Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-10-2012, 08:44 PM   #31
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
My wife is 100% Italian. All of her grandparents were born in Italy. If the boat had been slower her father would not have been born here either.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:36 AM   #32
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
My wife is 100% Italian. All of her grandparents were born in Italy. If the boat had been slower her father would not have been born here either.
Apache
My Rome-mate is 100% Italian, too (though, strangely, she's also 100% Flemish -- apparently, she has rather strong genes). Everything is fine until you say something personal which could be construed in two ways and her body is quietly taken over by Joe Pesci.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 10-16-2012 at 09:54 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2012, 10:30 AM   #33
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
My girlfriend is 100% Italian, too (though, strangely, she's also 100% Flemish -- apparently, she has rather strong genes). Everything is fine until you say something personal which could be construed in two ways and her body is quietly taken over by Joe Pesci.

Tell me about it. At least mine does not throw things any more.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:56 PM   #34
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Interesting thread.

So... apparently I have a mild(?) form of Dysnumeria. I always mix the places of 6 and 3 in large numbers, less frequent with other digits. What I usually do to remember numbers correctly is either remember each digit as a word, or group the digits and then make associations between the digits of each group. The first one makes it easier to remember numbers but it's only useful if I only talk in one language because I remember it like a short song that plays in my head and I can't just translate it into other languages because the words for the numbers don't have the same number of syllables. The second one is like doing a logic exercise: you have a number with 10 digits, the fifth and the eight are 3's which are flowed by even numbers...

I would like to say some things about reading handwritten and typed text. When I was about 4 I was seeing cursive writing like a cursive mmmmmmmmmmmmm, with the occasional stick going up or down. But then I learned how to write at about the same time as I learned how to read, and I learned how to read both handwritten and typed text at the same time as well, because I needed to make some associations between how the letters are formed and what they look like, and what the typed ones look like. Initially I couldn't differentiate between typed b, d, p and q, but I would make the hand movements like handwriting them in the air and see which handwritten form matched best the typed shape that I was seeing. I was lucky that I did this before starting school.

About the "gravity" of the dyslexic font, maybe it's not necessary for only the bottom part to be thicker. If you write with a fountain pen, depending on the nib and how you hold it, you can have sided of the letters thicker. That does make the letters easier to read.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:08 AM   #35
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by readerbeagle View Post
What your wife has is possibly dysgraphia. It can be combined with dyslexia. In essence it is terrible handwriting no matter how hard the person/child tries. Both my boys have dysgraphia and reverse letters and create a horrible chicken scratch. Noticed a strong correlation with males in our family Grandfather, Uncle and 2 grandsons - daughters etc. are fine and one can actually do calligraphy very well. There is also a strong correlation between bright/gifted people and dysgraphia. You can often get a time extenton for writing exams if they are to be handwritten via spec ed dept at most Universities.

Typing and the watershed of 1995 w affordable computers has changed a lot for dysgraphics and it is very interesting to hear of this new font.
My son has a very severe form of dysgraphia. In addition to the problems with his handwriting, typing is also an issue. There is a strong disconnect between his brain and his hands. He can read a book, or listen to a lecture, or watch a movie, and tell it back to you in conversation, but if you ask him to write it down, whether with a pencil or a keyboard, it is almost impossible. The only thing that has helped is good speech recognition software, or scribing to a person who then writes down what he is saying.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2012, 11:41 PM   #36
Kaylee Skylyn
Enthusiast
Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android phone, Kobo Aura, Sony PRS 350
Very interesting.

I do find the font appealing on the small screen capture they show in the article. I do find it easier to read. I don't think I am dyslexic but I don't have much trouble reading backwards and when I read "Dyslexics of the world, untie!" It was "unite" in my head and wasn't until the third read over that I noticed it was actually "untie". (but I blame this on bad eyesight and no glasses growing up...I had to guess at what was written on the chalkboard so made a lot of assumptions about what 'should' come next...although dad also has trouble reading...)
Kaylee Skylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:06 AM   #37
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
That t-shirt works not because everyone is dyslexic but because they expect unite and so that is what they see. I have had to explain that it says untie.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:25 PM   #38
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
Interesting thread.

So... apparently I have a mild(?) form of Dysnumeria. I always mix the places of 6 and 3 in large numbers, less frequent with other digits. What I usually do to remember numbers correctly is either remember each digit as a word, or group the digits and then make associations between the digits of each group. The first one makes it easier to remember numbers but it's only useful if I only talk in one language because I remember it like a short song that plays in my head and I can't just translate it into other languages because the words for the numbers don't have the same number of syllables. The second one is like doing a logic exercise: you have a number with 10 digits, the fifth and the eight are 3's which are flowed by even numbers...
I've always wondered if I may have something like that. I tend to flip digits in my head, but when I speak it. I'll read a number, it gets sorted properly, try and speak it, and then the flipping happens. When I break it down into groups of 2 or 3, it seems to not be so bad. For instance, last night, I was having to read off a lot of numbers, such as my bank account number, routing number, social security number, to my wife as we switch some billing things around (just got married, so she's doing the name change stuff). On the things that I remembered in three digit chunks, or forced myself to say in 3 digit chunks, I was able to do fine (although did really throw her that I did my SSN in 3 segments of 3 digits, instead of the proper 3 digit-2 digit-4 digit manner). Go to read my bank routing number off a check, and I flip a bunch of numbers around while speaking (which is frustrating because it is the right way in my head). About the largest chunks I can handle is 4 digits, for my debit and credit cards.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote