Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-27-2011, 04:28 PM   #1
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
New Study Shows Ereader Ownership Growing Faster than Tablet Ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by paid content
A new Pew report shows that the number of U.S. adults who own a dedicated e-reader (like a Kindle or Nook) has doubled since November 2010, to 12 percent. That is much faster growth than predicted by a recent eMarketer survey, which predicted that e-reader ownership would not hit 12 percent until 2012. Meanwhile, the rate of tablet ownership appears to have slowed: Pew found that 8 percent of adults own a tablet, compared to 5 percent in November 2010.
http://paidcontent.org/article/419-n...ad-of-tablets/

My question is, how many adults are there in America?

Last edited by spellbanisher; 06-27-2011 at 04:35 PM.
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 04:35 PM   #2
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Some more charts and graphs

http://pewinternet.org/Reports/2011/...ts/Report.aspx

Last edited by spellbanisher; 06-27-2011 at 04:37 PM.
Advert
Old 06-27-2011, 04:40 PM   #3
Ditchleyportrait
Fanatic
Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
it used to be that ereaders had the same price point as tablets. i imagine tablet pricing will go down in a few years. i chose a kindle dx because i thought it would be nice to get away from the net. however, that view was naive. you're never away from the net. a device that handles both books and web surfing with a breeze is invaluable. nonetheless, i'm happy i have a kindle and not a tablet pc.

i think ereaders are a bit more popular because they're much cheaper today, and with the pearl screens, they boast a convincing reading experience to paper books.
Ditchleyportrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 04:45 PM   #4
spellbanisher
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchleyportrait View Post
chose a kindle dx because i thought it would be nice to get away from the net. however, that view was naive. you're never away from the net.
It's not that hard to get away from the net if you know which social groups to join.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:51 PM   #5
spellbanisher
Guru

Oops. I did not see that other thread. Hey mods, can you close or delete this thread?
Advert
Old 06-27-2011, 06:26 PM   #6
Ditchleyportrait
Fanatic
Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
yours had the nice graphics, though!

true with the amish picture. although i'm starting to think that tablets provide quick bouts of reading, not good for extended periods, but in this day and age, who really sits down and reads, and reads only? it seems that multitasking has become a fact of life because of the digital age and the internet, which i have trouble getting used to.

maybe i should've gotten the ipad.
Ditchleyportrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:48 PM   #7
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
. . . but in this day and age, who really sits down and reads, and reads only?
Raising my hand. Often for several hours a day. But then I do not buy the idea that one can multi-task while really reading with full appreciation and comprehension.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:18 PM   #8
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
... maybe i should've gotten the ipad.
I have an iPad and a KDXG.

I use the KDXG virtually every night, before I go to sleep.

I have not used the iPad in ages (I am not even sure in what drawer exactly it is....)

Tablets are good for certain people (and the iPad is probably the best of them), but I need to carry a laptop when I travel, so I find the iPad pointless in my case.

The eInk screen is much, much better for extended (anything over 30 minutes) reading, IMO.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:57 PM   #9
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
but in this day and age, who really sits down and reads, and reads only?
Me. A lot.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:43 PM   #10
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
I do and prefer it. I dislike being distracted when reading and my ereaders only distraction is when I reach the end of the page and need to "turn" it.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:17 PM   #11
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Huh. More men own eReaders than women. I guess it WAS economical/social after all and not a TABLET PR0N, EINK ROMANCE divide after all.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:18 AM   #12
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
I read all day long on an LCD: either source code, comments here or ebooks...
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:20 PM   #13
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
me. but to do that i usually make sure there is no other noise inside or outside the room, or else i'll get distracted. once i've achieved a good position on my bed, i prop up my kindle and read for 4-6 hours
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:53 PM   #14
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I get home after a fun 14-hour workday, pour myself a glass of Jameson, put on some jazz or some old swing singer, sit on my lounge chair on the balcony, puff on my Don Tomas and read. Well, I guess that is, technically speaking, multitasking....

Yet, I completely forgot my main reason for posting... how can I put it??? Well, let's call it 'skepticism'. I have given the numbers only a cursory look, but I just think there HAS to be something wrong here. I find it extremely hard to believe 12% of the adult US population has an ebook reader. That percentage is way, way too high. And almost a quarter of people who make above 75k? Even harder to swallow.

I am extremely skeptical of all polls and similar... you know what they say.... '90% of statistical results are made up'...

OK, well, I got myself curious now. Will dig into those numbers and methodology a bit.

EDIT:

As reported above, the sample is about 2800 people. That doesn't sound bad. I wonder if that is the number of responses or of contacts. They claim a margin of 2% - which makes sense, if those are actual responses.

Yet, something makes me wonder. Is there a huge response rate bias, when investigating something like this? As in - most people are just going to slam the phone when asked whether they own an ebook reader. But ebook reader owners are often enthusiastic, and often want to talk about it - these forums are a testament to that. If ebook reader owners are more likely to answer, then the findings would bias upwards the percentage of people owning ebook readers. Sure, there must be ways to correct for that - but not with a single sample of less than 3k.

I know, that is only a possibility, I am grasping at straws. But I just can't believe 12%.

Last edited by vxf; 06-30-2011 at 12:20 AM.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 03:42 AM   #15
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
It appeared from the tables that Hispanic people are enthusiastic techies.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote