Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 10-20-2011, 10:23 AM   #1
qtgemini26
qtgemini26 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire
Question Trouble Converting in calibre/need to re size doc

Hi all, I'm new to this forum. i've been using Calibre for a few weeks and haven't had any trouble converting some other pdf files (except I can't seem to get the font big enough...) but I keep trying to convert the attached file and it comes out all wonky. Can anyone help me figure out what the problem is?

Also, the file is so big and I have tried a few different programs on the internet to downsize it, as well as many suggestions such as print to pdf, re-save as, etc- and I can't get the file any smaller!

Any input on these two issues would be greatly appreciated! I have a kindle fire on order and would love to be able to put my pdf docs on it as soon as I get it!
Moderator Notice
Forum rules prohibit posting copyrighted material. Removed

Last edited by theducks; 10-20-2011 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Removed copyrighted material
qtgemini26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:29 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtgemini26 View Post
Any input on these two issues would be greatly appreciated! I have a kindle fire on order and would love to be able to put my pdf docs on it as soon as I get it!
First, There are sticky posts in the sub-forums with good information. This is a PDF conversion problem, so read the "Read this before Posting PDF Questions" sticky post.

Second, You should be in luck in that the Kindle Fire should have access to a good PDF viewing App so conversion shouldn't be needed.

Third, If you want further help you need to provide more info than "it comes out all wonky."
Moderator Notice
Last, Thread moved to Conversion sub-forum.
DoctorOhh is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2011, 05:39 PM   #3
qtgemini26

Wonky attached

Thank you for your help! I've attached a copy of the Calibre conversion of my document to mobi so you can see what I mean by "wonky".

Actually, I converted it just now and it's different than yesterday. Yesterday it had weird lines and some words here and there, but today it has no text (after conversion) only the banner that is across the background saying "approval draft" in the original document.
Attached Files
File Type: mobi LIVING CLEAN THE JOURNEY CONTINUES - Unknown.mobi (5.53 MB, 170 views)
Old 10-20-2011, 05:56 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Read the Sticky Post I linked to. This is an image based PDF.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:57 PM   #5
qtgemini26

Another question: I have this document in book format and scanned it in an email to myself, which automaticlly puts it in pdf format, then convert it to mobi. Should I have done this a different way?
Advert
Old 10-20-2011, 05:57 PM   #6
qtgemini26

Quote:
Thank you for your help! I've attached a copy of the Calibre conversion of my document to mobi so you can see what I mean by "wonky".

Actually, I converted it just now and it's different than yesterday. Yesterday it had weird lines and some words here and there, but today it has no text (after conversion) only the banner that is across the background saying "approval draft" in the original document.
ok thanks.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:05 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Another question: I have this document in book format and scanned it in an email to myself, which automaticlly puts it in pdf format, then convert it to mobi. Should I have done this a different way?
Again PDF is an awful source format to use to convert to any other format, read the sticky post.

I don't know the answer to your question, you might want to look at this forum area for info on creating or scanning books.

Good Luck.