Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-15-2013, 01:27 PM   #1
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Lightbulb Nook HD/HD+ Firmware Update 2.1.1 released

Just a heads up to let folks know that there is an update rolling through for the HD. The main fixes seem to involve a comic book reader and Google Play Music, from what I've read.

From the FAQ:

Quote:
The ver2.1.1 update is available over the coming weeks as an automatic download that will roll out to registered NOOK HD devices connected to Wi-Fi (Wi-Fi should be turned ON and connected to a hotspot, and the device should be left in sleep mode). Or to get the software update right now, be sure you are connected to a Wi-Fi hotspot, tap the Settings icon in the Status bar at the top of your screen, tap on All Settings, then tap on Device Information, and check to see that your Software version matches the number at the top of this page. If it does not, tap on Software version and then tap on the Check for updates button. Follow any on-screen instructions. Do not turn off your device while it is downloading or installing a software update.
The same applies to the NOOK HD Plus.

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 08-15-2013 at 02:37 PM. Reason: moved to the frontpage
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:50 PM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
We got ours the other day. Is the HD+ getting it, too? I haven't checked mine to see if it did.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2013, 02:17 PM   #3
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Yes, both the HD and the HD+ gets it.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:43 PM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
HD Plus owners, in case the automated update doesn't work for you, here is the link for your Nook edition (courtesy of XDA devs):

http://su.barnesandnoble.com/nook/no...1_1_update.npk

Copy via USB into the root path of the Nook's internal memory, then unplug USB and wait. The device should automatically detect the update.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:35 PM   #5
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
My HD will download the update over wifi, but not install, does anyone have any idea why? I have a launcher and an SD card installed but the underlying software is still Nook.

Edited to say that I took the SD card out and the update downloaded and installed straight away. So even though the SD card was just additional storage it obviously affected the update installation. Just in case anyone else has a similar issue.

Last edited by Josieb1; 08-15-2013 at 04:46 PM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2013, 11:39 PM   #6
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I have an SD card in my HD and the update downloaded and installed automatically without a problem, though it did seem to reboot itself twice, and went through a sequence where it "optimized" each of my apps.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:13 AM   #7
gweeks
Fanatic
gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket, Nook ST, Kobo WiFi, Kindle PW
I checked on my HD+ when I got home last night. It had apparently updated itself without any problems. I have an SD card in it. The comic book reader doesn't seem to like comic book files with bilevel pngs in them. The jpgs show up ok, but the pngs are all black. They display fine with a different reader.

Greg
gweeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:27 AM   #8
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I can only state that I spent an hour trying to download and install the update last night, the download was fine but the install wouldn't happen. I even downloaded it on my PC and copied it into the drive manually and still nothing happened. The moment I took my SD card out the update downloaded and installed immediately, in minutes.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:48 PM   #9
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Thanks for the tip. I sadly haven't hardly used my HD+ since the Nexus 7 arrived. The screen quality is just so much better on the Nexus that I haven't been able to put it down.

I may have to play with rooting the HD, having pure Android is very much to my liking!
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:06 AM   #10
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
I may have to play with rooting the HD, having pure Android is very much to my liking!
It certainly opens up a lot new possibilities.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:15 AM   #11
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
Thanks for the tip. I sadly haven't hardly used my HD+ since the Nexus 7 arrived. The screen quality is just so much better on the Nexus that I haven't been able to put it down.

Oh now, surely you jest....I hope I never seen one of those new Nexus' in person, stay back, temptation! I got my HD as a reading tablet....I most certainly do not need another tablet, neither Nexus, nor Kindle, nor any other juicy tidbit that tries to tempt me! The Nook HD is excellent!
Old 08-17-2013, 10:54 AM   #12
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Oh now, surely you jest....I hope I never seen one of those new Nexus' in person, stay back, temptation! I got my HD as a reading tablet....I most certainly do not need another tablet, neither Nexus, nor Kindle, nor any other juicy tidbit that tries to tempt me! The Nook HD is excellent!
You better go into hibernation then since the leaked rumored specs for new Kindle Fire will have many pulling the trigger if it pans out.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:44 AM   #13
magicmonster
Groupie
magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color, & Dell Axim X50v
Not notification of update occurred the click the learn more an it took me to the page to puchase the device.... clicking on support link at the bottom gave lots of faq but nothing on update. Major fail!
magicmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:19 PM   #14
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
You better go into hibernation then since the leaked rumored specs for new Kindle Fire will have many pulling the trigger if it pans out.
I know it. But I am not really interested in another Fire, no matter the specs. I want a more open experience. I wouldn't have bought the Nooks if they hadn't added the Play store, even with the lowered price.

And that reminds me....the Nook is better due to the SD card slot! So there!

ETA from the leaked specs, the newest Kindle Fire HD 7" has the same resolution as the newest Nexus 7. I wonder if they will have a better UI on the new Fire. (Still don't want one).

Last edited by booklover6; 08-18-2013 at 11:40 AM.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:24 AM   #15
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
SD card makes all the difference for me and that is where my HD+ excels for me at least for the near future. I'll have to be looking for a new one maybe next year, but an SD card will still be a deal breaker for me.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote