libraries, if you're having trouble finding it.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:36 AM   #4
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I conspire with you Vincent.

I think some writers are better at it than others. I'm not bad, but I've been know to find errors years later is work I've published. It's so easy to read what you think is there rather than what is actually there.

The best thing is to be able to put it aside for a significant time and come back to it. Also editing in a different form -- e.g. on Paper vs on Screen or On Kindle instead of in the word processor can help bring out the dead ... ummm the errors....
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:06 AM   #5
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
You know those cool word illusions where it's hard to spot the repeated word?

Sometimes the position of a word on a page or in a sentence can affect the brain's efficiency at spotting typos. For that reason, it's sometimes helpful to switch to a different font before proofreading. It puts all the words in different places, and makes certain problems easier to spot.

I have a friend who reads manuscripts backwards one sentence at a time when typo-checking. Apparently it helps her brain disconnect from the running narrative so it can concentrate on the grammatical structure of individual sentences. I know other people who strongly advocate reading the text aloud.

None of which will substitute for getting a qualified second pair of eyes to read through the text, of course.
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2013, 09:09 AM   #6
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

the....the....the.....that's interesting...
Old 10-18-2013, 09:29 AM   #7
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Oh the BEST thing for me is to have the computer read the text to me. It will not help with its vs it's of course but it catches so many other things , esply missing or double little words.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:12 AM   #8
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
And besides typos, some of which have haunted my text past many readers, there are also things that you (the writer) may never pick up. My recent thread about "lounge" was a surprising revelation to me. I've also had various more esoteric grammatical items detected by a very kind reader who knows more of these things than I do. I do reserve the right to ignore some of these items, sometimes how it reads is more important to me than being strictly correct - I think prose in fiction is allowed to be a little poetic (while avoiding clichés, or being excessively trite or obscure) - but a knowledgeable reviewer/editor can help you pick the places where this is acceptable.

Having the computer read aloud to me has been very helpful, not only with doubled, swapped or wrong words, but also highlighting sentences that run on too long for clarity, and sometimes a lack of logical flow of a paragraph will stand out this way too.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:38 AM   #9
kennyc

Yes, cultural and language variations...

I've been wrestling with one aspect of my current project all because of poetic license. In particular a poem and section of one of my poetry books is called "Brown Dirt Boy" and I've used that in the subtitle of my current non-fiction work. "True Stories of a Brown Dirt Boy" and see here's the delimma the dirt of our farm was not really brown it was black but 'Black Dirt Boy' just doesn't have the same ring to me. I've considered, am still considering I guess, of whether to point this out in the introduction or to just simply ignore it. It wouldn't matter if I did not in the text specifically mention 'black dirt farm' etc.....

I'm thinking to just 'teach the controversy'
Old 10-18-2013, 12:23 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Yes, cultural and language variations...

I've been wrestling with one aspect of my current project all because of poetic license. In particular a poem and section of one of my poetry books is called "Brown Dirt Boy" and I've used that in the subtitle of my current non-fiction work. "True Stories of a Brown Dirt Boy" and see here's the delimma the dirt of our farm was not really brown it was black but 'Black Dirt Boy' just doesn't have the same ring to me. I've considered, am still considering I guess, of whether to point this out in the introduction or to just simply ignore it. It wouldn't matter if I did not in the text specifically mention 'black dirt farm' etc.....

I'm thinking to just 'teach the controversy'
Bear in mind also that almost no speaker of British English will understand your meaning. In British English, "dirt" is simply something that's, well, dirty. What you call "dirt", we call "soil".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:47 PM   #11
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Bear in mind also that almost no speaker of British English will understand your meaning. In British English, "dirt" is simply something that's, well, dirty. What you call "dirt", we call "soil".
There you go Earle, perfect example.

P.S. you guys probably think a boot is something to do with a car too....

Last edited by kennyc; 10-18-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:42 PM   #12
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
There you go Earle, perfect example.

P.S. you guys probably think a boot is something to do with a car too....
Everyone knows a boot is Canadian for about. c'mon.

rjb
arjaybe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #13
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
I read a guide to self editing for authors a while ago, it was full of typos.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:31 PM   #14
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Way back when I was using real UNIX to do documentation I became a big fan of the "Writer's Workbench" kit of small programs. You can still find many of them for Linux distros like Ubuntu, but many have to be run from a terminal window. They do include a small program that checks for "double" words -- like "the the."

Right now there's just no way I could afford an editor (I'm trying to save up my sales revenue for a latte at Starbucks), and my wife hates science fiction, etc.

Last edited by cromag; 10-18-2013 at 05:34 PM.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:01 AM   #15
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
I read a guide to self editing for authors a while ago, it was full of typos.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote