Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-08-2011, 05:40 PM   #1
noahsmom
noahsmom is no ebook tyro.noahsmom is no ebook tyro.noahsmom is no ebook tyro.noahsmom is no ebook tyro.noahsmom is no ebook tyro.noahsmom is no ebook tyro.noahsmom is no ebook tyro.noahsmom is no ebook tyro.noahsmom is no ebook tyro.noahsmom is no ebook tyro.

Device: kindle and novel with kindle android installed
UPDATE!! My son is doing a science project... e-readers vs paperbooks!

Thank you all so much for all your help!!! He received an A on his presentation!

Here is the link to the presentation he created.
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B4o...thkey=CKO3pvUL
Here is a summary of the data collected!

Here are the conclusions he found!

Of the 625 readers:
118 people ONLY read E-books
113 people ONLY read paper books
358 people read both E readers and Paper books
36 people don’t read

Of the 6458 Books Read:
1283 were read by people
Who only read E- Books
1241 Paper books were ready by people who only read Paper Books

2754 E-Books were read by people who read both types
1180 Paper Books where read by people who read both types

Approximately 6458 Books were read by 625 People:
62.5% of the Books read were E-books
37.5% of the Books read were Paper Books

358 People who use an e-reader also read paper books.
70% of the books they read were E books
noahsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:56 PM   #2
shootingMaNs
later...
shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600, iRiver Story HD, Nook Color Kobo Libra H2O
Awesome!! Nice job!!
shootingMaNs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2011, 09:11 PM   #3
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I looked at his presentation. He did a very good job. He definitely should be proud of himself.

P.S. I'm glad I participated .
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:24 PM   #4
MmavisO
Seeker
MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus TF, PB 360, Jetbook Lite
Excellent! Thank you for reporting back to us! Now, for a survey question for your son (Inquiring minds want to know): What is his preferred method of reading (if any)?
MmavisO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:26 PM   #5
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
One thing that I always encourage my children to put into their reports, especially when it involves some sort of survey or experiment, is an introspection section or sorts where they discuss the potential flaws with their methodology, how it might affects the results, and what further measurements/surveys/etc could be done to come up with a better solution.

They've been doing this since their third grade science fair projects, and even though I make them do them alone (with the help of leading questions and suggested reading, but not the actual work) they've always scored very well.

Did you talk to him at all about the problems with surveys, particularly online surveys? I worry that children often get the wrong idea when they do these reports that this is how statistics and measurements are taken -- it reinforces the poor understanding of numbers that most people have (something I blame the schools for, for not teaching them to think critically).
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2011, 10:03 PM   #6
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Your son did an excellent job and you both have good reason to be proud. Was this for college, or high school?

One question about the stats though. Of the 625 readers, 36 don’t read? Are they magazine readers?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:07 AM   #7
JoelArnold
Fanatic
JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
That's great! Plus, the results are interesting.
JoelArnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:35 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
But how was the survey conducted? If it was an online survey, that would bias the results; people who use the Internet are much more likely to use ebook readers than people who don't.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:46 PM   #9
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But how was the survey conducted? If it was an online survey, that would bias the results; people who use the Internet are much more likely to use ebook readers than people who don't.
If I recall correctly, the presentation stated that he surveyed people on the internet, friends and family, and people in bookstores.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:11 PM   #10
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Congrats on the A Noah.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:02 PM   #11
witeowl
Hopeless Geek
witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color (manual nooter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't think that was the central question, though. It appears as if he was investigating whether people with eReaders read more. Of course, understanding causation vs. correlation as well as most 6th graders (which neither more nor less than the majority of adults), the conclusion was backwards, in my opinion. He concluded that people with eReaders read more books; I would be tempted to reverse it and say that people who read more books are more likely to have eReaders.

Nonetheless, a fine study for a 6th grader. Better than what I've seen from many middle school students.
witeowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:19 PM   #12
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by witeowl View Post
...Nonetheless, a fine study for a 6th grader. Better than what I've seen from many middle school students.
Agreed. Better, in fact, than some work I've seen turned by college students.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:39 PM   #13
SylvieB1984
Enthusiast
SylvieB1984 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I think he did an awesome job on his project! I was sure it was done by someone in high school rather then in elementary school! A well deserved A... I would even say A+
SylvieB1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:47 PM   #14
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Agreed. Better, in fact, than some work I've seen turned by college students.
Do you teach college students WT Sharpe?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:07 AM   #15
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

No, but I've seen college students who couldn't tell the difference between capitalist and communistic economic systems, nor even explain which system we were supposed to be living under. That's pretty bad. Granted, these students aren't the norm, but they're out there.

I don't think I have the aptitude or patience for teaching.