Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-02-2012, 01:23 AM   #31
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by artifact View Post
Lois McMaster Bujold's Chalion series.
Read that following your recommendation and liked it so much that I followed it up with Sharing Knife. Loved it. I'll definitely put her other books in my list as what I've read so far was great.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:47 AM   #32
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Oh, I liked The Name of the Wind well enough. But I didn't enjoy what I consider to be the "world's longest prologue" enough to be strung along for two more behemoth books, before finding out that the "end" promised by Book Three is just an exercise in semantics. "Yeah... the 'end of the first trilogy.' What did you think I meant? The end of the whole Kvothe saga? Nah... I'll be milking this puppy for the next few decades."
I envy you.

I am still waiting for book 3 to be published, you already know the end :-)

BTW, for more reading suggestions, check out http://bestfantasybooks.com/top25-fantasy-books.php

Best regards,
Andy

Last edited by Andy_T; 05-02-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2012, 07:00 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
I really enjoyed the name of the wind I also liked the sequel as well and the third is probably my most anticipated book.
I found The Name of the Wind to be highly overrated.

And I am going tho mention this yet again until the OP decides to read it...

Drenai Saga 01 - Legend by David Gemmell.

Last edited by JSWolf; 05-02-2012 at 07:02 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:05 PM   #34
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
I want to rec The Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb. Especially if you liked A Song of Ice and Fire.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:50 AM   #35
VaporPunk
Evangelist
VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 + Asus Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
The Name of the Wind is very well written but the protagonist is far too perfect for my tastes. everyone likes him, he's immediately good at everything he tries, etc. he goes from being a great character to a grade-a smartass. the 1st half is fantastic but the 2nd half was a real eye-roller.
I'm about 1/2 through and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Its certainly a lot better written and more imaginative than 90% of the fantasy I've read so far. Not your standard Fantasy by any means. And Kvothe, while "gifted" to the extreme, is an arrogant bastard and not always all that likeable. And not everyone likes him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
I want to rec The Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb. Especially if you liked A Song of Ice and Fire.
I've heard nothing but good things about Robin Hobb but haven't read anything by her yet. She's on my TBR list though.
VaporPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert