Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-08-2011, 10:39 AM   #1
brewt
Boo-Frickety-Hoo-Erizer
brewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo HD!
XSL, ADE & Readers

Usually, the mention of XSL around here gets one spat at - I'll hold my face up strong and proud for the spitter-want-er-do-ers.

One of the features/complaints abut ADE is that it supports XSL:FO, as a way to extend the limitations that the epub spec put down for css. As it hasn't been officially blessed the the EPUB Spec Crowd, it is often looked down upon by the purists who foresee doom for those who use it, as there is, supposedly, a day out there that is will no longer function, rendering all that work useless as the new spec get written into the epub rendering softwares, and oh my gosh, where's my spittoon?

So, the questions are:

Just how much of the XSL spec is achievable with ADE?
Are there cool things we can do with the conditional formatting there (supposing we could survive the spit)?
Are there are readers that are based on ADE that support it as well? And, what are their limitations?

Closing my eyes, ready,
-brewt
brewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:44 PM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
So far, I've only used it to "hide" elements that are not supported by ADE, in particular the "display: oeb-page-head", which should not be included in the text flow, yet ADE does. I explained the trick here, it works fine in my Cybook.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2011, 10:55 AM   #3
brewt
Boo-Frickety-Hoo-Erizer
brewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enough

So, I wonder if I can use it to detect the reader (beyond ADE-edness). Because there are some font tricks I want to use, but, barring embeddment, I'd have to know what the fonts on the target device actually are, and adjust the spacings in css accordingly. If the ADE engine can report that, and adjust some numbers in the css for me, lazy bum I am, not wanting to re-render device-specifically, my mood would improve.
My embedder works fine; my font encrypter is on the fritz, so I'm hesitant to distribute stuff with unencrypted fonts; real fonts, not public domain fonts. Yeah, I know - I've got my glasses on, go ahead.
-b
Old 02-09-2011, 12:24 PM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I don't think you can detect the font used. Even if you could detect the reader, some readers let you change the font (e.g. the Cybooks), so there's no guarantee it's using the "default" font. You are already setting the spacing in "em" units, aren't you?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:22 PM   #5
brewt
Boo-Frickety-Hoo-Erizer

Yes, "em"-ming fine, thanks. But as my encrypter is still on the fritz, embedding is a for-my-eyes-only affair, as I'm reluctant to ship some embedded stuff out without it. I could go indesign, but I still don't like it - would rather use calibre/dreamweaver/word - it suits me. So I'll still wait until I can wise up on the encryption problem.
Murmph.
-b
Advert