Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-11-2013, 07:35 PM   #1
Nicko
Groupie
Nicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Paperwhite3
OverDrive

This being my first attempt downloading ebooks from the Library. I understand that I have to have OverDrive installed on my PRS-T1. I used the horrible Browser to undertake this. How can I check if the download has been successful?. Is it possible to install OverDrive on my PC then move ebooks to the T1?. Any advice will be welcome. Thanks.
Nicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:37 PM   #2
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
HUH??? You don't install Overdrive on your T1. Connect to the internet, click on the Library button, find your Library, sign in, find book, download your book. Done.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2013, 09:26 PM   #3
Nicko
Groupie
Nicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
HUH??? You don't install Overdrive on your T1. Connect to the internet, click on the Library button, find your Library, sign in, find book, download your book. Done.
I am confused. This appeared in our local paper, "In order to issue an eBook you need to have a library card and download the OverDrive software into your tablet, iPad, mobile device or PC". Adobe software is also needed.??
Old 04-11-2013, 09:35 PM   #4
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That doesn't apply to the Sony T1 device. To those others listed, yes it does but the Sony reader is not an iPad, tablet, mobile device (aka Smart Phone) or a PC. Have you registered your Sony & bought books through the Sony Store on the device? If so, you should be good to go. Buying your first book through the Sony Store on the device makes you register to Adobe Digital Editions.

Click on the Library link, find your library, it's a good idea to save it as a favorite by clicking on the heart icon, enter your library card number and password and then find your book.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:39 PM   #5
Nicko
Groupie

Thanks for your help. I understand now that you have cleared that up for me. Cheers.
Advert
Old 04-11-2013, 09:39 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko View Post
I am confused. This appeared in our local paper, "In order to issue an eBook you need to have a library card and download the OverDrive software into your tablet, iPad, mobile device or PC". Adobe software is also needed.??
The Overdrive app is for iPad/Phone/Pod and Android devices. The PC app is for audiobooks, it does nothing with ebooks. If you want to download ebooks to your PC to transfer them to your T1 instead of using the T1's built in library feature then you need Adobe Digital Editions (or the Sony desktop software) in order to download the books due to the DRM used.

Using the built in feature...
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:58 PM   #7
Nicko
Groupie

Thanks. That video is helpful, however, I do not have a "Public Library" button on my T1
which would have been good to have.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:32 AM   #8
thomasn75
Groupie
thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o v2, kobo Aura, sony prs t1
What country Are you in
thomasn75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:17 PM   #9
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!

Quote:
Thanks. That video is helpful, however, I do not have a "Public Library" button on my T1
which would have been good to have.
Click on the Home Button, now touch the right arrow at the bottom of the screen. It'll take you to the second page and the Library Button is at the top left of the screen. That's standard on all the T1 devices. Did you buy yours new? Has it been rooted or anything like that?
Old 04-12-2013, 06:41 PM   #10
Nicko
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
Click on the Home Button, now touch the right arrow at the bottom of the screen. It'll take you to the second page and the Library Button is at the top left of the screen. That's standard on all the T1 devices. Did you buy yours new? Has it been rooted or anything like that?
My T1 was bought new in NZ and it does not have the Library Button. Perhaps this is only on the models purchased in the USA?. It has not been rooted either.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:10 PM   #11
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
My T1 was bought new in NZ and it does not have the Library Button. Perhaps this is only on the models purchased in the USA?. It has not been rooted either.
Hi Nicko, I'm in NZ too and as you have found readers here have the web browsing button where others have the library one. I haven't bothered getting any books from our library as the selection is poorer than my own :-). But in case no one else comes along with the exact and tried answer on this rainy day, when I was sussing out how to do it some time back as far as I know you just go to your library web page and head for the ebook section, save that as a bookmark in your reader's browser for future use, log in and away you go.

Alternatively, and I think may be the best, go to http://www.sonysearch.overdrive.com/ in the readers browser, click Discover More Here, Browse for Libraries, NZ, your library and that will take you to a page in your library's web site to log in and start loading your cart for checkouts. Save as a bookmark in the reader's browser. EDIT: Just played with this and if one bookmarks the above sonysearch.overdrive link one appears to get a button in ones list of web bookmarks that looks just like the Library button others have pointed to in their Settings. Just mention that out of interest, as, obviously, is more useful to just bookmark your library's ebook page.

As has been mentioned, you don't need Overdrive on the Sony reader.

Let me know how you get on, I might be prompted to update my old library card which has not been used for around 15 years :-).

John

Last edited by AnotherCat; 04-12-2013 at 08:25 PM.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:27 PM   #12
Nicko
Groupie

Thanks John, I will give it a go next week as the local library are doing an upgrade of some sort and won't be back online until then. I have had my T1 since they became available and haven't bothered about the ebooks from the library but thought I would give it a go sometime. The OverDrive had me bluffed but I have been put right on that aspect of the procedure. Cheers. Pat. (That sonysearch link didn't work)

Last edited by Nicko; 04-12-2013 at 08:36 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:38 PM   #13
thomasn75
Groupie
thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o v2, kobo Aura, sony prs t1
I'm in the UK and have library button and have used it often
thomasn75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:37 PM   #14
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
I'm in America but I've found that I can use the Browse for Libraries feature to browse libraries from Australia to Great Britain. Although I can't check out any books most libraries offer free samples of books which is a neat feature.
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:40 PM   #15
Nicko
Groupie

The link http://www.sonysearch.overdrive.com/ doesn't work for me. Anyone know what the correct address is?.