Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-25-2011, 07:47 AM   #1
mikegetz
Professional Nerd
mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook WiFI, KOBO, Pandigital Novel Personal
Rooting 10047* hw / 1.4.3 native w/o router?

ok - so i have rooted/hacked things before, but never an ereader ... so i'm not technically inept. I do have A+ and NET+ certs, and work as a desktop engineer / packager / tier 3 desktop support.

so, i thought that my nook (wifi) had been reset before i got it from CL. i was working under the assumption that 1.5.0 was the base firmware installed. So, after reading up on nookdevs i decided that the least hassle method would be the browser crash method.

And it went well, at first. within 20 minutes, i had crashed the browser, pulled the init.rc, and modified. i had pushed the bin file, chmod'd and gained root.
at that point, i tried to push the init file, literally, 50 times before the nook locked up. ok, reboot and start over. on the 3rd reboot, the first time i launch the browser, it crashes, and goes straight back to the home screen.

great. so i had root 3 times, but could not keep it.

so i hard reset. fallback OS load initiates. to 1.4.3 - imagine my surprise. So i whip out my laptop, disable my router's wifi radio (cable modem / switch / router combo - meh), and start installing things to use the no-router method.

I unregistered and re-registered the nook, and the software update started - and finished? what? now, my nook is back on 1.7 ...

so the point to these ramblings is, my router / modem / AP is not robust enough to pull off the router method. Thanks, Time Warner. I literally spent 6 hours messing with this yesterday. now, i could see if one of the network guys has a spare cisco router and AP i could use for a while, but then i got to learn how to wrestle a cisco router via console, and i'm a windows guy myself. it might hurt my brain.

anyone have any suggestions, or is rooting the classic nooks just not new enough for anyone to care anymore?
mikegetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:03 AM   #2
mikegetz
Professional Nerd
mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook WiFI, KOBO, Pandigital Novel Personal
and as a little added bonus, it seems that my nook is now locking up randomly.
mikegetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert