Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-29-2011, 08:46 PM   #1
Agumon2011
Agumon2011 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Kobo Touch Won't Stay Connected to Wifi

So I got this thing for my birthday, and it wouldn't connect at all to my wireless network, so I took it back and got a replacement, this one does pretty much the same thing, it will connect, then I will go in to read a book, go to check something online and it won't connect to the wifi, it will connect through the store, but not when I set up the wireless through the wireless setup on the device.....HELP!
Agumon2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:19 AM   #2
Latch
Porcupine Tree fan
Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Which wireless encryption mode are you using?
Latch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2011, 12:01 PM   #3
Agumon2011

WPA 2
Old 09-30-2011, 12:22 PM   #4
Latch
Porcupine Tree fan
Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If this is your second Kobo that behaves the same way, and it works fine in the store when using their wifi then it might be your router. Is there a chance of interference between your router and the place you usually use your Kobo?
Old 09-30-2011, 12:25 PM   #5
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
I had exactly the same problem. I got around it by entering all my Wifi details MANUALLY instead of searching for my Wifi.
After that, it worked every time.

You can enter it manually by searching for a wifi, then press the + button to enter the wifi details.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2011, 01:25 PM   #6
Agumon2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latch View Post
If this is your second Kobo that behaves the same way, and it works fine in the store when using their wifi then it might be your router. Is there a chance of interference between your router and the place you usually use your Kobo?
Well my wireless router is located in my basement, and I am currently upstairs, however last night before I posted, I had set it up and it connected fine, but then it cut out and I haven't been able to get it back since.

My wireless is set to invisible, so I would have to manually enter it anyways, however, I went in to my router settings and changed it to visible, with no security, and it worked no problem.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:44 PM   #7
seabee
Connoisseur
seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kobo Mini
Not-really-invisible WiFi network

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agumon2011 View Post
Well my wireless router is located in my basement, and I am currently upstairs, however last night before I posted, I had set it up and it connected fine, but then it cut out and I haven't been able to get it back since.

My wireless is set to invisible, so I would have to manually enter it anyways, however, I went in to my router settings and changed it to visible, with no security, and it worked no problem.
Read that about invisible WiFi network: lots of problems (Hiding the Network Leads to Potential Connection Problems), not really hidden (Hidden Wireless SSIDs Actually Leak Your SSID Name) !
Just put a name on your network.
seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:58 PM   #8
Latch
Porcupine Tree fan

Quote:
router settings and changed it to visible, with no security, and...
Glad that you got it working but I wouldn't leave it totally open. Visible and WPA2.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:36 PM   #9
Agumon2011

Thanks for the help, folks!