Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 11-30-2011, 09:53 AM   #1
Pope Viper
Pope Viper began at the beginning.

Device: none
Combining Libraries/resource question

I have two libraries that I want combine, what is the best way to do this?

Also - Has anyone noticed any slowness in large libraries? I've got a library that is roughly 40Gb, with a 52Mb database.

It does seem to take a while to navigate, I was wondering if there might be any ways to optimize it.

Thanks!
Pope Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:17 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope Viper View Post
I have two libraries that I want combine, what is the best way to do this?

Also - Has anyone noticed any slowness in large libraries? I've got a library that is roughly 40Gb, with a 52Mb database.

It does seem to take a while to navigate, I was wondering if there might be any ways to optimize it.

Thanks!
I don't think the physical size of the Library (the books) matters to Calibre.
The size of the DB, does

Have you verified that the DB is still sound by running Library maintenance check? ( I would do this on both libraries and resolve all issues before proceeding anywhere. GIGO )

DRAM... As much as your OS supports (up to you hardware's limits)

Virtual memory (paging) on a separate drive and controller channel from the Library if possible
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2011, 09:15 PM   #3
capnm
Groupie
capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: sony
To combine the libraries select all the books and use the copy to library function --- and come back the next day
There are shortcuts, but they can easily become long detours when bad thing happen.

To optimize --
Depends what is slow ....

Some other things you can try (if you haven't already):

Upgrade to a recent version of calibre
Hide the tag browser & cover browser
Set your anti-virus to exclude files in your library folders
Set your anti-virus to exclude the calibre.exe and calibre-parallel.exe processes

Sorting on composite columns can slow it down a lot -- but it only happens once -- when you sort, or when you open the library. If you're talking about slow startup/library switching you may be doing a sort without realizing it.

Defragging the drive has helped some people.

Speed up slow searching by excluding the comments field (Preferences-Searching-Limit the searched metadata)
capnm is offline   Reply With Quote