Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 01-18-2013, 08:49 AM   #361
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerb View Post
His comment is at the very end of the blog entry
http://dsandrei.blogspot.co.uk/2012/...19243870487287
Incorrectly posted link. Please repost a correct link.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:04 PM   #362
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Try http://dsandrei.blogspot.co.uk/2012/...19243870487287
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2013, 06:39 PM   #363
Barb-B
Tech appreciator
Barb-B began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Kepler Pro (wow I love this reader!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb-B View Post
Kiwidude - I suppose I may not be the only person who suggested it, but I was thrilled to see your latest modification, allowing a command line method to use the plugin tools without adding a book to Calibre library. Thanks SO much!

I only found it because I came looking for the url to give someone I wanted to point here. I'll be sure to recommend a contribution as well...
@Kiwidude - I put off trying to figure out what to do with this new item until recently. I haven't been able to get it to work. Attached is a screenshot showing my PowerShell input and messages, along with the folder where I put the me.py file and the epub I wanted to fix. It worked just fine if I did it the manual import to Calibre way. Any chance you could help me understand what I've done wrong? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	259
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	100376  
Barb-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:14 PM   #364
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb-B View Post
@Kiwidude - I put off trying to figure out what to do with this new item until recently. I haven't been able to get it to work. Attached is a screenshot showing my PowerShell input and messages, along with the folder where I put the me.py file and the epub I wanted to fix. It worked just fine if I did it the manual import to Calibre way. Any chance you could help me understand what I've done wrong? Thanks!
The only thing I can think of is maybe the ePub has DRM and if so, dropping it into Calibre (with the proper plugins) is stripping the DRM and allowing Modify ePub to work.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:02 PM   #365
Barb-B
Tech appreciator
Barb-B began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Kepler Pro (wow I love this reader!)
@JSWolf - thanks for the suggestion. But I can assure it's DRM-free. Maybe Kiwi will still have some additional clue to offer...
Barb-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2013, 05:04 AM   #366
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
crashed sony PRs 650 afer using plugin

I put a retail epub into calibre, then used the plugin only to strip out ADOBE files & links i.e. ticked only those 2 boxes. The output looked fine in calibre & in sigil but when opened on Sony reader, it caused reader to crash & restart. No error message ( no invalid page error) - just white screen, couple of seconds delay then restart is observed

I am wondering why - I scrolled through this thread but saw no obvious explanation. it is time consuming to debug as it needs a physical connect device, send to device, eject... sequence.

I can work around it, so I am really just flagging this out of curiosity

I have checked
1. the unaltered retail epub opens OK on Sony reader.
2 the tweaked epub is now also OK after doing a calibre epub to epub convert (after stripping the adobe stuff.)

I also observe that this epub has an embedded set of charis fonts - dunno if that is relevant

I am left wondering what the plug-in could have done, or what I could accidentally done to cause the fail on Sony. I did what I usually do, which was to strip unwanted TOC, dedication, blurb... pages before using the plug-in, but that is usually harmless

Last edited by cybmole; 02-01-2013 at 05:06 AM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:35 PM   #367
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I've seen the code after Modify ePub does it's thing. Nothing I've seen would crash a 650. I suggest trying again without ePub > ePub converting.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:22 PM   #368
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ok - the crash is probably not worth pursuing. I must have done other manual damage via sigil before the modify epub. I re-tried only the modify step on the original source & the output opened OK in ADE.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:31 PM   #369
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
ok - the crash is probably not worth pursuing. I must have done other manual damage via sigil before the modify epub. I re-tried only the modify step on the original source & the output opened OK in ADE.
My 650 has only rebooted once and locked up once in it's life. I don't recall what caused the crash, but the lock was after adding a few books. It locked during the cover thumbnail creation. A simple reset and the 650 did create the thumbnails.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:47 AM   #370
cybmole
Wizard

it was not a lock up - it was a repeatable crash to restart triggered by trying to open that epub. so something in the epub code was causing it.
I do still have the file - as original-epub after running the calibre convert which fixed it; but with no clue as to what to look for I don't think it is a worthwhile exercise.
If I copy it to desktop, rename it as epub, and drop it into ADE I get " ADE has stopped working...".

I can open it OK in sigil & run validate with Flight Crew...
no significant errors - just some unreachable stuff e.g.
This OPS document is reachable but not present in the OPF <spine>. "Reachable" means that a reference of some kind that points to this resource exists in the epub.
& some complaint about content.opf version number

I can't post the problem book file due to copyright rules. I suppose I can PM or email it for diagnostics if anyone is interested but it is 4Mb as it contains many pictures

Last edited by cybmole; 02-02-2013 at 01:50 AM.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:52 AM   #371
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
I did what I usually do, which was to strip unwanted TOC, dedication, blurb... pages before using the plug-in, but that is usually harmless
When you say 'strip' you did make sure that any files you physically removed were also removed from the opf <manifest>, <spine> and <guide> sections, didn't you? Retaining references to non-existent files would cause problems.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:27 AM   #372
cybmole
Wizard

could be - I don't know how to edit .ofp - usually I just delete unwanted toc, dedication, epigraph... XHTML entries...
Old 02-02-2013, 12:14 PM   #373
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
could be - I don't know how to edit .ofp - usually I just delete unwanted toc, dedication, epigraph... XHTML entries...
It's possible that's your problem, then. If you're doing it via Sigil, I expect Sigil does some automatic opf-tidying-up as you remove chunks and save the changes. But I don't know it well enough to know in detail exactly what it does and doesn't clean up.

The <manifest> is a list (id, url, media-type) of all the files in the epub,
the <spine> is an ordered list of ids of the html files which will be displayed when you read the epub,
and the <guide> is... I'm not sure what it's purpose is in an epub but I think the items in there are used by Kindle formats.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:24 PM   #374
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
It's possible that's your problem, then. If you're doing it via Sigil, I expect Sigil does some automatic opf-tidying-up as you remove chunks and save the changes. But I don't know it well enough to know in detail exactly what it does and doesn't clean up.

The <manifest> is a list (id, url, media-type) of all the files in the epub,
the <spine> is an ordered list of ids of the html files which will be displayed when you read the epub,
and the <guide> is... I'm not sure what it's purpose is in an epub but I think the items in there are used by Kindle formats.
My observation
OPF (section) Cleanup does not always get done... Unless:

Manifest: you move an existing file. (you can move it back after a move)
Spine: rename the file
Guide: assign a semantic to a different file
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:10 PM   #375
cybmole
Wizard

yes I've wasted too much time on this already.
I love a mystery so I took a copy of the faulty version & tried deleting stuff bit by bit & dropping it back into ADE e.g. removed cover, notes, index... eventually it worked but when I started over & tried to replicate that, I failed.
I saw that with the fails, ADE could not produce a sensible thumbnail, but as I say, I cannot replicate the issue reliably so time to move on I think.
At some point I opened & closed the sigil metadata editor but repeating that action alone was insufficient.

The calibre epub to epub convert is a good alternative to banging your head against the wall - it seems to fix stuff that otherwise is not obvious.

I am inclined now to NOT blame the modify epub plugin - I think user error i.e. me, is a far more likely culprit

Tags
modify epub